Do You Make Your Own Easter Baskets?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Mar 10, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy prepackaged Easter baskets or do you make your own? Maybe you just buy a basket and fill it yourself instead of buying a pre-filled one. I find that I save a lot of money making my own.

One year, I bought those rectangular plastic bin baskets from the dollar store and had the kids decorate their own. I let them use odds and ends of my craft supplies like pieces of lace, ribbon, or Fabric, and buttons and sequins and stuff. They had a lot of fun with it, and it still cost less than the alternative.

Have you ever made your own Easter baskets or tried a project like this?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a fab idea :) But we don't go all out in our celebration of Easter. We only go so far as stuffing our faces with hot cross buns and chocolate eggs hehe. There's only me and my husband, so that's all we really do. When we lived in England, we got together with my in-laws because as staunch Christians, they celebrate it. Here in Botswana we don't get as involved.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've made my own Easter baskets before and plan to do so this year as well. It saves a lot of money on buying pre-packaged ones, and it's more personal to the recipient too. There's so often something in pre-packaged baskets that the recipient wouldn't appreciate I tend to find. I'll be including Easter eggs as well as other little treats probably. Things like tea, hot cross buns, cupcakes, cookies and the like. I like to decorate the baskets or added colored tissue paper too.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea. I do not buy the already filled baskets as I like to put in the candy and toys that I bought for my children in them. I usually use the same basket each year. I like your idea of having a plain basket and then letting the kids decorate their own. I will have to do that next year since I have a ton of craft items they could use. Thanks for the idea.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you found it useful. I quite enjoyed doing stuff like that with my kids when they were little, and now with my grandkids. Saving money can be fun. :)

I do like that homemade gift baskets are much more personalized. I also don't like the way most of the store bought ones are stuffed with a bunch of junk. They just aren't worth the money, in my opinion. They also include too much sugar for my liking. I'd rather add a few fun toys or crayons and stickers and bubbles and stuff, instead of just candy. I do throw in a few treats,, of course. ;)

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I bought 2 big plastic Easter baskets from the Dollar store 10 years ago and I'm still using them for my kids. I keep the Easter grass in it so all I have to do is fill it with things for my two kids each Easter. I usually buy a book, some hockey cards, some Lego, chocolate bunny, a small stuffy and a card game like UNO. For my nephews I usually get Dollar Store baskets and fill with chocolates, iTunes gift cards and some clothes like a t-shirt or baseball cap. It's pretty fun to fill the baskets up with items I know they'll really like.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up we made our own Easter baskets filled with all the things we like. Now I often think of that time seeing all the baskets and fixings in stores. It was a fun time long ago making our own Easter basket fixings for we got to choose our own special goodies for our baskets!