Do You Bargain?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Decentlady • Nov 8, 2016.

1. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    In my region you can only bargain in an open market place. It bears no fruit if you bargain at a shop or supermarket since the price won't go down. You can't even bargain at a grocery store, all prices are fixed. However, every time I'm at an open market I make sure I don't buy an item at it's initial or mentioned price.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I try, and I would really like to think that I have gotten better at it over the years, but at the same time I know that there are places where I can get a lot better. I am trying though, and I am saving quite a bit.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly do my bulk shopping in the open markets which allows room for bargaining. If I don't bargain it would be risky on my part, I may be paying times two the actual price for a commodity. I am good at bargaining, it irritates me a lot if I get cheated knowing fully well getting money is not an easy ride.

4. Amber123

Amber123New Member

Threads:
    it΄s depend on where I am if i΄m shopping original products I just pay the asking price, but if it is a Chinese I bargain.

Voonik: India’s first personal shopping app

5. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Bargaining is a way of life in some countries. When I lived in Egypt it was expected. I would even bargain to get my groceries cheaper and at times they would reduce the price.

I think that when the price is reduced via bargaining, it shows just how much they are putting on the cost price for themselves. In the UK bargaining is not done so much. We tend to accept the price that is displayed on an item. If the displayed price is too much then we often just go and look elsewhere for a better deal.

6. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bargain often. Sometimes, if I'm talking to a builder or something similar, but never in stores.

I think the problem is in that the UK, the store staff don't have the authority to bargain, and in chain stores neither do the managers as the prices are all set centrally through a computer system. The likely responses to bargaining would be 'No', 'let me call a manager', or 'let me call security'. Resetting prices is much easier in small shops, and chain stores can be pretty certain they will sell the item later at full price anyway so there's no incentive for them to haggle.

7. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    You are right there @Jessika@Jessika, that is the way here in the UK. Although, at times I have known people to get money off for what they call 'shop soiled' items which were the ones on display.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    In the vast majority of the time, yes... After all it's always good to have some money left to do other things, right? Of course it doesn't always work, but it doesn't hurt to try.

If I were to write down all the discounts that I have already achieved (which are not few), it becomes clear how much it's worth to bargain for.

9. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    My mother does bargain a lot, sometimes we actually need to bargain they do have such highly expensive prices.

I have tried to buy