Did you ever buy makeup from TV?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    When I was a teen, my mother bought me Victoria Jackson makeup from the television. It came with all the makeup, brushes, a video on how to apply makeup like a professional artist, and flash cards for easy steps. This was one of the best makeups I have ever used, and to this day I still use the application techniques. I don't see the commercials anymore, but the website is still selling the product. It was so good, I used to buy the travel kits for my sisters. I think it might be time to go shopping now!

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought makeup on TV or online. I would be hesitant to do it because i'd like to try it before buying it but if I found a good deal and had used the product before I would buy it from TV. For things like brushes and accessories I'd definitely buy it too.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like to order things like makeup or hair products from TV because there are two beauty supply stores close to my home, so I don't have to pay shipping charges to buy professional grade products or brushes. I honestly hate ordering from TV because they charge high shipping charges and sometimes bill you for extras that you didn't want.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Though I've not used it personally, Bare Minerals is actually really good make up from what I hear. They started as a TV-only product for a while there, but I'm pretty sure you can now get it at places like Ulta.

I have several friends who swear by it.

Personally, I like to be able to try things out first, so I usually head to a counter in a department store. And I'm a creature of habit. Once I find something I like, I stick with it. I haven't strayed too far from Lancome make up and Clinique mascara in a long time. I like Philosophy too, but I only tried that because I received a gift when I was a bridesmaid.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my gravy, Victoria Jackson makeup, I haven't heard those products mentioned in years! Had totally forgotten about them. I bought some of that makeup years ago, I don't remember what happened to it, I still might have some of it stored in my garage somewhere.
    I remember the flash cards, and I remember how creamy and smooth some of the makeup was. You have me wanting to buy some now (well, not right now, but in the not too distant future:D).

I bought some Bare Minerals makeup a few years ago from TV. That make-up is pretty good, and kind of easy to use. I haven't used it in awhile though.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy makeup from TV. I prefer to buy them in stores where I can see samples and compare prices. People have been talking about Bare Minerals but I personally haven't used it. When my means permit me to or when I have the time to read details about that product, maybe I can give it a try. For now, I'm satisfied using In2It, Nichido and Maybelline products.

7. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Before Bare Minerals, there was something called Sheer Cover. I really liked this, and it covered my pimples really well. The problem was the cream concealer that broke me out more. So then I tried Bare Minerals, and they too broke me out. But it seemed to be only certain colors. I love the lipstick, it is very creamy, but it comes off too quickly and does not set.

Winnie... do you remember the song? "I love the way you look. I see a change. Should be on the cover of a book. I see a change. Oh baby. Oh baby, I looooovvee the way you look!"

8. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. I was tempted to buy Bare Minerals but thought better of it. Seems like a good call. I really have to stick to Mac, but the prices are way up there. I often wait for sales or gift cards.

9. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    I ordered Sheer Cover after seeing one of their commercials. If I remember the details right, I got five pieces from them, including mineral makeup, concealer, and mascara, for $29.95.

I was very happy with the products they sent, but I was unable to create an online account. Calls to customer service confirmed the fact that they were "having problems" with their site, and that went on for a few weeks.

I do have to say that people literally stopped me on the street to tell me I had beautiful skin. And I vividly remember walking into a meeting a few minutes late, and the woman who was speaking at the time looked up at me and stopped what she was saying. She said, "You have the most gorgeous skin!"

Obviously, this was a selling point! So I called and ordered a few more things for them to send me out for my first club order, and I had her change the date to three months from that date.

I was very happy with those items as well. I felt gorgeous!

But the next month, I got a box of makeup from them that I didn't order. And it was a couple of months earlier than I had agreed to.

There was an invoice inside which

I called their customer service, and they told me that the order I had put in did not satisfy the requirements for a monthly order and that it was "extra." It also indicated that the box was a $90.00 item (!!!) and that I would be billed in three $30.00 monthly payments.

We got into a little tiff when I told her that I had changed the timing and was not supposed to have to make a choice for another couple of months.

