Do You Give Away Outgrown Clothes?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by gracer • Mar 9, 2016.

1. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Ah yes, babies and toddlers do grow up very quickly. I haven't had children yet, but one of my mom's friends has a two year old son and watching him grow up is mind blowing. He got so many clothes during the baby shower and it seems to me that he never wears the same outfit twice! His mother just donates his clothing, but she has kept some of the cuter outfits since he is her first son so perhaps she and her husband will have another one in the near future. I think it's a good idea to buy bigger sizes so that the child will wear them for more time, I will probably do that when I have a kid.

2. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have children, but I have 11 Godchildren and two nieces, and had custody of two of the Godchildren for quite some time. The nice clothes that they have outgrown I got rid of through eBay or garage sales, but anything else I donated. There was too much money to be made from some of the high-end brands that resell well and we needed the money, but I'm all about paying it forward, so about 75% got donated. I especially gave a lot to the battered women's shelter in our area because sometimes those families leave in the middle of the night and can take very little, so the kids are always in need of clothing, especially when they are in a phase that they are outgrowing their things quickly.

3. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids myself but i do have a friend who gives away her kids outgrown clothes. She has a boy and a girl so there's no way the hand me downs is possible in this scenario and she's not planning on having another kid anytime soon, so she gives away their unused clothes to the street kids or donate some to a charity.

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    My son's baby clothes were hand-me-downs from my cousins' kids so I didn't have to spend anything since they got all the clothes covered. He's almost nine years old and still receives some of the clothes they've outgrown. The smaller clothes he's outgrown were given to my mom's officemates' kids or grandkids. I like that clothes circulate around to be used by other kids who need them more.

5. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    It totally depends on a quality at the moment. Some pieces of clothes look as if they were purchased a couple of days ago. Others are threadbare and look like crap. I don't think it's a good idea to give the latter away unless people you know are literally craving and begging you for it. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well my country's culture is characterized, among others, by close family ties and it's a common practice to give away outgrown clothes to relatives and younger siblings - sometimes to children of neighbors or close family friends. It's not just cost-efficient but this kind of practice, so long as there's no element of abuse, actually strengthens bonds among family, relatives, friends and neighbors.

7. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Yes, we do. I have a 1, 4, and 5 year old, all girls. I have a baby neice who is just a baby still and we pass our used clothes down to her. We keep our clothing very nice and throw out things that have ungodly stains so everything we pass down looks new, or probably is. No sense in throwing it out.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you a whole lot! :) It's so nice to know that clothes whether outgrown or unused circulate around and go to people who need them instead of just letting them pile up in the closet or throwing them. It's also a wonderful feeling knowing that you have shared something to other people. :)

9. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Yes, we give away outgrown clothes. I have three girls, ages 1, 4, and 5. I buy more when needed, and pass down things to my younger two, and when my youngest grows out of things, I have a niece who is an infant still (a month old) and we give them to her. It will be awhile until my niece fits them, but hey.. kids clothes gets expensive!

10. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you @ashley0323@ashley0323. Kids clothes can become quiet expensive nowadays. As a recipient of outgrown clothes before, I know the feeling of being so thankful that I don't have to buy more clothes in the near future. Giving away outgrown clothes not only benefits you by cleaning out your kids' closets but it also benefits the parents of children who receive them because you're helping them save on their kid's clothing. I think that when it comes to kids clothes, there's more of a cycle of giving that goes on. :)

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, my clothes were all automatically discarded by my mom. She likes to give away stuff that's not being used anymore, even the personal stuff of their kids, even without permission, so nothing really clutters our closet.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Well I like the idea of selling my outgrown clothes and just like what @GemmaRowlands@GemmaRowlands had mentioned, I as well do post some of my clothes that aren't in used at Facebook to sell them. But if no one buys it after a long span of time, then that would be the time that I'll just give it to my sisters or my niece if it fits them. But usually, if there's something in my wardrobe that they like and I don't wear it anymore, I normally give it to them and those that they don't want, I will sell :)

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like the idea of selling outgrown clothes. What I normally do I give my outgrown clothes out to younger siblings or relatives. If the clothes were that of a baby I will prefer they are kept for another baby or donated out. Instead of selling outgrown wears I will just leave them in the house, if there are no persons to give them to, someday someone may want them.

14. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I also have two boys but I spaced them so much that there isn't really a point of me keeping clothes for my first born when he outgrows them, because it will take 2 to 3 years before they can fit our youngest son. We usually keep all the clothes in a basket,then each year we give them out to a children's home.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have really benefited from getting clothes from other people throughout my life, whether it be from family or from places like GoodWill and donation stores, so I always try to make it a point to give back. I really do not have that much clothes, but I do give away the stuff that is no longer needed.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold or given away my daughters outgrown clothing. I make a bit and of well needed extra cash when I sell, good enough to buy her more clothing or some food. When I give them away is either to friends or neighbors in need.

17. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I too give away the outgrown clothes of my kids. Every summer and winter, I check whether they will be able to wear the clothes the next summer or winter. I give away all those which will not fit them the next year. This way I don't store unnecessary clothes.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is a superb way of managing excess clothing that aren't needed anymore. I wish I had a recycling service nearby as well.

Practically I give or throw away such clothes. With few people taking them these days I am still trying to give away at orphanages and old age homes.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    What I usually do is give them away if they aren't too worn out. If they're being outgrown as quickly as you say, I think they can be as good as new if you just wash them. I think you can even sell them for a dollar or less a piece so that you can purchase more clothes for your kid. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving away shoes, though because they're the dirtiest. You can wash them, I guess but that's just not something I would do along with underwear. Pants, shirts, and socks are okay, though.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes we do, you know the kind of relations in our society and culture encourages us to share our clothes etc with our siblings and relatives so we share our outgrown or even other clothes with them without hesitation. In fact we have a custom that a new born does not wear new clothes for first six days so relatives are eager to share their children's clothes to newly born kids.