Did you start saving early?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by nwitt • Mar 23, 2014.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had been saving money since I was in grade school. There was a campaign by a savings bank here (Banco Filipino) for school children to learn how to save money. However, the money I had saved was always used to buy gifts for occasions. At least those savings of mine afforded me to provide gifts to almost anyone in the family. And when I got a job, saving is not difficult since I had acquired the habit already.

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I started saving right from when I was a child, and was always taught that it was by far the best thing to do in order to set yourself up for life. I now know plenty about how to make money go further, and how to put some away for the future, and I am very thankful indeed that I have managed to learn those lessons, because I know that my finances would be nowhere near as positive as they would have been without those types of lessons to fall back on. Saving is important, however you should remember that it is vital that you enjoy your life, too!

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Both my parents and teachers taught me the importance of saving and I used to do it regularly in childhood and throughout my early teens, when I began to feel the need to buy stuff when my parents wouldn't give it to me.

From then onward, it was saving money and eventually spending it, but leaving an investment account always up, kind of emergency fund. Everything was going finance with my finances until banks and stores began to offer me credit cards for no reason at all.

In my "best" moment, I had 30 different credit cards and summing up the credit limit of all altogether it was more than $100,000 that I made the mistake to believe was "my money available" when my income was far from cover such amount of money for "random" expenses.

Needless to say I began a credit landslide from which I'm not fully recovered yet, but I learned my lesson. Even though I have no chances to get any credit card today, and my income is not enough for savings. Any time I try, i have to make use of such money for immediate basic needs.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it doesn't matter how much one saves. As long as you can save enough to cover all your expenses for six months, that's long enough time to find other ways to earn some income if say, you lose a job or a business you've invested in collapses. It's never too late to start saving.

5. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I unfortunately decide to save money recently. I am saving to travel (exchange) because this is an important point to achieve a good job in the future. thereunto, I save all amount of money achieved from freelance job.

6. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I started saving when I was 13 but like many other people, I only saved to buy stuff I didn't have. At the age of 18 my bank account was blocked twice because I didn't make use of it. I am 20 now and I have saved around $450 dollars this year. I hope I will be able to save more in future.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I started saving as soon as started my career. My father always thought that saving at least 30% of what you earn and reinvest it in different secured savings helps live a happy life if you saved for a period of only 20 years. Incidentally we have no government support for old age or any other pension for private sector especially unorganized sector.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If I did start to save when I was younger I wouldn't be going through such tough times. Now I have a child and no money to fall back on that was one big mistake I did. I don't feel bad for myself but for my daughter but I am still thankful I can provide for her although we are sometimes short.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I did not start saving until I got married. Before I married, I used to deposit, what ever I earned, in my bank account. However, over the days, I withdrew and spent the money in food, drinks, clothes, weekend celebrations, etc. When I decided to get married, I did not have money. I had to burrowed.After marriage, I began paying debts, which taught me a lesson.

10. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I have been saving since my school days. Whatever my parents used to give as pocket money, I used to save a percentage. That way I managed to save the money good enough to open a bank account. However, that early habit of saving still persists.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I did start saving early however, I had aims for saving and I used all my savings for that particular goal it continued to be so until all the major goals had been reached.

Now I save for future. Although, in the next 4 years I see myself still spending very huge chunks for an unavoidable need.

12. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    What source have you used to save money? Freelance jobs? Money got from your parents?

13. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, as a little girl in primary school I started saving my pennies and birthday money early. My parents insisted to try and get me into good habits.

Those early savings were then blown on a bike several years later, but since the bike let me get my first job (paper round) I think it was money well spent...

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Yap, when I was a kid. But my savings are in the form of coins not in bills. I saved those coins in a bamboo made for the purpose of saving those coins. I saved a reasonable amount for my Christmas needs and other personal necessities for my school, among others.