Do You Bet On Sweepstakes Or Lottery?

Discussion in Contests & Sweepstakes started by gracer • Jan 27, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Some people rely on their sweepstakes or lottery for their fortune while some just do it for fun. In my area, I think most of the regular patrons of Sweepstakes and lottery booths have deeper reasons in joining other than just for entertainment. I know of someone who regularly bets on his lottery numbers with the hope that he could win millions someday so he could have a better life.

I on the other hand hardly ever try my luck on those things but I do play the scratch cards for the fun part of it. If I get a small amount from it, then I'm all smiles but if I don't I don't take it as a big deal because at least I knew I had fun playing. There was one time my husband and I decided out of the blue to buy a couple of scratch cards from a booth and we luckily won around $70. We went home happier because we only spent around $3 on the cards and we gained $67. :)

How about you guys? Do you also do sweepstakes or lottery? What are your experiences on them?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy lotto tickets occasionally but it's not a habit for me. Actually I only buy when there is a big jackpot like more than 50 million. My intention is of course to win but when I lose, as I always do, I think that I have helped the charity since the proceeds of the lotto sales all go to charitable institutions. And I only buy lotto tickets when I have spare money since gambling is not my system.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only kind of gambling I do is the lottery. I used to love buying the Euromillions because it can roll over to crazy amounts of money! The anticipation and excitement is hard to resist LOL I used to buy one or two lines every week, without fail. But sadly, I never won big. The most I ever won was about £110. In between I'd win small amounts ranging from £2-20, which I'd then put back on. Sadly, we don't have the lottery in Botswana, so I can't continue playing it :(

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Judging by the long queues that I see outside the lottery office every week - regularly playing the lottery would appear to be a bit more than an occasional habit here to.

Whereas for me - buying a lottery ticket is very definitely not something that I do regularly - in fact so much so - its almost a rarity - as its only when the roll over jackpot is up in the 1 or 2 million bracket - that we will buy a ticket and sometimes even two.

Unfortunately however - even though we don't take it at all seriously - especially as the chances of winning are pretty remote to say the least - although we've never been out of pocket - as each time we've played we've always won a small amount that more than offset the cost of the ticket or tickets - we've never been lucky enough to win anything much larger than the equivalent of $100.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been wanting to buy a few scratch cars myself as well not mainly for the fortune but that's a big part of it too of course, but mostly also just because I like scratch cards in general. I find it very exciting and calming to scratch and anticipate if we have won anything. I'm thinking of buying some in the near future but at the same time I also don't want it to become a habit so I'm trying to make sure I'm up to the task before I purchase my first tickets.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    You're so right! :) There's just this certain feeling of excitement in anticipating if you've won something while scratching the card. It's an old fashion type of game because I've been seeing them since I was still a kid but I think it has withstood the test of time even after so many luck games have already come out through the years.

7. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

The problem I have with the lottery is how much money you have to spend in order to win even a small amount of money. The probability of winning “the big one” is just too low for me. On the other hand, I do enjoy playing the sweeps (even though I have been neglecting it lately). I can do it when I want and it’s free! I have won both big and little prizes.

8. Lushlala

Threads:
    That's another thing I used to really liking getting, scratch cards! Oh how, I miss that now LOL I must admit, the anticipation and excitement used to be part of the whole experience for me. I would buy 2-3 scratch card maybe once a week, quite a few times I did win quite a fair amount but of course, nothing life changing. i always won more on scratch cards than on the lottery.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, sometimes I do bt I am more likely to use scratchcards. You can play games online that don't cost any money like Instant Cash Sweepstakes. People can and do win on those kinds of games and it is cheaper than using actual cash to bet on the games. However, you should not deprive yourself of anything.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only ever bought a few but never made it regular and I know how much I like it just because I did a fair amount of it when I was younger when my family would bring home some from promos of products like sodas and snacks so it wasn't lottery technically. As an adult I've bought a few with friends and I enjoyed it just as much but I always try not to start because I know my mind and before I know it I will probably be buying it regularly even regardless of whether it's paying out or not so I'm not sure I'd want to start but it is tempting.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    I think the problem with the lottery and these scratch cards is that we all think we can win LOL If one person can win, I reckon I stand as much of a chance as them. We believe, you gotta be in it to win it. So I used to buy them religiously whenever there was a huge jackpot and was also a part of a syndicate at work. But I set a limit and made sure I never exceeded it. Of course, there's always the danger of getting addicted and slipping into a very slippery road to financial ruin. You have to be very disciplined, as tempting as it is.I used to see people taking out wads of bank notes, buying their tickets and I'd just think WOW!

12. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I don't normally buy lottery tickets, but we have a tradition to buy scratchcards for each member of the family on New Years's Eve. It's a fun thing to do, but we've never won more than 1$. I always hope to win something, bur I realise that chances are quite low. Personally, I don't know anyone who has ever won something big in this kind of lottery, but sometimes people get lucky. You never know! Maybe one day it will be you :)

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I normally buy lottery but I don't bother with the scratch cards. My thinking if I win the lottery it will be something meaningful. Winning at scratch card will only bring a minimal amount of money and sometimes by the time I would have won something from the scratch cards, I would have probably lost much more than what I would have collected.