Do you have insurance that covers gas and water lines?

Discussion in Home & Property Insurance started by MrsJones • Dec 16, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I received mail from a company that was selling insurance to cover gas and water/sewage lines that extend from the home to the public utilities' lines. I've been a homeowner for 15 years and this is the first I've heard of it. I thought it was a scam so I called the Better Business Bureau. The only information I acquired was that the business was legit. I reached out further and call the city water and found out that the service is indeed legit and they gave me the name and number of a company that they refer customers to.

Though others may already know about it, I thought I might share what I found out. It is surely worth the investment when you think about a pipe bursting between your property and the city's.

2. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I could be wrong but I think most Homeowner insurance policies cover these things. I got the same offer in the mail, it is like those additional car insurance ones they were sending out a few years back, additional insurance you might not need. With mine what happened is a few years ago a tree fell on the house, when the tree went over it pulled up and broke the sewer line. This was covered completely by my homeowners insurance (minus the deductible of course) at the time since it was open I had them replace the water lines, that was not covered, if I had this additional insurance it may have been. You are talking about a type of repair that maybe you might do once in your life. You have to gauge weather the cost and risk is worth carrying a insurance by a company that may or may not be around long. Better to review your existing coverage and upgrade that.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    :) If we really examine Insurance, there can be insurance for practically anything "capable of being owned" by man and that extends to, anything that we buy, and anything that we own by virtue of buying something else. what insurance really does as we know is to insure or give money to a person who has suffered loss as a result of some misfortune occurring. And, since pipelines are attached to homes, why not? I'm sure we saw or heard about the under earth gas pipe explosion that rocked an Eastern European country earlier this year..
    Next thing is, if there can be home insurance for natural disasters, why not have it for every other thing that is likely to destroy a house, I mean, a natural disaster is the last thing you'd expect to destroy a home right?

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It's a good thing that FEMA is around for that, wouldn't you agree? We'd all be up the creek without a paddle then.