Do we save with premium gas?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Peninha • Jan 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Premium gas is a product available on the market, but I think that most people like myself don't exactly know what is for! I don't know if this is a better gas that will make our car drive more miles or is it just a luxury to make us spend more money? What's your opinion?

2. DomDom

DomDomNew Member

Threads:
    This is a really good question and honestly I dont know anything about it! I just found an article on the web that says it doesnt preserve your motor or anythign, it just gives your motor higher horsepower!

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting that you say that DomDom because I've read just the opposite lol, they do well to your engine's health, but nothing in terms of performance. I think most people like us don't know for sure, we just know it's more expensive and we buy the cheaper one. ;)

4. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    The companies which produce and market premium gas come out with promises like, the car will give out more mileage and horsepower and also that it will take care of the engine better. But a lot of studies have pointed out that these claims are mostly spurious and without any scientific backing. So, I would recommend you guys to not fall for these kind of marketing ploys and stick to buying regular gas which is cheaper and does the job efficiently.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you paha, I've done some research and I think only a few cars actually need that premium fuel, something related with octanes that to be honest I don't fully understand. So I tend to believe that it's a just a great marketing move...

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    There's a pretty easy way to figure out if your car runs more efficiently on premium gas. Start keeping track of your miles per gallon.

Buy normal gas. Write down your MPG.
    Buy premium gas. Write down your MPG.

Many cars do actually run more efficiently on the expensive stuff. Others will see virtually no difference.

My dad actually wrote a letter to the Wall Street Journal a few months back proving that gas with added ethanol lowers MPG's to the point that it costs us more money than we "save" by buying it. The main problem here though is that there are very few gas stations left that offer ethanol free gas.

7. 29525500

29525500Member

Threads:
    Premium gas just has a higher octane rating. It does not in any way help your motor or run better and should only be used of you have a motor that is requires that octane rating to run. This has to do with compression and ignition timing. If you are interested in why this is the case the Wiki article on octane ratings should clear up any confusion.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've done that once claire and I've noticed no difference, except in my pocket for filling my tank as a test, the miles I made were not very different from the ones I did with regular gas... I notice a bigger difference when I drive slower. ;)

Thanks for the link 295, I will give it a look. :)

9. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    My uncle would always buy premium gas for his Cadillac. His reasoning for that decision was that his dealer recommended that he use it. I personally think gas prices are to high to spend an extra 10 cents a gallon. I only use regular, and i have never had any problems with my car. It is a waste of money to me. I will take my chances with regular unleaded.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I always buy premium fuels. I think that the mpg gain makes it about equal with regular, but the real cost savings come from not having to replace parts so often, and the fewer breakdowns that come with it. Especially on high end cars, parts can be a fortune so using premium diesel can prevent costly repairs in the long run, even if the fuel itself is slightly more expensive.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a matter of choice. I have no question that premium fuel does better to our car, but as I don't know much about cars I really don't know exactly what's going on except that I am paying more and I have no interest in that what-so-ever if I am making approximately the same miles.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't use premium unless the owners manual says it's either recommended or required. However, if you seek to save cash, then you should use regular in the instance that the manual says recommended. Also, the idea that premium keeps an engine cleaner held true in the past, but not nowadays as all gasoline contains detergent. Of course, having a clean engine will lead to better gas mileage and savings.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never experienced a car using other than unleaded gasoline. From what I know, the unleaded is for the good of the environment. Now, with the performance, I understand that premium gas gives your car more power. My brother had advised me about that because he was using premium gas for a long time already. But come to think of it, the premium gas is more expensive so maybe that added power is neutralized by the cost when talking of savings. Well, maybe I will stick it out with the unleaded.