Digging A Borehole To Reduce Water Bills

Discussion in Water started by ADSSOLSN • Apr 19, 2017.

1. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    my grandfather recently dug a borehole to reduce water bill in our homestead.
    we used to pay over $35 per month on water bill, but with the bore hole, we only use $10 for the power used to pump the water.
    have you thought of reducing water bills in your house?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    In my area alnost every building has its own borewell these days. You are right it helps save a lot. Infact if you live in an apartment you may just have to share the electricty bill.

Bore is a very good idea especially in places where municipality water is quite unstable.

3. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Where we live it is both urban and on clay hills so drilling for water (or anything else) is completely prohibited. It would be too easy to destabilise a layer and bring down a landslip or even houses. The last time a layer moved around here it dropped a road surface by twenty feet.

Storing your own water even if we can't get a well is a very good idea. Even rainbarrels can save enough to last and drop water and sewerage bills, and most people I know have them.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm only paying the equivalent of $4 each month for my household's water bill. This is the minimum bill by our utility provider, a government-owned company, and it is good for 10 cubic meter of usage. Our goal is to stay within the minimum while not going too low. When it's almost the meter reading time and we still haven't hit 9 cubic meter consumption, we normally store up water in barrels so we can use it for the following month. During summer when water consumption is bound to go up, we have to strictly monitor our usage. We're just fortunate that our subdivision is sourcing its water from the local water district. Some areas here derive their water from their own subdivision which charges considerably higher rates. My office mate who come from a big family shared that they bring loads of laundry whenever they go on an outing and wash their clothes using free resort water.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well this one sounds a little more extreme than some of the ordinary steps that I take but I can certainly not rule it out. I might have to learn a lot more about what to do but I am open to it.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Metro Manila, it is prohibited to make a borewell. We have that in the olden days when there was no water system yet. People would line up to the water well with their pails and buckets. Old wells here are still being used for purposes of watering the garden. But making a new borewell would be a risk if someone would report you to the authorities. Our only recourse to save on water for the garden is to collect rainwater. Using our old 5-gallon containers that we used for drinking water, we have lots of rainwater in reserve for the garden.

7. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    a well seems out of option for some but for us we need it, as we live in the country side. our homestead covers a large area with a big part being a garden where we grow vegetables which have to be watered in dry seasons. we also rear cows, sheep and chicken which further increase the need for water.
    you can now understand why a well was necessary.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Where I live, I don't think I would be granted a permit to drill a hole to obtain water for domestic purposes. I live in an urban area and it's mandatory to access water from the utility company.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Here, every apartment has a bore well as the government water supply is irregular. Due to this, the ground water level is alarmingly depleting. To cope with this situation, now government has come up with some rules to stop indiscriminate digging of bore wells.
    However, having a bore well saves a lot of money and decrease the water bill almost by halves.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its a good idea to dig boreholes especially in arid areas or where
    water sources are far from the homestead. It has to be stated that the
    initial capital outlay of digging a borehole is high but it pays
    dividends even in the short run especially when they are used in
    commercial ventures. Boreholes are good where there are high overheads
    in institutions like schools contributing to the economies of scale.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes of course a borehole saves you the extra cost and stress you invest in water bill. It even goes to cover for you in times of scarcity of water. For example, in developing countries, water is a very good commodity and a good number of people invest in its sale and distribution.

Having a borehole dug does one a great deal of good when it's dry season. Scarcity and lack of adequate will turn out not to be an issue for the individual involved. The only thing I can think of that hinders most people in taking up borehole construction is the financial outlay.

12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a borehole but I am not using it, I thought that the electricity will cost me more than paying the water. As you say you reduced your bills with 25 dollars a month, I think it worth it. I will make a test and use it for a couple of months to see if I save some money or not!

13. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    Well, it is good to think and plan on how to reduce water bills with every penny and opportunity that is available towards the same. In my opinion, digging a borehole is quite a good idea to deal with because it does not only reduce the water bills but also makes water available even when the normal supply agents fail to supply enough water for our daily usage.

14. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the suburbs so utility service especially water are hard to come by. You have to make provisions on your own so almost every household has a Borehole. You can't rely on the Government. So yes it saves the extra money of having to pay for water.

It is also giving me concerns as the rate of digging boreholes around here is alarming. Most of them are not permitted and proper Environmental impact assessment isn't carried out before digging. I'm worried about the future implications