Do You Ever Use A Clothesline?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • Sep 22, 2015.

1. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I am stuck in an apartment and cannot take advantage of a line to dry my clothes on.
    I have been discussing with my better half how nice it will be when we get a house and can line dry.
    BUT some of the information here makes it seem better then it might actually be?
    I guess most people use a dryer for a good reason, is it really that much of a pain to line dry?

I did the math in my area it's going to cost about .50 cents a load.

2. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    As I am staying in tropical country where almost everyday is hot, so most of us are still using clothesline to hang our clothes outside. I like it this way as the dried clothes always have a smell of the sunlight and I feel the clothes are cleaner with the help of the sun, though it might take much longer to dry the clothes during the rainy days. Dryers are not commonly used in my country.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Hanging clothes when you just handwashed them will really leave it stiff. It must be spinned by washing machine so that it will be all soft when you hang it in the clothesline. But the stiffness seems temporary though. When you wear it, it won't feel stiff anymore.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I feel bad for Danish people who want to save money from their electric bill. Dryers became mandatory there because they banned clothes lines.

I still use clothes line during sunny seasons. I only use dryers when it is snowingnor raining.

5. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I have hung my clothes outside to dry before, but lately I have been using the dryer. I remember though visiting my uncle, with my dad in San Diego when I was quite younger-and he had no dryer,just hang your wet clothes out and they would dry in a few hours. I know a lot of housing developments frown on hanging your clothes outside these days, because they say they are very unsightly and hurt the property values as well. It never rains in California,like the song goes, but what do you do, if you live where it rains more? You need a clothesline canopy(haha)!

6. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I see no problem whether you use clth lines, grass or plants to hang your clother on. The goal of hanging the clothes is yo make sure they really dry up. But it also depends with the weather on that day. If there is draught, then it is always a nice thing to hang them on cloth lines and then peg them.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is true by using a clotheline to dry up clothes would likely become stiff. We do still using clothesline to dry up our washed clothes, but my wife is wise enough to use fabric softener to soften our clothes when dried up. We don't use clothespins to hang our wet clothes instead they are placed in a hanger. Thus we could save more spaces to dry up our bulky washed clothes.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I don't right know but that is mostly just a household issue given where we are living, but I really would love to have one at the moment it becomes feasible. Great way to save some money and smells better in my opinion.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We always use clothesline as regular habit even if we wash our clothes in an automatic machine. I think keeping your clothes under the sun and fresh air makes a difference. we have several clotheslines including in backyard, balcony and backside barandah of our home.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don’t be surprised but we don’t have a clothes dryer and until now we are at the mercy of the sun that dries our clothes using the clothesline. The dryer is an expensive appliance and it consumes electricity. In fairness, the dryer is beneficial during the rainy season when the sun fails to show itself. But what we do when there are rains is to place the clothes hanger in the terrace and train an electric fan to help it dry. That will avoid the musty odor of the clothes.

11. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    We have a clothesline and we still use it as always. In my country, it's expensive to dry the clothes in a laundry shop so my mother always use the clothespin.

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Certain items are hand washed on a daily basis and they are dried on a clothes line. That which is washed using the washing machine also gets aired for some time.

13. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I actually do not have a dryer to dry the clothes i also use to put them on a clothesline and it is really not a difficult and weird thing for me actually.

14. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes i use clothline.