Do you give gift certificates or pick out specific gifts?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For people who are close to me, I try to pick out just the right gift. I like to put some thought into it. I think gift certificates work well for grab bags, people you aren't particularly close to, or that one really difficult to buy for person. Even then, I try to get a gift certificate that I think they will really enjoy.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, if I really couldn't decide on what's to give, I would rather give a gift certificate and not a specific gift. I also think that this is way better than giving a cash. At least, with this, I have the idea of what and where he would spend that gift certificate. Unlike with cash, if I give it, I would be left completely clueless.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, once I gave my mother a box of gift cards and she totally loved it, because she loved to shop. So, I think even gift cards can be specific if you know the person that you are giving them to. I may have also bought another gift for her that year, but she really enjoyed opening each envelope to see where she would be planning to go every other day.

4. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you Zyni. But I do prefer to give an actual gift than a voucher or certificate because I feel that sometimes a certificate or voucher can feel thoughtless and effortless. But, having said that there is no point gifting someone who is difficult to buy for or you aren't close to. But I enjoy gifting so I would drop little hints, ask them what they like or ask them to accompany me on a shopping trip and see what they are in to.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never give gift certificates unless it's easier because of mailing something instead. I think they are good if a person likes that store and has something they want to buy, but I prefer to buy something personal. I hear stories of people having gift certificates and trying to think what they need to buy and often it takes up more time trying to find something they like, so I would rather take someone out for a meal or take them shopping!

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a habit of giving gift certificates as gifts, I think they are too impersonal. I prefer choosing a present, and if the person does not like it or it doesn't fit they can go ahead and exchange it. I only ever gave a gift certificate once beside the person specifically asked for one!

7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I always do my best to pick out specific gifts. Firstly, in many cases I can find a unique and appropriate gift much cheaper than I can purchase a gift card for. Secondly I feel like unless you just have no idea what to get someone that gift cards are super impersonal and show a lack of care and effort in my opinion. When it comes to gift giving I feel like it really is the thought that you put into it that counts.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind giving out gift cards or gift certificates, and I don't think the recipients mind either. They are almost as good as money and if you pick t the right store for the right person then it would show that you at least know the person well enough and spent some effort in finding which one to give. I don't rely on it too much though as I still think finding specific gifts is better.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's different though, and it's really a cool idea for someone who loves to shop. I bet your mom had a blast! I would also give such a gift to someone who lives far away, since otherwise shipping could cost more than the gift itself. I'd still try to choose a specific store or restaurant that I know for sure the person would like.