Do Electric Fences Affect Your Electricity Costs?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by lucykey • Oct 14, 2017.

1. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    I have always wondered how people manage their electricity bills with the electric fences. I personally have not had the chance to install them around my perimeter wall due to my perception towards them of consuming a lot of electricity by this I manage my bills comfortably.

Does this affect your electricity costs?

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

The energizer is plugged into a battery which you are charging and so the electric fence uses the electricity all the time. The battery can still last for more than 6 hours when power is off and this can be helpful especially at night.

I doubt if it affects electricity costs. It uses only little electricity and you won't notice a change in your electricity bill if you decide to use an electric fence.

3. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    I do have an electric fence around my house. Generally it does not affect my electric bill much because its use is only at night as mildredtabitha has said. It may sometimes be costly to have an electric fence because when animals and burglars try to enter the premises forcefully they trigger an electrocution which drains the battery very fast. If your home gets this kind of unwanted visitors regularly then your electric bill may sky-rocket every month causing you to rethink having the fence at all. It is better to install an electric fence in a safe neighbourhood to protect your family against burglars "if" they show up rather than having one in a crime-infested neighbourhood where cases like this occur everyday.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes do wonder if it would be costly to maintain an electric fence. My belief is that once it has been acivated, it should be consuming energy, even if it's only on a small scale, just like, for example a refrigerator, and there should be a spike in energy use when it's contacted by an intruder. However, in my location it's illegal to have an electric fence because the law does not allow it.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you mean by electric fence is the laser that will trigger an alarm when an intruder breaks the barrier, it definitely consumes electric power the moment it is plugged in and running. But the consumption is very minimal since it can be considered as pilot light only.

6. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    Electric fence has a low impact in an electric bill. I have been checking power meter since it installed an electric fence.

A electric fence has consumed 3.6 kw/month in my home what is the same consumes that a radio.

7. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of people assume that electric fences consume and use a lot of electricity which is wrong it's the opposite they consume so low.