Do You Dress At Home To Save On Energy Costs?

Discussion in Utilities started by Diane Lane • Sep 11, 2015.

1. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I feel like it would be silly to wear a tank top and flip flops and then complain about being cold. My step father used to keep the temperature the same no matter what so that the air conditioner or the heater would come on automatically depending on the house temperature. If you were still cold or hot, then you needed to get under some covers or something to fix your situation. I don't do that now that I'm an adult, but if I can add some layers or strip some things off, I definitely do.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's for sure a significant savings. I love flannel. I have two flannel sheet blankets on the bed right now. I prefer that to one heavier blanket, this way I can push one down if I get too warm, but still have some covering. It's a beautiful Fall day here, and I've actually got the windows open, which I love. I'm excited that the AC won't have to be on for a while. Initially, I get allergy symptoms from having the windows open, but then I get used to it, and I really appreciate saving money.

3. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    Being a penny pincher is something I pat myself on the back for. There is no way that I am adjusting the thermostat before going to change. If it is too hot, change, drink something cool, and sit still. Too hot? Grab hot cocoa and a blanket.

Messing with your thermostat hikes up the electric no matter what the season. If its cool enough- the AC is off and the windows are open. Nothing like fresh air.

4. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I was also having a lengthy discussion with my friends actually who like to wear shorts and shirts during winter while maxing out the heater. He said that it is not comfortable to dress at home and the warmth from clothes is different from the warmth from heater. I agreed to disagree because I know that he does not have the economic constraint that I have. Personally, I wear long pants and sweaters at home and keep the temperature low but comfortable. My thick blanket can also be used for another extra layer of warmth either when I am watching TV or using my computer.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a very good point. I never understood people who crank up the heat so they could run around with barely anything on. It's much more cost effective to throw on a sweater or a robe and slippers. I hate throwing money out the window. I can find better things to spend the money on that power or gas or fuel.

Frankly, I'm more comfortable when I dress appropriately anyway. I don't like it to be super hot in the house. It feels stuffy, and I feel like I can breathe better when the air is a bit cooler (but not cold). This is especially true at night when trying to sleep. I also love the feeling of a thick, soft, cozy, down comforter (which would be far too warm if the heat were cranked up).

6. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    My thing is this, when it is cold I want to be cozy. If it is not summer time I highly doubt I'm going to be lounging around in shorts unless its with a huge sweater and really comfy socks. Another option would be shorts after an in home work out where as in that case I would want it to be cool rather than hotter. People nowadays are just spoiled.

7. Diane Lane

Threads:
    The weather has been crazy here lately. I've had the central heat on and off, the space heater on, the A/C on, and the A/C on in the car, as well. Right now, a cold front just came through, but I'm leaving the thermostat set on A/C so I don't use the heat. In addition to dressing for the actual temperature, when I feel cold, I try to get up and move around. The physical activity gets my blood pumping, and naturally warms me up.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When talking or saving electricity as regards the weather requirements, we always have a way for that and the clothes we wear are not much of a factor. During the summer, all windows are left open for more ventilation and electric fans are placed in strategic locations (near the windows). In cold days, we just close the windows including the sliding glass door to block the cold air since we have no heater at home. Of course, we wear sweaters or jackets during the cold period.

9. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i do, i wear clothes according to the temperature. It not just help me to save money but also keeps me cool. Like if i am wearing light dress in summer will help to feel less temperature even while i am in my home. As this is a fact so much use of modern machines defect the ozone layer badly.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I usually dress at home based on the weather fluctuations, and I have no air conditioner, fans or heater because I have horrors stories to say when using all these appliances and my parents' home.

They still pay exorbitant electricity bills all year round!

However I'm energy savvy, and a sun power enthusiast, so while there is not a solar alternative to heaters and fans, clothing makes the trick specially in winter season when an extra layer of sweaters may come handy.

11. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I used to and I find it very helpful, but now I have a new baby in the home so we keep our heat a lot warmer than we used to. It is crazy paying for the electric bill, but until my baby gets a little older I want her to be comfortable without bundling her up too much. My oldest daughter dresses pretty warm and knows to always wear socks and slippers in the winter time because our floor is freezing.

12. rezonate

rezonateNew Member

Threads:
    I love by the beach fortunately and most of the homes here don't have centralized air because it's nice and cool throughout the year with the exception of summer where it gets warm but even then the weather is pretty tolerable but when it gets a little warm or hot we just open the windows and when it gets too cold we close them and put on a layer of clothing to keep our body temperature regulated.

13. Diane Lane

Threads:
    This is a good point. Perhaps the reason some people do keep their homes more regulated with heat or air conditioning is for this reason. We all know how difficult habits are to break, especially when we're not consciously aware of them, so maybe it would be good to remind those we care about of this fact, so they can readjust how they manage the temperature in their homes once their circumstances have changed.

14. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don't typically dress up at home in order to save on energy costs. Nothing out of the ordinary, at least. I tend to dress warm if it's cold outside, but I don't walk around inside my house with a winter coat on or anything like that. I just tend to warm up with blankets.

15. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly wear the same clothes whenever I'm at home. I don't see any problem with it since I don't get sweaty and I'm not as active when I'm at home. The only time that I change the clothes I wear is when I do a hard chore such as cleaning the car, moving things, and cleaning the whole house. Other than that, I'm extremely comfortable wearing my shorts and my extremely light shirt at home.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Dressing appropriately to suit weather conditions is the sensible thing to do indoors or outdoors. This practice if executed properly indoors should enable some saving in energy costs. Less need for air conditioners in summer and less need for heat the winter.