Do you have a gym membership or work out at home?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Kaybee517 • Sep 17, 2012.

1. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I do a bit of both. I am lucky in that I don't have to pay for gym membership since the gym at my mother-in-laws condo unit is free to unit owners and she named me one of the occupants of her two bedroom unit. It is also only 1 short bus ride from my house so I go there after I have sent the kids off to school 3 times a week. I also do some Yoga at home twice a week to supplement my gym workouts as I am trying to lose weight to the tune of 20 lbs.

2. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I used to go to gym but I find it un comfy as people are around you and they look at you. I am very self concious so I stopped going and bought a bike for me to work out at home. From then I do walking, bike and sometimes Zumba.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It goes against my frugal nature to pay for a gym membership. I prefer just jogging or walking at my local park/bike path. At least it has nature and trees and wildlife. While I was going for an exercise walk today by the canal, I actually saw fish leaping out of the water. I like having something to look at besides walls and I'm a big fan of fresh air. Plus free is my favorite price.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a gym membership, per se, but I work-study at a yoga studio. That is, I work there for five hours a week, and in return, I get unlimited classes. I probably wouldn't practice there if I weren't a work-study, because I'd probably not be able to spare the money. However, I greatly prefer being in class in front of a real teacher who can correct me on my form rather than trying to figure it out with a youtube video. I'm not too concerned about other people looking at me, because they're all too busy trying not to be looked at themselves.

5. sjohnst77

sjohnst77New Member

Threads:
    I'm doing

program and I think it's one of the best programs on the market right now. It's an intense workout in a short amount of time. They vary from 20 min - 1 hr. The important thing to remember is that you need to go at your own pace. If at any time you can't carry on, then stop for a few moments, get your breath back and then continue with where you left off.

If you're paying attention to your nutrition, then you'll see results after only a few workouts. I also plan on incorporating running into my workout routine soon now that it's getting warmer outside. If you ask me the gym is overrated. :)

6. Caprio

CaprioMember

Threads:
    talking of gym, i don't do much of it. I feel that i am naturally fit though i may do it occasionally when i feel that something needs to be done or when i feel that it's been long. Otherwise my daily walk-arounds are enough i guess

7. Khronic

KhronicNew Member

Threads:
    I simply can't work from home because I need heavy dumbbells and barbells, something that would cost me a lot if I tried to put it in my home. I work out at a nearby Planet Fitness and say that the price is fair and the weights are exactly what I'm looking for. An added bonus is that I'm friends with some guys who work there which makes working out more fun as well as someone to talk to about lifting weights. Plus I feel like if I workout at home I wouldn't push myself as opposed to a gym.

8. SuzyLewis

SuzyLewisNew Member

Threads:
    I work at the gym, Golds Gym, and at home.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a gym membership either.
    To be honest I gave my local gym a shot and I realized just how much I miss working out at home.
    At the gym I feel so limited because at home I like to sing while I workout or be verbal about it.
    I also hated how crowded my gym becomes at times. It just gets to a certain point where you feel uncomfortable and want to go homel

10. Denis

DenisNew Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to motivate myself to start exercising at home. I bought DVD p90x and I will start tomorrow.

11. Danblu

DanbluMember

Threads:
    Well I used to have a gym membership until a couple months ago. Unfortunately, due to work and costs, I had to quit so I turned to working out at home. It's nothing compared to what I can do at the gym, the room is small and I only have a couple of dumbells with limited weight but I manage to do something. I want to get back to the gym and really work hard and get healthier, not only to boost my confidence but to actually be stronger!

12. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    i actually do a combination of home and the gym. I can relate to those feelings of anxiety at the gym, but honestly I don't feel awkward at all and its a coed gym. The guys are so into their weights that they are not even aware of their surroundings. I do zumba DVD on the days that I don't get to the gym. I prefer to change right into my workout clothes, as soon as I get in from work. I DO NOT sit down until after my work out. I find this helps to keep focused because if i sit down time starts to get late and then comes my excuse of it being too late. It's a mind game. You can win!

13. themotleyshopper

themotleyshopperMember

Threads:
    I bit the bullet last year and joined a Boot Camp. It has been one of the best things I've ever done! That being said, I obviously work out at a gym : ) If I try to work out at home, I get to distracted.

14. rnowolabi

rnowolabiNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer working out at home. I have 3 kids and trying to find gym time around their schedules is nearly impossible. I invest in workout dvds and weights to use at home. And with all of the free workout apps on smartphones it's like having your own personal trainer. Personally I split my workouts each day. While my older kids are at school and my youngest down for a nap I try to weight train for 45 mins to 1 hour. Then around 7:30pm I will get in about and hour of cardio. I usually let the kids join me which tires them out nicely before bed.

15. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see how a video or DVD workout program can break monotony! Anyway the fact that other people will be doing what I'm doing is enough motivation to have gym membership. In fact, I go there for fitness purposes since I'm even considered underweight in the gym.. :D

16. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I was working out at home, but my house is small so I don't have a lot of space. For this reason I have been doing a lot of activities outdoors such as walking, bicycle riding, etc. However; it will be getting cold soon so I decided to join the gym with my husband. I also signed up to work with a personal trainer twice a week while I am there. I think paying for the gym and personal training will help me be more active because I don't want the money I have invested to go to waste.

17. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    For me the feeling of people watching what I'm doing inspires me to work harder. It is so boring at home and there are so many distractions, not to mention that lack of equipment.

18. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Have a couple of friends that are fit and use the gym, but i don't want that kind of body or life, so i just keep myself in check by doing it at home. It's a lot cheaper!

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The fitness industry as it has become is nothing I want to be a part of. It's shady and full of uneducated "trainers" that took weekend courses and have your safety and lives in their hands (truly). My "work out" is life.. I get most of my exercise living and playing.

20. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I used to have a gym membership at Ballys gym. I give Bally's a 5 out of 10. They had some nice raquetball courts but their showers are filthy. I ended up getting warts from using their showers which had to be frozen of with nitrous. Nowadays I just go to the local park to play hoops, run, and hit golf balls. It is cheaper that way and I don't get warts as I use my own shower.