Do You Feed Your Pets With Leftovers?

Discussion in Pets started by Rossy • Sep 5, 2017.

1. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    I would like to know how different people think about feeding pets with leftovers. Some see it as an economical way of feeding pets but others don't think it's right at all. Please share your opinions.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Our pets usually eat the same foods that we do but they're not exactly leftovers because whenever we cook, we always take them into consideration. Our cats never grew up with pet foods and prefer to have real food. They love chicken and chicken bones/carcass so much that they'll often fight for their share of the bones. It would actually be cheaper and simpler to buy them pet foods/pellets at the grocery as there are wholesalers nearby, but they're not too excited about them. I don't give them the same fare week in and out and strive to give them variety. Sometimes, I'd buy soup pack in the supermarket and they would munch on the meat. Our dog prefers rice with stew as well as chicken and pork meat. I don't serve her chicken bones, though.

I don't see anything wrong when people feed their pets leftover foods to save money as long as the pets are eating the food and it's not harmful to their health.

3. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah we do. Feeding pets leftovers is better than letting them roam around the streets looking for food. It is okay to feed them leftovers than throwing leftovers away.

And yes, it is economical. From where I have been, buying food for pets is unheard of and people often resort to feeding them leftovers. It is also healthy since we never see it as leftovers but just extra food for pets.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Feeding leftover to pets is common to 3rd world countries. It may sound economical in your part but it won't give your pet the nutritional needs they need that they can give from catfood or dog food.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't feed my dog leftovers as her regular meals but I will throw her a tidbit once in a while. If it is something that will go to waste then I will usually give it to her. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is food that they are supposed to have. I know that there are some foods that dogs shouldn't eat so we steer clear of feeding her those foods. I still buy her dog food though and that probably won't change.

6. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    We always feed our pest left overs on a daily basis but with an added fish or meat that was intended for them to consume. Some might not agree with this method. I would never feed my pets those commercialized animal foods, it has high preservative content and unknown ingredients that we might have already thrown away but were still mixed because it is for animal consumption.

Left over food are better because I am sure it is safe. I know because I ate them and I am just handing out scraps to my pet.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    We usually don't feed leftovers but only sometimes. Often when my mother cooks she takes our dog and cats into consideration and cooks for them too. I agree that feeding the leftovers to your pets is economical as well as they don't get hungry often. Even if we feed the leftovers it will be those that cooked at that time and not that become some days. My neighbors used to feed their dog with the leftovers that have been left for 2 days which is not healthy for him. So I advised them not to feed him that. I don't know if they have stopped feeding him.

8. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Certainly not!

Much of the food we eat isn't even good for us, but our animal friends have very different nutritional needs. These needs typically go entirely unfulfilled when fed a diet of human food. Their food has to be enriched with specific nutrients to keep them healthy, in amounts that would make us sick if we ate them. When you add to this the fact that many foods we eat perfectly fine are actually toxic to dogs and cats you get a scenario that borders on immoral. Having a pet is a financial burden and this must be considered before you get one.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is something that I got used to quite a bit when we had a dog growing up, but since then it has been cats, and they do not really crave everything that you eat like a dog does. The cat now likes totilla chips, but that is about it.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Although it's economically an interesting solution for the pocket, the pet's health has to come first, so... No, I don't use leftovers to feed them.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I had pets, cats, I always gave them our leftovers which they devoured eagerly. Watching the commercials for pet food leftovers are what their expensive pet food is made of, so I feel good about feeding them leftovers. My cat loved chicken on bone. The little fur baby ate the bone too, crunch crunch... she loved chicken. This way no waste and you save money with no wasting food.

12. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    From my point of view, I actually see nothing wrong with feeding ones pet with leftover meals. For those that are saying it's not right, what should be done to leftover food? Should it be thrown away and is that a wise decision? I practically think not, leftovers are still food, that it's called leftover meal doesn't mean that something is wrong with it.

So I advocate that leftover meals should be put to some good use of feeding the pet. So long as the food is still in a good condition, it would definitely do a fantastic job in ensuring that the pet doesn't get hungry.

Also, using these leftover meals to feed ones pet is a good strategy in saving some money. Pet food nowadays can be quite costly but if one would pick up the strategy of using his or her leftover food in feeding his or her, it would definitely cut some serious expenditures for such person. It's really a nice idea to the ones open to it by using their food leftovers to feed their pet.

13. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Our pets are given their own food, cooked separately. They have their own containers and are served at fixed times. They never beg. They also get their supplements. At the moment our pet - the only one we have now is give a supplement called furglow that will help her have good fur.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our culture, dogs and cats here are fed leftovers. But since we treat our 3 dogs as family, they have their own food. Today for lunch, they had boiled chicken wings. Yesterday their food was deboned fried fish. Yeah, we buy our dogs fresh food from the market and we cook it for them. It is healthier than canned dog food and cheaper too. The only downside is that you have to cook it yourself.

15. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    It is out of a question. Animals can't process human food because of the spices, excess cholesterol and salt. Literary, if you feed them your leftovers you will end up with the sick animals. The cats get sick on kidneys and usually die long before their natural age of departure.
    The owners who are not capable of taking care of their pets without poisoning them should not have any pets at all.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    From my experience, cat food did more harm than good with regards to my pet cat, since it has caused blockage in his urethra. My vet also told me that dry cat food is quite salty, and cats drink little water, so it would be best not to feed him dry cat food. I followed her advice and I just fed my cat human food, and he went on to live for 12 yrs.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I only feed then leftovers that I think are healthy for them and then only as a topping for their normal dog food. I don't want them getting overweight. I give them vegetables both raw and cooked and sometimes they have a little chicken but I wouldn't give them just anything as their digestive system is different to ours.

18. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    When we we're young, our family used to have a native pet dog named "bantay" (guardian/guard) and we fed it with several meals. Sometimes we fed our pet dog with leftovers usually chicken bones and meat bones and he just love it. At times we prepare meals for him and the dog eat at the same time with us.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think once in awhile along with the pets normal diet is ok but not as a whole diet. A lot of vets do recommend suitable table scraps and say that table scaps can be a harmless addition to your dogs diet-but you have to be selective what you give your dog or cat. I would not feed the dog at the table though,but put the scraps directly in his dish. I would go easy and give them a small amount of what you had-and this is what I do.

20. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    I do feed my cat the meals I prepae for myself.Leftovers is such an ugly word though.I don't think that you should feed a pet left over foods because that would imply that the only reason you are feeding him/her is because you got satisfied with the food before you finished eating.