Do You Make Your Own Soap Or Do You Buy Already Made ?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Keibah • Oct 26, 2017.

1. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    When I have the time, I prefer to make my own bathing soap rather than buy. I use the African black soap with a preference for a product called "dudu Osun ". I love it because it keeps my skin clear,shiny and smooth. The main ingredient is camwood, camwood is mixed with other natural products like aloevera, Shea butter and lemon.

When I have the time, I love to make my own as I can add all the ingredients in the proportion I desire and I can easily get them at the local market. The most interesting part is that it is two times cheaper than buying the already made product.

2. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy my own soap than to purchase it. I am not much of a crafting in that type of field and personally for me, I feel it would be cheaper and less time consuming to purchase my own soap. I could easily mess up somewhere along the lines of making my own soap, costing more money. Plus, I could always buy soap on sales.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's really industrious to make your own soap...custom made soap for your needs is so good. I buy soap from Walmart because they are the cheapest. I haven't checked Target that just opened in Ala Moana Center so, until then Walmart is the cheapest to get a pack of soap. Oil of Olay 6 pack of soap, 20oz is 4.97. I usually buy Dove 6 pack of soap which goes for 6.88. Oil of Olay is a good brand so I decided to try it. If it agrees with me, I'll next try their skin care products. How lucky you are to make your own custom soaps.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I tried to do it once but it didn't work, haha (the more curious is that the production process is relatively easy). It's best to buy them already made (especially when prices are on sale :D).

5. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    This
    This is an interesting ideal. I buy my bathing soap simply because it safes the time I would use for making it. I also think it will be more expensive in terms of acquiring the required materials. This makes it the last option I would ever try.

6. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    Call it laziness or just ignorance, but I would never make my own soap. First of all I don't think I can get the time to do it and secondly my gut tells me that it would be more cost effective to purchase soap. Well, my gut could be wrong. In my country, items like bathing soap or generally any type of soap are very cheap. Due to this, no one actually thinks of spending less on soap by making their own.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think you might save some money when you make your own soaps and its probably nice, because you can make it very high quality as well. You have to consider your time though,but I will have to look into it in the future, when I have more time. When making your own soap,you do control what goes into it,like putting whatever essential oils in it to give it the scent you want it to have. For now though I would just be on the lookout for some good natural soaps on the market you can buy. They sell a soap for a dollar-called C.O. Bigelow Lavender/Peppermnt Soap,and say its pretty good-has anybody tried it ?

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I just have a general idea of soap making and have no practical experience making one. As far as I know, to actually save by making soaps on your own, you'll have to mass produce them or buy the raw materials in bulk. That may not be cost-effective at all unless you intend to sell them. On the other hand, soaps are not that expensive and we can save a lot by buying them during sales seasons when we can have them at buy one-take one prices. In some instances, we can even find free soap products bundled with shampoo products. While I can experiment with soaps for myself, my better sense tells me to buy a trusted soap product for my son.

9. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I have never made my own soap (I've made candles, but not soap)...but I do buy the cheapest soap out there, usually at dollar stores. They even have 3-packs for only a dollar. Another tip, you can use the shampoo that runs off your hair after washing it as shampoo, in my opinion, it smells even better than soap and cleans better. Because hair is more difficult to get clean that skin, so you just know it has some pretty good cleaning/purifying qualities to it. Sometimes I just walk around smelling like shampoo from head to toe. :D

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an idea of making washing soap and if I try a little harder then I can probably make bathing soap too but honestly the amount of bathing soap my wife and I use it would be costlier to make our own soap so we buy from the market. The only thing is that I use a liquid soap and my wife prefers either herbal varieties or having soft oils.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    If I knew how to make soap, I would definitely make it because some soaps are harsh on my hands and getting something friendly and cheaper would be nice.

I always buy soap instead. Dettol for antibacterial which costs $2. And soap for washing clothes which costs $1.85 per bar. :D

12. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I have never tried to make my own soap. I always buy my soap at the supermarket. I buy a set of 3 or 4 soaps at a time so that I can save money. I will however try to prepare my own soap at home. Preparing my own soap is a good thing to learn.

13. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    It has always been on my list to actually create a soap at home which I can use and for my family to use as well but for some reason it is always never accomplished. I even watch videos of it on some popular video sharing sites to hope that one day I could also create my own and even make money out of it but to no avail. As of now I am still dependent on the commercially available bath soaps, but I will one day make my own.

14. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    The only thing i assume people that make their own soap benefit from is the thrill and the experience since it's really not that cheap.

15. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried making my own soap. I have heard that you can easily make your soap with soup nuts, which is available in my garden, however, I have never tried this. I have always believed that home made soap is usually costlier than store bought soaps because you are producing in few numbers.Having said that I have sometimes made my own body cleansers

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I think if you buy the handmade soaps in the market, it might cost much more than you make them yourself as handmade soaps are usually quite expensive. But if you buy the ready made soaps in the shop, perhaps it's cheaper than making your own soap. If your wife likes herbal ones, perhaps she can try making her own soaps and experiment with adding different herbs that she likes. It's an enjoyable process to make soaps, especially being able to make what you like. I don't know how to make these yet but have seen my friends making them.

I'd prefer to make my own soap when I am available as it's much cheaper than buying the handmade soaps outside, moreover it's a joy to make my own soap for my family and myself. At the moment, I am only making the very basic soaps, perhaps just added some essential oils.I will need to learn more.

17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to make one, so I only go for market. In past I have seen one home made soap used in hotel and it was really good compare to any market soap I have seen so far. But I wonder if it is easy process to make it. I can checkout on internet but I am not sure if I can made one. So far never tried it but I will try it some day in the future.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter-in-law makes homemade soap, and she even sells it to other people who can’t use regular commercial soap. she makes a bunch of different varieties, and it is actually very nice to use and smells wonderful as well. I have also bought homemade soap made with goat’s milk, and it is very mild and easy on the skin. The lady who makes that soap also makes hand and face lotion, and it is some of the best face cream that I have ever used, and it is rich and feels wonderful on my skin.
    I have never tried making my own soap, but I like using it when I can get it from someone else who does make it, and I do think that it is a good thing to be able to make your own soap and other face and skin products.

19. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I have the time or patience to make my own soap. It just seems like an laborious exercise to me. Moreso, body wash soap is very affordable in my country. Coincidentally however, washing soap for clothes is quite expensive. So this is maybe what I would be inclined to learn how to make and would actually make.

20. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on this, it takes time and patience and at the end of the day you will not gain much and have not earned anything.