Do You Buy Secondhand Books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Ray1 • Mar 8, 2017.

1. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, there was a time when we used to buy second hand books – whether it was story books/ novels or course books. We had this place, which used to sell all kinds of second hand books. There were a big number of shops selling second hand books. We used to visit the place on Sundays and buy whatever we needed. They were very cheap and we could also bargain.

2. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Second hand books could be a great money saver. I once in a while visit second hand book stores, when I find an interesting book in a good condition and fair price, I will always buy it. If you buy lots of book, I recommend you to look into second hand book store. Some people read books but they don't collect books. If you are a book collector, you can build your own library by buying second hand books and spending less on books

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy second hand gadgets. As most of the gadgets have some shelf life. And buying them second hand only reduces the chances to using them properly. I have found that in case of the second hand gadgets, it can be really bad for the maintenance. And also after sales service for them is troublesome.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I buy second-hand books from a market place which is famous for second-hand books in my place while doing my engineering for some subjects other than my core which I will use only once. They are much cheaper and also the quality will be good and worthy for the money spent.

5. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Quite frequently. I often visit my local charity shops and see what they have to offer on their shelves. It makes the books affordable for me, and the money goes to a good cause.

6. Merissa

MerissaNew Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Where I live, past students sell their books for other students when they are done using it, they sell it much cheaper than the the books sold at the books store. This normally happens the most during the summer time, when parents are out buying their child's school necessities. This is a great way for older students to make some money and parents to get great deals when buying the school books, since the higher you go in your education the more expensive the books are. I have bought second hand school books and have sold school books for others as well.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have bought secondhand books. I have bought books from yard sales, thrift stores, and online. I love books but I don't love their prices so buying secondhand only makes sense. A lot of times, the books look very near to new and have only been read once so why not buy them used versus new. I always look in the book section when I go to the thrift store or look for them at yard sales where you can find them cheap. I am sure the libraries do this around me but I just don't know when they do it.

8. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really bought the books that I have since I just usually receive them from friends. I do see a lot of books on sale which are both used or brand new. I really do not buy books on sale since I do not find the books that I like on sale.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy second hand books a few years ago because they are way more cheaper compared to brand new books. We have bookstores here that sell used books and I always look for something that will catch my interest, usually financial books and other self-help books. The only problem is that it's a bit hard to find those kind of the books, most of the ones they are selling are brand new ones.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Here we have a lot of places from where we can buy second-hand books. And to answer your question, yes I do buy second-hand books, and usually, I look for some older books that I wanted to read when I was a child but my parents didn't let me because I was too small!

11. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes! I have bought second hand books loads of times. This is a great way to save money as books can be an expensive item especially if you are building up a home library. In fact, I can count the number of books I got brand new. With the exception of some study books and probably my bible, every book I own I bought second hand.

One of my favorite past-times is to browse through book sales at a flea market or home moving auction sales. You can be very luck and pick up rare books for almost nothing.

12. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do and will continue to do so as long as they don't offer second-hand knowledge. Second hand books have pretty much the same value as that of a new book, at a much cheaper price. If kept covered and neat, it's still remains new to the eye of the beholder. Even though some new books, threaten with the word new edition, things do not change much. In most cases it's addition of pictures and better segmentation of topics, but the content is identical.

Like e-books, buying of second hand books, discourages printing of new books hence saving trees, that the former Nobel Peace Prize winner, the late Professor Wangari Mathai really worked hard to protect.

The only only problem I have with some second hand books, is the lack of all pages. Sometime back, while I was in school, if the teacher made a mistake of bringing a random assessment test, some unprepared students would tear a page right of the text book for reference. That's not the problem. The problem occurs when the very people, sell those books to unsuspecting readers. I am actually a victim.

All in all I love them, buy them and believe they are totally worth it especially during this tough economic times.

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't use second hand books in school but now that I'm on my own, I buy most of my books from used books sellers like Books for Less or BookSale. While I love to read, I don't want to buy books for the sake of acquiring books. I only buy and keep books that I want to read and use as reference. With so many free e-books on the internet, not to mention web articles, I don't have to buy too many books to satisfy my reading habit. The only brand new books that I've purchased in the past two years were IT books.

14. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I do, and I have also sold my old books. Buying secondhand books is kind of a must when you're in college. Science books like Chemistry or Physics and lab manuals can be very expensive. And sometimes you barely use them. So you're better off getting them secondhand. Most of them are in great condition too, you don't really lose anything.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    All of the books I have nowadays are in digital form. I don't buy printed books anymore because they end up as clutter and I only read books on to 3 times. I also find ebooks cheaper and audio books are awesome too.

16. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. Many times in the past and I also buy second hand books even now if the book is in a good condition. While in school and colleges, we used to get second hand books either from our cousins or friends who had moved on to higher classes. Now I buy novels and comic books. It saves a lot of money and sometimes you actually find a treasure amongst them, some rare books which are no longer printed or sold anywhere.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I love second hand everything! I love to go to second hand stores and browse the books and they are so cheap to buy in paperback. There is something about the smell of them that takes me back to my childhood, being warm and safe, reading in bed when I lived at home with my parents. Old books make me feel very nostalgic.

18. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Always. It is actually a good thing that some people sell their used books. People like me who is a bit frugal can now afford good books. Especially if the author is well known and the book is well sought for, It is near impossible for me to have those if I buy them brand new.

19. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I have bought many second hand books to quench my knowledge thirst.Reading good books can change us into a peaceful man.Nowadays there are many opportunities to buy second hand books from many resources.We can also buy good second hand books online.There are many book lovers all over the world who buy and sell good books online.

20. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Never. I won't purchase a physical copy of a book unless I truly love it. When I do, it's always a new, hardbound edition. The only time this isn't true is with books that are long out of print which I feel need to be in my personal library. Obviously, then I will submit to a second-hand purchase so long as the item is in good physical condition. People do deplorable things to spines and I won't have creased ends on my shelves!