Do We need landlines in this day and age?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Carlalexander • Sep 27, 2013.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't think that a landline is still necessary, but we still have one even if no one uses it anymore, and all of us have our own cellphones.

2. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    For emergencies I think a land line is necessary if you are on a limited cell phone plan. Land lines are less expensive then cell phone plans and there are times I know when I run out of minutes or want to save my minutes. If you go over it costs a lot of extra money per minute and can add up really fast.

3. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I was just talking to my cousin about this. She said that she still has a landline for when she needs to give a number to a bill collector or someone of that nature. I personally feel there is no need for a landline at least in my life because if they don't have my cell # then more than likely they have my email or my website.

4. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I am a firm believer on a land-line. I still use it for personal and work. I do not like holding the handset, so I purchased a headset for it. This makes me free to talk and continue using the computer or anything else.

I also have a cell phone. It goes with me wherever I go. It is not old faithful. Signal goes, charger breaks, screen breaks. All kind of things have happened that I have had to rely on my land line.

When California was at risk of a Tsunami, residents were advise to leave their homes via REVERSE 911. All residents that had a land-line, were called.

5. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I love it that you are specific on what your saying. The personal and professional needs of the person determines if they would use landlines.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, consider my lights went off five times in the last three days. I think that now then ever need a reliable phone source. A land line phone always works even when the lights go out. I am more then happy to pay extra a month for it.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I often find a land-line phone number is required for certain applications, I know sometimes you can just substitute this for a mobile, but sometimes it seems both are required. It's also good for a backup as the land-line is powered by the telecom network itself.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, a landline is still required by many companies whether you apply for a job or try to subscribe/buy a product or service.

However there are mobile landlines, I have 3 of these which are regular numbers like traditional landlines, but that I can carry on my mobile phone because they are associated to a SIM like those of a regular cell phone which, by the way, I have only one cell line, one real physical landline, and those three mobile landlines I said before.

9. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    Landlines are definitely not needed in this time of age. Almost everyone has mobile phones, and mobile phone plans are even cheaper than home phone plans. I pay less for me cell phone than I do for my home. I am also considering cancelling my home phone, as we do no longer use it regularly. I cannot live with my cell phone, on there other hand. I use my cell phone for almost everything from emails, to picture messaging.

10. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We need to keep landlines as digital is unreliable in today's world. With all these natural disasters you will need some stable in case of emergency. I will keep paying a little extra for my landline each month.

11. XDetTigers420X

XDetTigers420XNew Member

Threads:
    Landlines are a thing of the past. I just can't believe how much people had to pay for landline service in the past seeming now how it's going obsolete. Cell phones and plans are so cheap now it's not even funny. I think landlines will officially be gone once the "baby boomer" generation has all passed away. The only place you'll see them is in businesses.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I, personally, like land line phones. I'm sure that whatever else I write after that statement can only reflect that they are unnecessary unless I work on an apocalyptic argument where the cellular network implodes and satellites fall from the sky. I just like them for nostalgic reasons. If I happen to catch a rotary dial phone connected to a land line it puts a smile on my face. Then comes the concern that if this elderly lady falls and cannot get up it'll take a while to dial 9-1-1. ESPECIALLY the 9.

13. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I personally have no need for a landline because I use a cell phone and can always be reached on that. I haven't had a landline in years and it would be a waste of money for me to get one. My mom, dad, aunts, and uncles have landlines and wouldn't have it any other way but they also have cell phones too. I truly think it's for older people now because they are the only ones that I know who have it.

14. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    We only have a land line because I need it for my at home job in which I answer phones for TV commercials. I do still like talking on my landline because it is cheaper and I mostly use my iPhone for texting and playing games. For the most part I don't think we need them and I think eventually they will fade with time and eventually go away.

15. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I'm young and have a landline. The cable company was running a promotion, and it was actually cheaper to get a bundled package that included cable, Internet and a landline that it would be for just cable and Internet. Now that I have it, I'm glad I do. My price is locked in for two years; if it turns out that the landline will cost a lot to keep after that period, I will probably cancel it. If I can keep it at around the same price, though, I'll keep it.

16. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Nobody is youn or older in digital era:) we all learn something new each day.
    If you are satisfied with the benefits includes by your contract, than it`s ok, although I doubt you will maintain your opinion during 24 months spent with the company. Customers simply want more:)

17. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm sure something will probably change between now and then. For now, though, I'm satisfied.

18. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I've been seriously considering getting a landline again because they're so dependable. I've had Boost for a while and in the past year my service has been worse since Sprint has been upgrading their towers. About once a month I completely lose my mobile phone service for a few hours or an entire day and Boost isn't all that accommodating when I call to ask for a credit! I have a backup cell that just has so many minutes on it each month, but I think that I'll definitely be looking into adding a landline to my bundle within the next few months and that way I'll have dependable phone service at home.

19. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    I think that landlines are pretty useful even if you do have a mobile phone because they tend to come bundled with internet in an affordable plan while also being really dependable. During times when you're out of credit, or you have no signal, a landline will always work no matter what, so it makes a very good backup even if you mainly use a mobile phone.

20. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    We still need them to perform business if you do not want people to keep on calling your cell phone. And also for home phone services. But these days the land-line phones are wireless so I think they have also evolved with technology.