Do You Access Internet From A Phone Or Laptop?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by remnant • May 13, 2016.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is no hard and fast rule to use any particular device for me. It depends on where I am and what type of work I am doing. If it is writing long articles etc I certainly use my laptop but if I am on the move or in my office mostly I use my phone unless I have something important. I use my laptop seldom on the move but do not rule out the possibility.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We have the same usability. When I am outside our home, I use my mobile phone in accessing the Internet. In my office, I use the desktop computer. In our meeting or conferences, I use my laptop. The mobile phone, the desktop PC and the laptop have their own usage or performance as their usability.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, mobile data is costly and annoying, as I am always turning it on and off so that I don't spend more than what I need. At the same time I have 2GB monthly just for the phone (computer is unlimited), and so far that has proven to be enough.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @

I save as much mobile data as possible because it gets added in next months cycle that I can use in emergency. You know it is all about how much money you can save by reducing useless browsing etc while away from home so I do that when I am on laptop which provides me unlimited usage on lower speed even after I exhaust my quota for the month.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah. When I first got the phone (beginning of January I believe), I forgot to turn off mobile data for half a day and it consumed almost 500MB, so it's crazy what we would spend if we have it on at all times. Sadly I don't accumulate data for the next month @Ray1@Ray1, let's hope those 2GB will do. How much monthly data do you have?

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I pay as I use so there is no fixed monthly data for me. I generally take a 2.5 GB pack which lasts almost a month. I have internet data pack of 15 GB a month but even it is exhausted in middle of the month I can still use for rest of the month it on lower speed without paying anything extra.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    So that's an interesting concept! Instead of paying extra for the data, they just cut down you speed? Really friend provider you have, as the current practice in my country is "hiding" our consumption (meaning that it's really hard to know how much we have spend) and if we pass that limit they just charge us a fortune according to what we spend.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use my phone when I am in the car or at places where it's not convenient to bring out my laptop. My mobile internet connection is by data and not WiFi I access my wireless connection when I'm at home only. Outdoors I use data subscription for my phone and if I need use my computer I'd connect to the phone via USB or tethering.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That's right I pay a fixed fee of INR 750 (Appx.$11) a month for 15 GB @2 mb/ps data to my internet provider. In most months it lasts me for the entire duration of the month but if I exhaust it before the end of month the reduce the speed to 1/4th. They call it "You are on Primary speed". We can check our usage of data whenever we like going into our our profile.

10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I use internet on laptop, mobile and on laptop through mobile. Well, my work is related to internet so I have to be online for whole time. So even if I am travelling I used to carry laptop with me and do connect internet on it with help of mobile. And yes internet on phone is quite common these days. So for me I am using both of them.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, you are on primary speed? Tell me, primary speed allows you to do your stuff or is it slow as a turtle? It all depends on that. $11 per month is fairly cheap, I really can't say how much I am paying because I have a bundled package that includes TV, net, mobile phones, hotspot and landline.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You said it, since I use it for internet purpose and do not have much to upload especially in form of videos so it makes no difference. I do not use a router so you can understand that I have nothing else but my laptop directly connected to my internet connection. I use my other connections like satellite connection for my TV, direct landline, data by mobile companies for phone or laptop in case I use it from different location so I have no problem with primary speed. Yes I use a bundled connection during my stay in Australia but not in India because we do not get the desired internet speed here for TV viewing.

13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's the thing, most of us don't need a big internet speed. Take my case for example, I have 100MB internet speed with the cable, but some bug was causing my computer to freeze when connected to the cable, so I tried the 10MB or so wireless available, and I don't notice a difference. Well, a slight difference uploading, but nothing too much. Only companies might need those sort of speeds I believe.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Due to my location in the countryside, I access the internet via a satellite. I suppose I could also get it on a cellphone but I prefer to use a desktop for viewing and also cause I want my internet on the same machine where I have a bunch of computer programs that I could not use on a cellphone.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting that you receive your signal from the satellite @Jason76@Jason76, how fast is it? Just last month I got a smartphone, and I bought it to work with it, meaning it was an investment. To make the phone pay for itself I need to have it connected to the internet, as most jobs require that I am online.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It's not as fast as the kind you get outside the countryside. Therefore, some things, like online gaming are out of reach. Nonetheless, it's good enough for average web surfing, though, I have to limit my video downloading, and graphic heavy website surfing. Nonetheless, between 2 and 7 AM, the downloading is similar to what you find in faster internet platforms.

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, so I am guessing you are up between 2 and 7AM? :D I think we just have to make the most to what we have, and I certainly know that living in the country has it's advantages, namely the quality of hair, water, food, interaction with other people (a lot lol!), so slower internet is just a small price to pay. :)

18. Tiile23

Tiile23New Member

Threads:
    I buy data and load it onto a modem for my home internet activities. The same goes for my mobile internet plan. I buy!! Provisions of wifi and cable internet is however, made at my potential workplace which I intend making very good use of.
    I think a Laptop consumes more internet data than a mobile phone. However, a phone to peels off lots of internet data but not compared to Laptops.

19. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Both, but mostly PC. Since I am limited monthly on my phone internet, I have only 1GB of traffic. But that is enough really, since I don't download stuff on my phone I just use it for surfing and stuff like that. I would probably use it more on phone if I had more GB or unlimited even, but that is not the case.

20. RogMeet

RogMeetNew Member

Threads:
    Depends on what I am using the internet for actually. If I am up for some queries to which I need answers to, I'll definitely use my phone. But when it comes to watching videos, downloading files, writing on the internet, playing games and social networking, I generally prefer to use laptop as it provides a better interface as compared to the phone I use.