Do they work?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by addicted_buyer • Mar 29, 2012.

1. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    You know I have always wanted to buy something from TV, but the price usually too expensive for the product. The informercials are hilarious! I remember I used to watch the juicer and food vaccum commercials late at night when I was younger. They are so bad their good. Its like a bad trainwreck that I can't ever look away from and the prices?! Three easy payments of 29.99 for something you can buy at Walmart? Ridiculous.

2. obadiah

obadiahNew Member

Threads:
    I have never bought any one of those 'as seen on tv' items but I am considering one now. It is Bark Off, the ultrasonic training aid, has anyone here bought that and if so does it work? My neighbor has a lovely dog but he barks a lot when he is outside and she doesn't seem to be able to stop him. He even barks at 5 am when he first goes outside in the morning! I thought if the 'Bark Off' works, I would buy one and keep in on a tree close to where he is tied out. Please let me know if anyone has used this product.

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit, I have always wanted a bump it! I wouldn't use it in front, but near the back of my head to create some lift with a low ponytail. I am afraid it would be noticeable though?!

4. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    The bump it comes with three sizes, so you are able to use one that is shorter in length. So I don't think it would show. My daughter in law put one in her hair and I couldn't see it. She put it towards the top of her head and it did do what it was supposed to. I just don't have the patience to fool around with it. That is just me though, I think I am lazy when it comes to fooling around with my hair.

5. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I bought an "As seen on TV" disk cleaner/scratch remover product. I took one of my scratched disks, which would freeze occasionally at parts, but that's about it, it would be read just fine in my PS2. Anyways, after following the instructions exactly as printed on the box and then letting it dry for a while, I put it into my PS2's disk drive, and the disk wouldn't read. It had pretty much broken that disk for me...

I'm wary of "As seen on TV" items now.

Also, I hate when on TV they say stuff like "This can all be yours for only 5 payments of $19.99!"
    Why can't they just say the total price... )':

6. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    "Do they work?" From my experience you have about a 50% chance of the items you see on TV working are not. Most of the items will work but the question is, for how long? I will say this, which doesn't have a lot to do with your question, but if you want a job answering those type of calls, and you can work whenever you want, go to

and apply.

Back to whether or not the items work, if it sounds/looks too good to be true, it usually is, too good to be true and you may want to steer clear of those items.

7. Jeremy Green

Jeremy GreenMember

Threads:
    Insanity has been the best product that I have seen recently on television. The results do actually work for those who put the work in.

8. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Like many people have said it depends on the items. For example, I bought some of those fancy knife sets you see advertised all the time. These knives were supposed to stay sharp for a long period of time, but within the first couple of uses they were rather dull.

9. BooJeanIsIt

BooJeanIsItNew Member

Threads:
    I bought a few, my friend buys them all the time! The one he bought for me to slim my neck fat didn't seem to work! But a diet did the trick!

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on their products not working as they claim. I'd rather go to a store and purchase one and if I have to take it back due to it falling apart or breaking, I don't have to stand in a line at the post office and all that. I know when I can go to a customer service window and there is not that many people there so I can hand it to them and get my money back less s/h. I won't have to pay that to send it back to wherever it came from.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have only ever bought one thing that I saw in an infomercial, the magic jack. It actually did work exactly the way it was advertised. Then again, it was one of the few infomercials I've seen that didn't immediately put me off with how fake/silly/trite/unnecessary the product was.

12. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I've never bought anything advertised on TV. Though my folks have bought the Magic Bullet from Costco for some reason. We've probably used it about twice and never again afterwards. I've also tried the ShamWow when I volunteered to do a car wash with my school tennis team, and guess what? It was a sham! Wow!

13. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the item. I have bought some As Seen On TV items that work great and others did not. I do not order them through the infommercial though, I usually buy them at retail stores.

14. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Well they do work sometimes.

But remember, when stuff is shown on T.V., the purpose is to make the product look as good as possible. So even the crappiest product will look great on television.

But it's not worth buying off T.V. because all those products end up in department stores a few months later at lower prices anyway.

15. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I think a lot of it depends on the actual item itself. Although I don't own it, that brownie pan/separator does actually work. I've used it in the past as family members own it. I know from first hand experience that the Smooth Away does not work, or at least it didn't work for me. So, it depends on the item, who makes it, etc. Each item will be different in if they actually work or not.

16. Jeremy Green

Jeremy GreenMember

Threads:
    I am always hesitant to buy things that I have seen on TV. More often times than not they are a gimmick and they simply do not work.

17. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I take calls for a lot of the infomercial stuff. I have several infomercial stuff . A couple was given to me and some I had bought in the store. I know that's being a hypocrite since I take calls for them. I have the Flavorwave oven that was loaned or given to me which I love and use almost everyday. Only downfall to the Flavorwave is it don't bake brownies to well so i haven't tried a cake in it since brownies don't bake to well in it. I have the magic Bullet which I only used to make milkshakes and malts. I hadn't used it very much but some reason I can't get it to work no longer. My H\2O mop I absolutely love. I have the version that can be broken down into a hand held steamer. Years ago I had gotten this pancake pan that you was supposed to be able to cook without oil and be able to flip the pan over to cook pancakes and eggs with ease. That pan stunk it didn't work and made a big mess all over the stove plus the pancakes and eggs stuck to the pan.

18. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought an instrument, device or beauty products that I've seen on TV but I would really love to try them out. Just try them and hope for a money-back guarantee in case they would not work? Is that allowed? lol

19. RuthieB

RuthieBNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely adore As-Seen-On-TV gadgets! Although, like a lot of you -- I buy most of them on discount from the local stores instead of buying through the TV phone numbers.

My favorite, and really does work, is the eggshell cracker. It's pretty easy to use and works perfectly every time I've used it. I was totally fascinated with that thing when I first saw it on TV, because I'm just a klutz when cracking eggs and usually have to get a few shell pieces out of the bowl every time I crack eggs. So I was totally awed when we tried it and it really, really worked! It's a little awkward to wash, but other than that -- totally worth it for a klutz egg cracker like me!

20. Jeremy Green

Jeremy GreenMember

Threads:
    One of the best products that has been advertized on tv was the shamwow. This product picked up everything that I spilt and in rapid fashion.