Diy Wedding Stuff

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Jan 23, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Diy is hot in most areas right now. People are learning how to do-it-yourself with just about everything. One of the things that I noticed being rather popular lately is DIY wedding stuff. That makes sense to me.

I never did understand people going into debt (some of them BIG debt) over it. I mean, yeah, it should be beautiful, but there are ways to save money at the same time.

Did you (or are you) DIY some wedding stuff? Do you know anyone who has done it?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:First I've heard of it and wanted to find out more about it and I'll return later to read up here. I do know that people elope to save money on weddings and let everyone know later that they got married or have an internet connect wedding. I'll be back here to read up on it.

3. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I never understood why people feel the need to go overboard on wedding details either. I guess it's just because it's the one special day and it means a lot, but still it doesn't need to be that expensive. You can make it pretty cheap and still have it look beautiful and well put together. I went the DIY route and did it a lot more simple than a lot of other people.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I personally made our wedding give-away for our friends and guests. We were able to save a lot on them because the cost of the materials were far cheaper compared to buying ready made ones. Plus, we were sure that no one has the same give-away as ours because we were the ones who designed and crafted them. There's also a certain feeling of joy and pride when your guests appreciate the work and effort you have done. :)

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you, @Zyni@Zyni! I hear of people taking out hefty loans to fund lavish weddings, and I just cringe. It's especially sad when you hear that long before the ink has dried on the marriage certificate, some are already headed for the divorce courts!

My wedding was on a shoe string budget, but was still a lovely, intimate affair. We bought a lot of stuff from good old Marks and Spencer and fashioned them into wedding versions LOL We bought gorgeous flowers from there, and a few, different size fruit cakes that we then stacked on top of each other for the tiered effect. We then decorated the 'wedding cake' with ribbons and other stuff we got from there. I did my own hair and makeup. My 'wedding dress' was this pretty, party dress that was off-white and could pass for an understated, but elegant wedding dress. We had a great wedding at a snip of the standard price :) It really can be done, if you engage a little of the brain matter.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those sound like lovely ideas, @Lushlala@Lushlala. I'm all for employing some creativity instead of whipping out the credit card. Nicely done.

I just can't fathom people who bury themselves in debt from the beginning or worse, ask their parents to take out second mortgages on their homes, just to pay for a party. I do get that it's THE big day, but it can still be great without ransoming anyone's future.

I've seen some really gorgeous options for doing things yourself, and you don't have to do everything yourself. Every little bit helps.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know, @Zyni@Zyni! It's crazy, right? We all want a lavish wedding, but not all of us have the kind of money it takes to have one, so we just have to improvise. When you have friends and family around you, it also becomes easier, because you'll find that some of them have skills and interests you didn't even know about, which they'll eagerly employ to assist in creating a fantastic day for you.

The idea to get the flowers and cakes from Marks and Spencer came about for us because wherever we went, each time we mentioned the word wedding, the prices would suddenly sky rocket. So in the end, we bought non-wedding items from a posh store, which were way cheaper but arguably better quality. The bottom line is, we had a beautiful wedding that everyone who attended told us was one of the best weddings they'd ever attended. All on a very tight budget, with no loan in sight. To hear people say they had fun; that was the cherry on top for me :)