Do We need landlines in this day and age?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Carlalexander • Sep 27, 2013.

1. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    With the advent of mobile phones, do you guys think that it is necessary to own a landline? I mean they are prone to frequent outages whenever there is a storm or a tree happens to fall on the telephone post or even a drunk driver decides that he ain't leaving no telephone poles standing, lol. Anyhow, do we really need landlines? Are mobile phones sufficient or do we still need the old technology that is landlines? Thank you.

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    It's an old technology that still does a very good job. Personally, I have never really suffered from many outages on the landline phone.

There are plenty of people that cannot afford / do not own mobile phones and the landline is just a standard option.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to have a landline because I have DSL internet and my desktop computer doesn't have a wireless card. If I had a laptop, I probably wouldn't have a landline phone at all.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not necessary, but until they make all other options completely accessible to all, they aren't going anywhere. I haven't used a landline in a couple years now and the only problem I had with it was needing it when it went out for whatever reason. Otherwise, I'm missing the days of people not being able to constantly connect with me no matter where I am. I tend to leave my phone home a lot because of it. They both still have their places today and especially with the younger generations. There's people alive today who have never actually seen a landline phone lol. Time flies

5. pxyc

pxycNew Member

Threads:
    Landlines are useful for older people and also kids who want to talk to friends on the phone (I know I was like that) but aren't responsible enough for a cell phone.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a landline in over 8 years and never thought I'd go back. But now my children are in elementary school, and I've considered adding one. So far, we've only ever had adult babysitters who come with their own phones. And I feel pretty sure that even most high school babysitters would also come with a phone. But the thing that concerns me is the time when I can finally leave my own children home alone. Do I need to get a 3rd cell phone for that? My husband and I don't plan to give our children their own phones until they can drive, and even then, it will be a phone for the car. I have a feeling we'll add a landline soon, just because it is a cheap backup for emergencies at the house.

7. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I don't think a landline is necessary, I wouldn't even have one if it didn't come for free with my internet+tv package. If I had to pay to have, I wouldn't and I only make 5 to 10 calls per month and it is free, so that is what I need it.

8. polybus

polybusNew Member

Threads:
    My wife and I got rid of our landline last year and we have no regrets. We both have cellphones now and the landline was an extra unnecessary expense that we had to pay every month. Before we actually got rid of it I thought it would be more difficult than it actually was. We don't miss it at all and I don't think we would ever go back.

9. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    If you're doing customer service work at home, which I plan to do soon, then a land line is essential. Also I have found out that DSL connection is a faster internet connection than wireless, and I would have to get that soon too. I was once of the view that there was no need for landlines, but I have found out that in certain instances they are necessary.

10. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    A landline is better for reception in most cases. I don't see all the "outages" with a land line you mention. I think Cell phones seem to have "drops" and poor reception so much more often. The jury is still out about the health effects of cell phones and radiation, now that people seem to live on them.

I know there were a lot of health studies, but then when the smart phones got popular, everyone seemed to stop talking about it. Land lines are not that expensive and can be bundled with internet or cable, they are good for facsimile machines and no one ever got distracted driving on a land line!

11. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I need a landline for my home business. I do not want to give out my cell phone number to many people. I give my landline number to associates, clients, businesses, and doctors. I only give out my cell number to close friends and families.

12. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I think it all depends on your personal and professional needs besides your favorite lifestyle. Recently certain individuals depend on landlines as a computer, fax machine modem or perhaps interactive credit card readers. Also landline provides ample safety considering that you can always use it in case of emergencies. However personally I don’t have a landline account nor do have I owned and landline before since am not much into office contracts hence mobile phones work well for me.

13. dswashin

dswashinNew Member

Threads:
    I personally only own a cell phone I do not have a landline phone because I do not see the purpose of me having one. I can be reached on my cell whether or not I am home and I do not have a job that requires a landline. Unless you have a job that requires you to have a landline because you work from home or your cell phone does not have a good service connection in your home I do not see the need for a landline.

14. sillver

sillverNew Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone!
    I think for the most part land lines, at least in the home setting have pretty much become a thing of the past.
    Most families have cell phones now. And when I say families, I mean each individual family member tends to have their own phone now. And of course the cell phone companies are more than happy to provide "family" plans so that indeed each family member can have their own phone.
    Why have a land line if you don't absolutely need it? To me, its just an added expense that can be done away with unless it is absolutely needed by someone like an elderly person who might be disabled and might not understand how to use even the most simple of cell phones.

15. glitter9

glitter9New Member

Threads:
    I like the comfort of a land line phone. yes a tree can fall on it, but that's in the rare case of a storm. I have never ever experienced a land line phone going out on me. On the other hand, I have had numerous times, of my cell phone battery dying on me. if you don't happen to have your charger, and you have an emergency, that cell phone won't be much use then.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have a landline. A few years ago I went without. I have a homebased business so I use a landline. I also think a landline is best for contacting 911 in an emergency. I also don't like giving out my cell number to everyone.

17. iShootRocks

iShootRocksNew Member

Threads:
    I think its pretty much pointless now because everyone has their cellphone with them. Even kids as young as 10 are getting cell phones now for whatever reason so land lines are really just becoming obsolete.

18. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cellphone but two of my kids don't. Unless we all had them, I'd keep the landline. There are times my son is home alone and he needs access to the phone.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I considered dropping my landline but I soon realised I need a landline for my internet connection. My internet comes in a package with the landline and I think most households have a similar arrangement. Unfortunately you can't access the internet at home without a landline. I agree though, it does seem outdated in the modern world.

20. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I am with you. I got rid of my landline a long time ago because I thought it was unnecessary to have it. Plus, I have save about $40 a month because I hardly used my landline when I still had it. I didn't feel any regret about getting rid of my landline.