Do you believe it's worth it to save in premium and pay a higher deductible?

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by True2marie • May 21, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Deductibles are a two-edged sword. If you have a big one, you pay less for your health insurance. However, if you have to see a doctor, you end up paying more for service. So, which is better - high deductible or low deductible?

Because I struggle to save money, I always opt for the low deductible. I know that I have a better chance of getting the treatment I need that way. :rolleyes:

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right it is a hard to decide which is best and only you can decide. If the higher deductible will keep you from going to the doctor and getting the care you need by all means get a lower deductible and higher premium. A thought would be to set a little aside each month so that when you do need to go to the doctor you have the deductible money allready and still have the lower monthly premium.

It just like with your car insurance, if you need to fix your car and it will only cost a few bucks to meet the deductible you will do it quickly but if you have to pay out some big bucks for your part of the repair bill it may take a little longer to get that repair job done.

3. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends...

Personally, I think it depends on your health, age, and the risk you are willing to pay.

If you are in poor to moderate health, I strongly believe the higher premium /lower deductible option is best. This is especially true if you have health issues such as diabetes, etc. Even if you have a significant risk of cancer (lets say your mom, sisters, aunt and grandma have all had breast cancer) then I think it is worth it to pay the higher premium.

However, if you are young and in good health, this it is best to just pay the lowest premium possible. However, if feasible, try to have a good savings account when choosing that option.

Just my two cents :)

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I went with the higher deductible because frankly I'm not going to the doctor unless I absolutely have to no matter what the price. For me, paying a higher premium would mean living in a colder home in the winter or eating less fresh vegetables. Both those things would make me a significantly less healthy person in the long run, so I'd rather go with the cheapest legal plan and take care of myself myself. I never thought I would have anything more than catastrophic insurance anyway because I knew from HS age how expensive it is. I'm just glad I have something at all.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This isn't an easy question to answer. There are times when a person can't afford the high monthly premium, so what can they do. Other then take the higher deductable. But this can also not be a good thing if the person isn't in the best of health. I just think its terrible that health insurance companies sitll have the right to do these sort of things. I was hoping that the ACA would change all that, but all it has done so far is give health insurance companies a free pass to treat people the way they do with high monthly premiums and high deductables.

6. rickymuus

rickymuusNew Member

Threads:
    I also would opt for the low deductible. The problem with such scenarios is that tragedy may strike anytime and therefore it better to be prepared. A high deductible may prove costly especially when you need your insurance the most. Better be safe than sorry.