do-it-yourself

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by thomas pendrake • Nov 28, 2013.

1. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    I think you should start off small and work your way up so you don't get discouraged. There are some small DIY projects that can help you both to save some money and to help you get the skills you need to tackle larger and more beneficial DIY projects. I like the solar idea but I've also done some minor outlet installs and did just a little wiring that gives me some background to do this.

2. DjoBoy

DjoBoyNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, DIY save a lot of money. A lot of the already build products cost more, also applies to the computers. Building a computer saves like $200~.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    This suggestion!

Please get a DIY section on the forum going!
    That would generate a lot of awesome information!

4. deebee

deebeeNew Member

Threads:
    DIY projects are so inexpensive and fun. I often have this debate with a close friend of mine. It does not matter how large or small the task is, she immediately wants to hire someone. Although she has money, she is always complaining about how much she spends. She is a stay at home mom so she does have the time as well. I tell her all the time to try and do things herself. This will cut down on some of these project expenses. More than half of these projects are not even necessary. In the end, it is not my house so it is not my decision. I on the other hand will educate myself on how to get the job done. We have the internet and library access to obtain the information.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    DIY are very inexpensive, because generally you're paying for labor costs when you hire someone else to do it. However, most people have no idea what they are doing which is why it deters them from trying. I'll work on certain things around the house, but something like electrical wiring I will not touch. My husband can do stuff like install light fixtures and fans, but for serious wiring stuff he won't touch either.

6. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    Love this thread. Why is this not a section? I have a DIY project anyone can do to add ambiance to almost any room.

It is cheap and easy with any design you can imagine or want. paper-sillhousetter.

I did this for my son's room with different shadows from different superheroes and he really loves it. DIY projects don't have to be costly or time consuming. I have made a kid's chair out of a plastic pallet and two old pillows covered in material salvaged from an old couch. Wooden pallets are also very easy to take apart and modify for DIY projects.

#26Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our washing machine stopped pumping out the water, I went online found a video, purchased the agator dogs and repaired the washing machine. With the internet it is easy to learn to make simple repairs around the house or car. Sewing and repairing simple alterations on your clothes is another easy DIY.

8. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I read how to change a washer in a leaking faucet and did it. I had to borrow some tools from my uncle, who is a contractor but other than that I figured it out. It took me some time but was definitely a boost of self esteem.

9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I was sick for awhile and we also had some unwelcome company (someone asked to stay for 3 days while he handled some court problems on his mother's estate and stayed for 3 months and was a pest) and hadn't looked at this thread for a while. I am proud of the way it has gone, keep it up. i grew up in a family of people who could and did do practically anything. One grandfather was a mining engineer and one of the founders of UF, and the other was a rancher and had been a CCC engineer. Dad was a high ranked military expert on electronic warfare and also military air transport. When I was young, Dad created and installed our own central air system and built a cabin cruiser in our back yard.

#29Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the feeling you get when you have done something takes a little learning and is out of your comfort zone. It gives you the confidence to try something else and before you know it you are an expert.

11. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    In some areas, do-it-yourself is producing significant changes in consumer behavior. For example on the web. It is becoming an increasingly visible format to make a website in a "do it yourself" fashion.

When the client experiences the feeling of creating is hard for him/her not to want to do it again.

If you can complete and design your own website the main benefit you'll get is the absolute control over the content and appearance of it, as a finished product of your own. It is also free of maintenance fees and extra costs for adaptations in the design or content updates.

In the web field, "do it yourself" is here to stay.

12. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I like DYI videos. When there is something that I think I can do in order to save time and money, I always go to youtube for help. You can find almost everything that that you want to do on there. The best thing about YouTube is some videos show you step by step so you will never get list. My husband replaced his iPhone screen his self by looking at videos. It saved him a lot of money.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The issue probably is, there is sooo much DIY yourself info on the net that cramming it all in the forum wouldn't be that helpful. You'd have to use the search function to get what you're looking for. So maybe it would be much better for someone who wants to repair something themselves to post a thread in the home and garden section and get the info they get. It's much better that way I believe but that's just the opinion of one guy.

14. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    As a young man I always liked to do models and projects. I fixed a leaking bathroom faucet by replacing the washer about a month ago and I recently tried to do the same on my kitchen faucet, but it was much more complicated and the video I was watching was not all that clear. But I tried and I didn't do any harm, I just tried and failed. I called the plumber and watched how he did it, he obviously was not in the mood to share his trade secrets but I understood how to do it if it happens again. Next thing I want to do is make the pipe going into my shower head wider but that is a BIG project. You have to rip the walls so I won't be messing around with that.

15. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    A couple of months ago I came across many do-it-yourself videos on Youtube. I was so excited to try them all. There were so many things that I had never thought to try to make on my own, like baby wipes, fabric softener, window cleaner, washing soap, liquid body wash ect. I was super excited about the projects but my husband was not. He figures that if its made at home them it wont be as effect as store bought.

For me personally, videos are the best way for me to learn, that's why I would rather watch it on Youtube. I hate reading instructions on anything so If there were a do-it-yourself section here it wouldn't appeal to me as much. But I could see what others are doing, maybe to get a few ideas then I would watch a Youtube video on the subject.

As a side note, I convinced my husband to cut the grass himself, with my help, instead of paying someone else to do it. Yeah, its hard work but we save money and get to spend time doing something together.

16. William Mike

William MikeNew Member

Threads:
    I think a DIY section will be great...

17. William Mike

William MikeNew Member

Threads:
    that's really cool idea, like you said it will allow both of you, spend time with each other, but don't forget we cannot do all the things personnaly, we need sometimes expert on that....

18. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to wait until the snow is gone and it gets warmer but my DIY project will be to repair the stucco on one side on my house rather than pay some one to do it. My problem is figuring out how much material to buy.

19. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I absolutely agree. I see that you and others here have posted two pages on this suggestion and the Administrator has not replied so, lets start it here. I'll go first, perhaps others will follow.

Fix your crumbling concrete driveway, steps, etc.
    Removing and replacing concrete is very expensive and time consuming. If the crumbling concrete is only on the surface or an inch or so deep, you can repair it yourself using a product labeled Top-N-Bond cement. It sets very quickly (5 minutes) so make small batches and work quickly. The only tools needed are a small trowel, a garden hose with sprayer, and kneepads.
    First do cleanup of the crumbling concrete using a garden hose sprayer to dislodge and wash away the crumbling concrete. Poke around a bit with an old screwdriver, you may find a few pieces of crumble that you have to pry loose, then hose it off.
    Second mlx Top-N-Bond in a small bucket and apply to a small area with a trowel on still damp (no standing water!) concrete. Press into the hole then quickly smooth to match existing surface. Repeat process as required.
    Tips:
    For even better adhesion, use a paintbrush to apply a coat of Weldbond Space Age Adhesive. It's a high-grade white glue that dries clear.
    A few days later, when everything is dry, apply two coats of concrete sealer.

Most surface damage to concrete is caused from salt that was applied in winter as a de-icer. Driveways and carport concrete gets damaged from road salt carried in on tires in winter. The concrete sealer will minimize damage from salt.

20. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm no stranger when it comes to DIY projects. In fact I have my own workshop at home that I use for my carpentry. So far, I've made tables and chairs to sell to my neighbors. I do DIY projects in conjunction as a hobby. It's really fulfilling and a money-saver too.