Do you hold on to clothes you once fit in hoping you'll fit in them again?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by K'Lyn • Sep 3, 2014.

1. K'Lyn

K'LynNew Member

Threads:
    How often do you hold clothes you purchases when you were a 2 3 maybe even 4 sizes smaller in the hopes that you'll fit in them again and soon?
    I know I have the habbit of doing this? I had just boughten these awesome jeans that slimmed my waist and gave me a booty. 1 month later I found out i was 2 months pregnant and couldn't keep off the weight. Now I have a new pair of jeans I love but can't find the courage to throw away. I want to fit in the again. Do you do this too?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. Guilty party right here. I had a similar problem during the early part of this year. I had gained a few pounds and although I could still fit into my favorite pair of jeans, it still felt tight around my thighs. I workout a lot and eventually I was able to get back into the jeans. I know a lot of people do this all the time. Sometimes, my friend buys clothing 2 or 3 sizes smaller as motivation to get into them.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only bought clothes in a size I know I have been, though I do hold on to some that I hope I will fit into again. I give away clothes that are too big or don't fit well unless they are expensive and I hold on to them just in case. The worst is trousers or jeans as the fit is different on all of them. I try not to have them too tight, but keep the tight ones for the rare skinny day.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I even bought clothes that don't fit me because they were the only size left in the hopes that I will eventually fit in it. I don't think those clothes will fit me in the near future unless I lose weight, so I'm thinking of just selling them or giving them away, since my closet is full already.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, I was very overweight, and I had been so since being a child. So, I faced the prospect of losing weight, but I didn't have anything to slim into because I had just gradually got bigger, so as I threw things out of my wardrobe, the things that I replaced them with were bigger. I have now lost weight, and judge my weight based on how tight my favourite jeans feel. If they feel okay I'm fine, if they feel as though they're getting a bit tight I will be very good with my food and exercise for a week until they feel better. It feels like the best thing to do, and I have managed to maintain my weight for two years now and I'm very proud of myself.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I'm guilty of doing that all the time, specially if it's an item I paid a lot for. I have a handful of designer jeans that don't fit me and that I need lose quite some weight to wear... but still I hold my hopes up and don't get rid of them.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think this is quite common and normal for people to do. It's not necessarily bad either. It might give you the motivation you need in order to lose a few more pounds!

That being said, pregnancy changes the shape of your body so even if you lose more weight, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll ever fit into those jeans again. It might be better to let them go and focus on how you feel/look otherwise. :)

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty guilty of doing that. I also have a bad habit of holding onto clothes that are far to big that I once fit in, and I really shouldn't, just because I know that it really doesn't do me any good. I still have a pair of size 2 pants, and I'm an 8 now, but I've still got hope! ha.

9. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    I hold on to the old clothes for a while but give up after some time. :D

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do that but eventually I got over it and realized that I wanted a clean closet. If I decide someday that I want to change the way I look and lose 20 pounds, I can always buy new clothes.
    But I'm not willing to have a cluttered closet in hopes of possibly fitting in my old clothes someday. I'd rather have space.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I Definitely Keep Downsized Clothes

I must say that at first, the thought occurred to me that the nature of this post might only be relatable to females, but hey, I'm a guy, and I can definitely relate!
    I too hold on to clothing that has long gone past fitting me, simply for the reason that I have the aspiration of fitting into them once again someday. They serve as a symbol of hope for me. If I throw them away, it's like I feel that I'm "throwing away my hope that I'm going to be able to get to that size again".
    Now, that might sound a bit dramatic, I know, but it's true!
    On the other hand though, I have come to embrace that as we grow, even if we don't get "fat" per se, we're likely to increase--even a little bit--in mass overall, so maybe I might be fighting against something that's actually natural!. There are some clothes that I've treasured but have mustered up the courage to give them away, for two main reasons: one is that I've found that there are other persons out there who are currently the size I used to be, but who aren't as fortunate as I was in terms of their clothing options, so I freely give clothes to them.
    The other reason is, though, that I've "grown into my skin", in that I've become healthily comfortable with the weight that I'm at now, and what I have chosen to focus on now, is working to be "the best ME that I can be"; I'm getting into shape, eating better, living well with other people, and just being more thankful overall in life.
    So, I'd have to conclude really, that although I've "fallen victim" to holding on to clothing that no longer fits me, I've moved on to a better life, and a new appreciation...for me.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Considering the fact that I'm trying to eat as little as possible [just enough to survive (it's all about spirituality, enlightenment and stuff so don't ask why)] I don't think I'll ever put on any weight. I expect that in the next few years as I adjust to my new diet [liquid only] I'm going to lose a lot of weight. Since I have no intentions of ever going back to eating a lot, I don't think I'll ever fit into my old clothes. But I won't get rid of them either. Just get them resized to fit my smaller body.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I keep some of the favorite ones just in case but most of them I just give away or sell. The only problem is that sometimes my weight and size fluctuates and I ultimately regret losing my other sized wardrobe, but new clothes aren't that expensive anyway so I don't mind it too much. Plus the ones I lose are usually out of style already anyway.

14. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I still have some of my best cloths with me. I don't fit in them anymore but I feel with little alterations I might fit in them. I just don't feel like giving them up.

15. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I thankfully have a very fast metabolism so no matter how much I eat I generally maintain the same weight. However I do keep really cute clothes that don't fit me.....for craft purposes though! There are lots of articles around, if you just google ways to make things out of old clothes. You can turn them into accessories or my favourite project so far: a cute hanging storage that I use to store my favourite tank tops. I was surprised by how many options there are and DIY is a really fun hobby too.

16. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I used to do this all the time! My weight fluctuates by 5 to 10 pounds constantly so I am always buying different sizes. I tend to keep certain "staples" when it comes to clothing. Like jeans and jackets.. even if they are a little tight you can still manage to wear them. Most other things I have learned that if you haven't worn it in the last year, you probably never will.

This thinking saves a lot of room in my closet and helps me to get rid of things I will never wear again!
    Danyel :)

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like holding on to clothes that do not fit me already. They serve as bitter reminders of my former weight. LOL. When something doesn't fit me anymore, I give it to my relatives or other people who are in need of clean and decent clothes. Sometimes, I donate it to charitable organizations, too.

18. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Ill hold on to some of the clothes, but it's also not plausible to hold on to closes that are FAR outside of what your current size is or else your closet and drawer would be filled with clothes you just never wear. I often just donate those clothes and if I end up losing weight, then I'll just go shopping and buy some new things.

That hasn't happened all too often though. I've been hovering between 2 sizes basically for about 5 years.

19. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If it doesn't fit me I tend to donate it. The only time I won't do that is if it is an article of clothing that was ridiculously expensive or a great staple piece. As others have said I would rather have the space--I only live in a 1 bedroom apartment--than hold onto things that may never fit me again.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit I've been guilty of this in the past, big time. But the sizes that I was holding onto were sizes that I just likely won't ever be again...it's not so much a pessimistic attitude as just being realistic about it. I have weight loss goals and I'm meeting a lot of them, but I probably won't be the sizes I was as a teenager anytime soon. I finally boxed a lot of them up and donated them- better to go to someone who'll actually wear them and enjoy them, instead of just having them taking up space and making me feel bad about my weight loss.