Do You Heat Bathing Water?

Discussion in Heating started by remnant • Jul 26, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I used to heat bathing water when I used to stay in the village. When I joined boarding school, there was no provision for heating water for bathing due to the large numbers of students which would be a drain on resources resulting from the high electricity bill. Since then, I don't heat bathing water which saves on costs of electricity as well as the fact that cold water is good for skin health.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well yes, I do take hot showers when the weather is cold. I do not like the water too warm in the summer time though. It is hot outside so there is no reason why I need my bathing water hot as well. This is just one of the things that I am against doing. I like to have my water warm but not hot I would say. It makes me feel better to have a slightly warm shower in the summer, and a hot shower or bath int he winter.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely want a hot shower in cold weather ! In the summer, just a cool shower is fine, although I do usually have at least warm water to make sure i get really clean. Sometimes, just a quick rinse helps , because of the humidity.
    What I try to do is not use as much water when I am bathing.
    I have lived where I had to pack in water, and learned to rinse/soap/rinse, and not run the water constantly the whole time.
    Now, I do usually leave it running; but I do not turn it on full blast. As long as I have some water coming out of the shower and can rinse off with it, that works for me, and saves both having to heat the water and water usage as well.

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, it is a must in the mornings. That said, though, in the last few years I am getting closer and closer to taking cold showers during the day. The only time I really take them is in the summer and after a workout or if I am outside for a while and sweating, so colder water there is kind of nice. Early in the morning is a different story, though, and the heat works very well to wake me up, smoothly.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I the winter I do take warm showers. But in the summer I leave the cold water on full blast. It feels really good on a hot day. Getting wet on a hot day when the ac is not working good, Is as good as ac if you have a fan.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During the cold months of December and January, it is difficult to take a bath with the tap water. We have no hot shower so our alternative is to heat the water using a water heater. But my sister said that the water heater (the electric heater that is submerged in the bucket of water) consumes much electricity and a kettle of water heated in the stove is more economical. So you can guess that I bought a kettle for that purpose.

7. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    We only have 2 seasons here but it could get really cold during the rainy season and during the months of September up until February so we really heat our bath water during these months. We have a shower heater but it's not working right now so we also have to make use of a kettle in heating our bath water. The temperature could get really hot during the summer season though so I usually take a bath using cold water during this season.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    My place's weather is too warm to worth an increase in my electricity bill by connecting a water heating tank. I prefer cold water anyways. For people living in cold weather environment, I suggest to look for alternative source to heat your water, like gas. Electric power heating is expensive.

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. When our shower heater was still functioning, our electric bill was really at its peak. Now that we're using gas to heat our water, the bill surged down significantly. I guess this is why we haven't had our heater fixed until now, we're saving a lot on electricity. Heating water through the gas stove is far cheaper than using the water heater in the shower.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I used to heat bathing water when I was in primary school. When I went to boarding school, I found that I had to use cold water since it was a big community and heating costs would be high. This got me acclimatized to cold water and since then, I have not looked back. This has saved me alot in terms of heating costs.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like cold showers LOL I know this will sound weird and downright silly; but I never truly feel clean if I have to have a cold shower. I also went to boarding school, where we didn't have hot water but unlike you, I never did get used to it. Luckily for me,there's not much of a cost attached to heating water here. Well, in the summer, that is. It gets so intensely hot in my country, we very, very rarely have to switch boiler on. In the winter however, it get way too freezing cold to contemplate a cold shower. Even when we do heat up the water, it doesn't cost much. We only have to switch the boiler on about 15 minutes before we take our showers, and then the minute we're done showering, we switch it off.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The hot water heater here at the house is gas, and gas is much cheaper than electricity, so the cost to heat my bath / shower water is negligible. I welcome any chance I get to use gas instead of electricity, and I'm sort of kicking myself for buying an electric clothes dryer, rather than a gas one. So, in answer to the question, yes, I always heat the bath / shower water.

I have chronic pain and chronic inflammation, and I use very hot water a lot of the time, to alleviate those conditions. I will sometimes take two or three hot baths a day during my rough periods, and I've never seen the bill rise more than a few dollars per month.

13. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not heat bathing water. I bath with cold water 365 days a year. I have got to used to it now as I have been doing it from my childhood. Yes, it becomes very cold in the winters but as your body gets used to it, you feel its a better option. Cold water has a positive effect on the body by regulating the blood circulation and keeping the skin and hair follicles healthy. Hot water damages the hair and it is advised not to use it too often.

For people who find it difficult to bath with cold water, I suggest using lukewarm water. Turn on your geysers for a short time(5-10mins) and then try using that water. It feels much better and it's way better than directly using the hot water coming from the geysers.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I generally heat bathing water unless it is realy hot season.

I user dip in electric heater, it is pretty quick and doesn't waste much electricity.

15. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have read somewhere that using a warm water for a bath could provide a good blood circulation in the body. Also I have read that bathing with a warm water induces a person to be sleepy. And I have confirmed these to our family doctor and he did agree. But it is also good to take a bath with cool water. He didn't give me the reason why.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually heat my daughters bathing water almost daily but for me it will only be occasionally when the weather is cold basically. I use my electric mini stove to heat it up which doesn't come too expensive.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use water heater in my bathroom, whenever the weather is cold and the issuing water is cold I will regulate it to warm water. If it's a hot day I can go with normal unheated water. Using a water heater in the washroom gives a lot more convenience than having to boil before use.

18. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have water heating system installed in my bathroom. When ever I feel like bathing in warm water I heat water in a kettle and pour it in a bucket and bath.Probably this winter I will be installing geyser or solar for water heating purpose.

19. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is now December and starting to get cold at night and early morning. It is our culture to take a bath before going to work so expect the cold water in the morning, huh. And I cannot endure the cold water so I have to use a heater for the water - by heating water in the kettle on the stove or using the electric water heater with a round object that you place in the bucket of water. I got an advice to bathe in the noon time when it is not cold. That's true but I am at the office during that time so it is not possible.

20. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, I don't think I could endure a cold bath or shower. Even a warm shower seems to get on my nerves....I guess I just hate taking showers (I know, gross.) haha But it's just such a big job, for girls anyway...you need to start from scratch and wash your hair and re-curl it and re-style it and then wash a whole load of clothes after that....ugggh. I always take a warm shower, not a cold one or not a hot one....just warm. I get kinda sick and dizzy if the water gets too hot. And washing my hair in cold water would just send chills down my head. :eek:;)