Do You Buy Expensive Toys For Kids?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by DrRipley • Jun 2, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend not to spend too much on the toys I get for my very young nephews and nieces, partly because they tire of them way too fast anyway and judging from my own experience, I never really cared much about how expensive my toys were when I was younger since I could keep myself amused even with just a rock. Part of my decision also stems from my own experience of being more concerned about the quality and value of my belongings as I grew older and I'd much rather just be able to spend more on the kids as they reach their adolescence rather than wasting all of my money on them now when their gifts are a lot more "disposable".

That said, I might just be basing this too much on my own personality, and I'm wondering if I should be viewing this part of childhood with much more priority, so I'm looking to hear from you guys on what your opinion is on buying more expensive toys for kids at ages below 10 or if it's better to start splurging when they are teenagers instead.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy expensive toys for kids, because they are expensive. I buy costly toys because of kid's safety. Cheap toys are often made of chemicals that may poison the children, the kids, the babies. If not, they could have detrimental health effects that will show up later in their lives. It could be on either on their cognitive or physical skills. I don't want to risk for health, so it's best to go for credible toys, no matter how much they cost.

3. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    No. Never. I think their a waste, especially when you buy them for 3 year old kids. I once bought this very nice Hot Wheels car for my nephew and it was really expensive, it was a Christmas gift but after 3 hours, the car was wrecked and pieces were strewn all over the place. It was a real bummer. If you're planning to buy toys for kids, go for the cheaper ones and once they get older and responsible then you can buy them expensive one.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids outgrow toys pretty fast. It's a lot better to save your money and buy them something cheap because at the end of the year they'll have got bored of the toy and in any case when they get new toys during the holidays or on a special occasion . . .

For me, when buying toys, cheap is always the way to go. If I have to buy the kid an expensive gift then I'll get them a book.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of other useful activities that can be done by young kids other than playing toys. While I don't limit how many toys my child has, I also do not want to spend too much on those things because they will be of no use one day. I don't have any memory of myself playing with toys when I was a kid and I was all fine.

My child is actually more interested into kid's book that we received as a gift from our best friend than those toys gifted by family members. I know the sight of that do disappoint them, but it wasn't as if we didn't try giving the toys to her. Reading is part of her activity everyday while developing and she has the right to show what she loves the most :D

6. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    No way! I have bought them expensive toys and within a week they aren't interested in them anymore. What a waste. I could've bought something we needed with that money. Now, I will go to cheaper places to get them or find them on sale. I like to buy them from thrift stores. They are super cheap and seem to keep their attention longer. When I am going through their stuff and getting rid of some stuff, it doesn't make me feel horrible for getting rid of that $1 toy I bought from Goodwill. Know what I mean?

7. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I agree with the original poster. You have a lot of good points, and they are in line with my thoughts and feelings as well. Toys, regardless of price, are easily disposable. Children don't look at the price when they see something they want, even those from the teenager group. If it looks cool, they'll want it whether it is 50 cents or 50 dollars. If I am buying a toy for a child, I keep the price low but the quality as high as I can. Some expensive toys are just expensive due to the brand and popular demand. I have found really sturdy and awesome toys for much less.

8. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not. Kids rarely ever appreciate expensive "toys" unless its stuff like Legos and that's for a later age in m opinion. Around 10-12 my folks would buy me more expensive "big" toys like X-wing or Tie Fighters that were about 9-10 inches wide and had lots of parts but I think kids nowadays just like video games instead of that stuff.