Do You Buy Cheap, Non Certified Smartphone Chargers ?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mbuzma • Dec 20, 2017.

1. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    If you do you probably shouldn't. According to several articles online, wrong (non certified) chargers can literally make your phone explode, as while most of them use the standardized micro-USB design, the circuitry inside them is not the same. Not to mention that using them can void your warranty. That is why it's always worth it, to buy ones that are certified or supplied by your phone's manufacturers, even if they are more expensive. After all, chargers are not that easily damaged and are in any case cheaper than your smartphone.

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right. I would rather buy an expensive charge from a well known shop. Electronics should be of high quality and environmental friendly.

Many people make cheap ones because they are focused on making money. It would be nice if people don't encourage it. Exploding is a rare case but it has happened. Better safe than sorry :D

3. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I personally never had to replace a charger because I take care of my things. But if I had to buy a charger it would be a manufacturer replacement charger. Because like you said, there have been way too many stories where phones explode from improper charging. And believe it or not when the phone explodes it has the power of an M80 and it can blow off fingers or your ear.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the charger specifications. If you just follow the voltage specifications that's indicated on the charger then you won't have any problem about overheating or your phone exploding. I have been using USB wall chargers and universal battery chargers for many years now, and they posed no problem at all.

5. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    My smartphone charger was destroyed and I had no otherwise. I went to the local market near my home and bought three of the so called non certified chargers. They have been working so well for me and I really like their experience.

6. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @Soulwatcher@Soulwatcher It's awesome how you understood the dangers of buying chargers from unauthorized shops. The good thing about that is that one would be able to get a quality charger that can be able to last for long period of time.

For me, I've decided to always buy products from authorized shops and online stores to avoid cases of poor performance in the future. I always want to get better at that and see how I'm going to use that experience to make things work at the end with the products that I buy. That's the reason I will always go for the chargers that are sold at authorized stores no matter how much it is going to cost.

#6Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Soulwatcher@Soulwatcher I have actually tried this once or twice and the experience wasn't really a good one. The charger got burnt that particular day that I bought it. I'm glad it didn't have any damage on my smartphone.

Then, another day I went for desktop charger because my phone charging port was faulty, the experience I had with the desktop charger was horrible. It almost burnt down our house. It sparked and ignited a fire but thankfully I noticed it on time and quenched the fire. That was my last trail with such kind of chargers.

#7Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  8. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    A USB chord is cheaper than a charger. There are some cheap high quality USB chords in the market so I charge mine to my PC.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I never had to buy generic chargers or non-certified chargers because the charger that comes with my cellphone usually lasts longer than the cellphone. If it ever did get damaged, I'll simply use a USB chord and charge my cellphone through the PC. Original chargers aren't exactly cheap but I'd also not want to take risks with a cheap charger. Besides the risk of damaging the cellphone, these chargers typically don't last long and will likely need replacement in a few weeks or months.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me advise you on phone chargers. I had seen a news report on this. It's about the charger that burns. Investigators have confirmed that some phone chargers, particularly the generic and cheap ones in the underground market, can cause fire when the charging continues even when the phone is fully charged. Trust only certified brands, according to the news report advisory.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased some of those. I seem to have faced no issues to be honest. I am not sure what could be the problem they are going to cause in such cases. We just have to be really understanding if they can be hazardous. Not all the time they are going to have any much serious issue. But we can surely be considerate of things in that context to be honest.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't personally but my granddaughter lost her phone charger so I did get a cheap one from a local store. So far it's been very good, she's had it for around 9 months with no problems but I'm aware that they can cause fires and would never leave it plugged in overnight or if I went out. Having said that I wouldn't leave a certified charger plugged in either, it's just best to be cautious.