I ended up quitting their "club" and they did indeed take out the $90.00.

So while I absolutely loved the product, I honestly felt like I was being robbed, and I haven't used them again.

10. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I used Victoria Jackson's Make up years ago. What did I think about it, well its definitely better then most makeup sold in stores. In fact, at the time I used it I was using store bought cheap make up and was getting criticized for having line marks on my face. In other words the make up wasn't blending right. I saw an infomercial for Victoria Jackson's makeup one morning and decided to try it. It wasn't cheap, but one of the things I liked about it, beside the makeup quality itself was the Jackson did an instruction video. Through this video I learned more about applying make up then I did before. Needless to say the first time I used her makeup it was like night and day with my face, I got complements about how flawless my skin looked.

Now do I still use her makeup. No I don't, I have now started using natural type makeups like Bare minerals, these are just as good and are made from natural ingredients.

11. MsCalamityJane

MsCalamityJaneNew Member

Threads:
    Me!

The first makeup set I purchased off an infomercial was Lauren Hutton's Face Disc. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that they were signing me up for their membership deal where they would be sending me additional ones every few months. I never did finish with the first one, but all these years later I still have two more that have never been opened and are still in bubblewrap. Why don't I just throw those out???

My second experience was with bareMinerals and I continue to use their products to this day. My daughter (23) even uses it now, after I took her into one of their retail stores and had her makeup done by an assistant. I'm so glad they sell it in stores, because if I had to purchase with autofill I'd probably buy something else. Their infomercial got me to order the first time and now whenever I see another one it makes me want to go buy more! :)

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been much of a television watcher; and i don't remember actually seeing any infomercials for makeup, at least not recently. I think I did watch some when I was single; but obviously, this is not something that my husband is going to have the TV tuned to.

I have bought makeup from online, and think that probably Avon would be what i have purchased online the most.
    Many years ago, there was something called "Cosmetique" or words along that line; and they sent out a kit every 3 months or so.
    Before you signed up, you filled out a profile, so the kits were tailored to products you would be apt to like and use. The first kit was either free or really cheap.
    I enjoyed getting the kits, and seeing what fun makeup choices they had sent me.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I vaguely remember Cosmetique, I googled it and looked at their website briefly, but didn't recognize any of the products. I remember buying some "Jafra" years ago. Ever heard of them??

I love buying things, I might have a serious problem, Lol, but I don't have the budget to really shop like how I want to. I love shopping for (read: looking at and dreaming about the day that I can buy) Avon, and if I happen to come across one of their handy, dandy catalogs, I feel thrilled!! Sometimes there will be a few on display in a small neighborhood market or something like that.

If I come across a Mary Kay catalog, I feel like I've struck gold:rolleyes:. I like to watch TV, and I love watching channels where you can shop. I have been know to watch QVC like it is an actual TV show.

#13Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I can't say I have. TV shopping channels like QVC really hold no appeal to me. For some reason, they just have a slight (dare I say) tacky feel to them. I've come across some really nice and known brands being sold on there, but it's still never been enough for me to want to buy from them.

Besides, with makeup I much prefer to go in; touch it, feel it and maybe even sample it on my skin to be absolutely certain. Maybe if I saw my absolute favourite Yves Saint Laurent foundation and Estee Lauder products, I'd soon change my mind LOL

15. MsJLO

MsJLONew Member

Threads:
    I also fell for the Victoria Jackson make up back in the day. They really made it look so good on t.v. Matching my skin tone however was not that easy. I have also gotten Bare Minerals, the first 2 times I ordered it, (again they make it look so convincing) I didn't feel like it was doing anything. Then I saw videos on youtube showing that you really have to keep blending even though you don't think there is anything left on the brush. Wow, it made a very big difference. I am still ordering it now.

16. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I would be hesitant to buy something like makeup on TV. I don't wear much make up, but I do have my brands. When I feel like getting something new, I would rather go in the stores and color match to my skin tone by spreading a bit on my hand or, in some stores, they even have a make up artist putting it on you and giving you suggestions! Just a better shopping experience for me.