Do you have a gym membership or work out at home?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Kaybee517 • Sep 17, 2012.

1. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    For a long time, I went through the stage of buying memberships in gyms and exercise studios, Bally's, Elaine Powers, and places like that. I would start out with the charts and the measurements, and going every other day or so until I would stop and go every now and then if at all. This would cost me lost money, as I would not stick with it. So I stopped joining and quiting, then started to do whatever I was going to do at home. It is less expensive.

2. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    Working out at home is much more convenient for me. The idea of having to make a trip just to exercise would make me give up. I don't like the idea of exercising with a bunch of other people who happen to be strangers. I would rather save the club membership fees for new equipment, which I do love to spend money on.

3. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like going to the gyms so I tend to workout at home. Gyms are rather expensive and I think training at home or outdoors is better for my health. I also believe that riding a real bike is more efficient than using a stationary bike in the gym.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Many of our gyms are in competition so one is able to actually score quite a good deal if you shop around. I tend to go jogging with a buddy of mine outdoors but I am not against a gym membership and in fact, plan on treating myself to one soonest. Gym is cool and if you note how much time some people spend checking themselves out in the mirror - there is no worries that they will have time over to check you out too (and if so, only for a short time, lol).

I also agree with the others, that access to the sauna and steam room makes membership costs more acceptable and even accessible.

5. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    We have a gym set up in our garage which makes it very convenient to get a workout in. Before having a child, I used to prefer going to one of the local gyms. Now it is just easier for us all to stay at home and for me to workout while my daughter is napping. Occasionally, however, I do enjoy getting to a gym and taking a yoga class.

6. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have saved hundreds of pounds since I cancelled my gym membership and built a home gym. I spent around 1000 pounds on my home gym equipment but I have covered that easily in a few years. I'm now making profit on my investment and I love training at home.

7. dgb1975

dgb1975New Member

Threads:
    A gym membership is a waste for me, I cannot keep up with going. I can run downstairs at home, jump on the treadmill without a problem. It is so much quicker to work out at home and that is the only way I can stay consistent with it.

8. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    This is the same boat that I am in. On January 2, 2012, I joined a gym. It is a high-end gym with brand new machines, multiple courts (basketball, tennis, racquetball), different classes (like yoga, spinning, pilates, zumba, etc.), a sauna, a steam room, a swimming pool, a hot tub. I was very diligent for the first quarter of the year, just like most "New Years Resolution" gym goers. But, I never really made the most of my membership and only used some of the cardio machines. Then, I basically stopped going altogether - I've seriously gone once a month - only once! - the past couple of months. It is really a waste of money. So, I finally told them that I wanted to cut my membership. I realized quickly that going to the gym was not something for me. I would rather work out in the privacy of my own home or take a walk outside.

9. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    For me, I can't afford a gym membership. But actually I don't really think I would work out much more. I generally hit a work out two to three times a week. I guess if I paid for a gym membership I might go more because of the guilt over having spent the cash, saying to myself, "Geez I spent the money, now i have to go."
    But I really don't need to be next to some guy who is bench pressing 500 pounds and I am doing . . well what I am doing. Yeah I really need that to hit the self-image. And I guess for some there is a social thing that can happen but I am not sure that would be a fit for me.
    What I have here is a weight bench, barbell, some dumbbells and a ab-crunch rocker item and an old exercise bike.
    For me I guess that is enough. Now I gotta hit it more often.
    Ryder13

10. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I never felt like the gym was worth the cost or the time to drive there. I do enjoy a cardio or Zumba class, but that's a bit of a different atmosphere than the gym. I'm pretty happy working out at home right now.

11. Jentry07

Jentry07New Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of gyms either, in fact I've never owned a gym membership and have owned an at home treadmill instead. I love working out at home, not only because I am able to work when I have the time and not around the gyms times, but also because I too don't really like when people watch me I feel like sometimes others judge your workouts and such at the gym! If you're having a hard time getting back I've found that trying new workouts help you to find that motivation. Try a new workout video or you can find new ones online to help excite you again. I've also tried signing up for a 10K once that really motivated me to get on the treadmill and train for that!
    I read an article the other day

the other day that I thought was pretty helpful, had some great ideas in there! Definitely worth a read!
    Good luck, and congrats on all the weight loss thus far! That is awesome!!!!

12. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I personally workout at home now just because it is more convenient and cost effective. I also like working out in a more private setting as well. But I did enjoy my gym membership when I had it. I also had a free gym membership while I went to college, so that was amazing. But now I just find it easiest to workout and home. I have some pretty amazing workout dvds including p90x so I feel I have all the tools I need.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to workout at home. I have seen the new bikes that are similar to the elliptical machine that can go around the neighbor like a bike, I plan to get one of those. The wingflyer provides a great workout according to the promotional information.

14. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I work out at home these days but I used to have a gym membership a few years ago. To be honest, I was sick of all the pointless posing and having to wait to use a machine that was occupied so I bought my own equipment and use that now. Also, I would always make up my meals to take to the gym so I could replenish my energy after a workout but that got tedious too doing it every day. I can now just pre cook my food and then eat it straight after my workout without having to box it up, buy bags and foil for the food, washing out the food tubs, etc. Saved myself a lot of money and hassle in the long run. Others might like going to the gym and interacting with others while working out, I don't.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to let my gym membership go because I could no longer afford it. I really miss it. Now, I workout at home. YouTube is a great source of workout exercise equipment. There are some pretty creative workouts on that site.

I live in an apartment so it's pretty hard to get my cardio inside. So, I have started back jogging and playing tennis. Both of which I love.

16. floridawdw

floridawdwNew Member

Threads:
    My workout routine is fairly limited as far as flexibility because I have my daughters running around all day! I try and get up in the morning to exercise before they wake up. I really like any and all of the Beach Body DVD's from Insanity, P90X and Brazil Butt Lift. I would like to be able to go the gym, but we live in a rural area and the closest gym is over an hour away. I think I would go to the gym if I lived closer. For now though, I follow my workout-at-home routine. The nice thing about living in such a low-key area is that it is completely safe to take my girls on walks through the neighborhood without any worry of traffic. I figure the sooner I get them started being active, the sooner we can do many active things together. This will make my workout routine much more fun!

17. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Xbox kinnect

I use to go to the gym but it was a hassle going to and from so i decided to do it at home i got an xbox kinnect so that i can work out at home and a sports game and it works a lot better than going to a gym and it's more fun and i can do it whenever i want during the day night morning before or after work so i love it

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I work out from a gym before but I decided to move my work out sessions to my place because I thought that I can save more money this way. I bought my own weights and I made my own sit-up/curl-up chair that I use every morning to maintain my abs. I have my own bike which I use every morning and whenever I feel running, I always have my dog that loves to accompany me wherever I go.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work out at home, because using the gym costs money, and since I'm not keen on using gym equipment anyway, I'm content to just work out in the comfort of my own home, or outside on the streets when I'm jogging.

20. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer working out on my own. I initially had a gym membership so I would know the basics and the necessary routines. Eventually, I also moved to self-workout.