Do You Neuter Your Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by remnant • Nov 20, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In most cases, pets breed prolifically putting a strain on the resources of the pet owners. A good example is dogs. Its a tradition introduced by one of my uncles to neuter male dogs to reduce the cost of maintaining a large pack due to inbreeding. Nettering also reduces straying.This of course doesn't apply to farm animals.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are against neutering pets but we are also against excessive breeding. We have 1 female dog and 2 male dogs who co exist peacefully. However, things change when the female goes in heat. We put her in a cage to be safe because we do not want her to get pregnant. We think that there is an overpopulation of dogs already so it is right to have puppies that we do not need.

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It is not right to neuter animals. Even when they are strays. It may be that numbers of strays can be kept low, but there are some people who have neutered all the stray cats and dogs in a certain place I won't mention, and after ten years, it has ended up that there are now virtually no stray cats or dogs there.
    I wanted a puppy and couldn't find one as they had practically become extinct on the street. These animals live wild in some countries and we don't have the right to take away the gift of reproduction from them. They are living beings and have a natural urge to reproduce, just as we humans do.
    If an animal is domesticated, however, I think it is fair to let them have one litter at least before getting them spayed or neutered.
    It is said that it is better for the long term health of the animal to be neutered or spayed, but that is ridiculous, there are fors and againsts on that either way.
    We humans are animals too, so why is it that we don't neuter ourselves? Of course, we never would, and we are not the worse off for it. We just do it to animals to give vets more money.
    In some cases, like male dogs for example, neutering them may be necessary in the case of aggressive behaviour etc, but I think that spaying and neutering should only be carried out if the animal really needs it. Otherwise, just as @Alexandoy@Alexandoy says, keep the sexes separate while they are on heat.
    Serious problems like Pyometra can occur in female dogs when they are spayed so if anyone is really thinking on taking away a natural thing in their pet, think first, research and then weigh up the pros and cons before just going along with what the vet says.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I neutered my cats because I do not want to add to the over population of stray cats with no homes. My cats are outdoorsy and I remember my female cat always have a lot of suitors before I spayed her. Neutering cats is mandatory on my town because a species of bird almost became extinct because of stray and feral cats.

In New Zealand, Stray cats and dogs became a problem for the ecosystem that Ministry of environment had dogs and cats killed via guns to stop the extinction of endangered animals.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I always thought that it was a good idea, but we also always lived in pretty tight quarters and any extra little friends would have been too much. If we had the space it might have been different.

6. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    No offense dude but caging dogs is cruelty. A person who doesn't allow his dogs to live inside the house should not be allowed to have dogs. I only put collar on my dog if she needs to be walked but she lives in my house and she roams freely in my backyard.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I appreciate your concern for dogs. But don't get me wrong. All our dogs live inside our house and we never have the idea of having a dog outside the house. That caging of our female dog is only to prevent her from getting pregnant but she is only inside the cage in the daytime and that is in the living room. But at night, she sleeps in our bedroom.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have had several pets but I have never neutered them. I do not think it is my right to interfere with what nature has given to animals who can't speak for themselves.

I never had a problem of inbreeding because I always have kept my animals separate at right times.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Given I have only one pet and that too is a male dog, I do not have a reason to go for the process.

However, I'm not in favor of neutering the pets. This looks inhuman from my part to do something like that for my personal convenience. After all, if I've kept a pet for my happiness, I've to embrace him with all the advantages and disadvantages.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    It is actually not for human convenience. It is for the animals because the population of homeless animals is a problem. Many Animals have no home because the owner of their parents didn't neuter their parents. Animal rights groups actually encourage neutering. Also cats and dogs can be invasive. In New Zealand certain species of animals became endangered because of the stray cats and dogs.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Animal welfare groups do encourage owners to neuter/spay their pet dogs and cats to prevent overpopulation of stray animals. My pets - cats and dog - are all female. I have no problem with my dog because she is confined inside the gate. However, she is a very smart and loving dog and I wan't her to have at least one litter in her lifetime so I might have to pair her off with a suitable male one of these days. I'll definitely not have her spayed.

I have two female cats and I initially planned to have them spayed. I read from the website of an animal welfare group that female cats have to mate when they are in heat. If not, they're going to develop some forms of reproductive cancer. Having them spayed will prevent them from going in heat and help them live a longer life. However, I've also read that this operation may also have side effects, including death. I didn't think that my conscience can take it if one of them dies because of this operation so no, I'd rather not have them go through it. Because they both enjoy playing and exploring the outdoors, both of my cats have gotten pregnant twice. However, all kittens were born dead so I'm still stuck with my two cats which are both under one year of age. No, I don't think, I'll have them spayed.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, because I have always rescued my pets, they are always neutered or spayed by the rescue home. This is one of the things we pay for when we buy them and I am quite happy to do this as it would be far more expensive if I had to pay for it myself.

It's far better to get it done than to have to worry about keeping animals apart and having unwanted pregnancies so I would always want mine to be neutered

13. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    As a cat owner, yes, I do get my pets neutered. Those who own cats will enthusiastically agree that cat urine is a particularly revolting substance. More specifically, the oil they use to mark territory is. Your cat is unlikely to straight up squat and relieve itself outside of the litter box unless something is wrong. But an un-neutered cat will hose down every piece of furniture you have with urine mixed with an oil produced in glands to either side of their anuses. This stuff is chemically complex and it reeks! It is near impossible to remove from furniture cushions without special enzymatic cleaners that don't always work. And all of this is 100% more likely to happen if you have a female who goes into heat! By all means, for the psychological well being of your cat, and the aroma of your house, get your animal neutered.

14. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Punkin@Punkin. Wow this post takes me back. I remember when I lived at home with my parents, there was an unneutered tom cat which roamed the neighbourhood and if we weren't careful he would get into our houses and spray the furniture, especially if we had our own pet.

It was the most revolting pungent smell and virtually impossible to get rid of. I think my mum used to leave pepper around the house to keep him away although I don't remember if it worked. I think these days you can probably buy spray to neutralise the odour.

15. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    The oils will last practically forever! I had a sweet old kitty who died of thyroid disease many years ago. In her last days she got a little off and would mark the carpet. I tried my best to clean it with some success. Some years after she passed the carpet had just had all it could take so I got to work removing it. Wall to wall carpeting may look nice but it is very difficult to pull up!

When I finally got it removed from the wall boarding, I pulled it back and was greeted with one of the worst smells I've ever experienced. The oil in her urine was still there! It had pooled under the runner and was just congealing on the wooden floor. It was even still wet. This stuff is no laughing matter. It will destroy your house.

16. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I did have my dog spayed since she likes to get away and I didn't want her to get pregnant. I don't want puppies and don't want to have to take care of them. There are too many unwanted animals around now so I wouldn't want to add to it. I think it is everyone's choice on whether to get their pets neutered or spayed and if someone doesn't want to then there is nothing wrong with it.