Do You Pay Someone To Carry Your Shopping For You?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by mildredtabitha • Nov 21, 2017.

1. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    I normally end up paying people to carry my shopped items. Most of the times it is not intentional but I can't help it, I am an impulse buyer. Here in my country, Kenya, many youths who don't do well in school end up doing these kind of jobs. They wait for people outside shopping malls and in the matatu stages. When they spot someone who looks tired and with much luggage, they offer to carry the bags on their back and charge a very small fee, say $0.5 or 50 Kenyan shillings. It is really sad to see them working hard to get such small amounts of money but what can I do?:(

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly. I couldn't explain it any better but you have explain it very well. I was just not sure how much they get paid but I think the price varies. Some nice people can pay more than the price this young men are asking for.

I think they are paid less because no one considers it a job. People tend to look down on such services but I think earning that way is better than committing crimes.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We have paid labors working that within a limited area however they do not bring it to your home. In case you have more than what you can carry then you can avail the services of cycle-carts (we call them Rickshaw) for this purpose. They charge you a reasonable amount according to distance and carry up to 200 kg of load to whatever you wish to take them . Some stores provide their own Rickshaw service for this very purpose.

4. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    No I never have paid anyone to do my shopping for me, as that kind of professional service is not available in my country. However, I would request a friend or someone I know to get me something that I need from where they are anyway going and do the same for them in return when need be.

5. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    It's my items, I should be the one carrying it. Not unless if it's out of my strength. If it's too many for me to hand-carry or if it's too heavy. But as much as possible, I don't want others to carry what I shop, I don't wanna feel special or what not. I just don't.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's too much to carry then we always use a two wheeler scooter or car to carry the things to home. I don't think there is anyone available to this as a service in my area but if I am in real trouble or unable to walk or drive I can always request someone in my neighborhood to do me the favor but that would not be a paid service.

7. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I really think it would be a waste of money to simply pay someone to carry your items. I would rather do it myself, it would be more effective just to make another trip one day in the week than to pay someone to carry your shopping. If you can just get friends or family to help you our instead.

8. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I do shopping and for that I engage our regular rickshaw and this guy will be around till I finish shopping as and when shopping is done the stuff will be loaded in his rickshaw and back home our maid will carry the stuff. This does not happen often as I do online shopping where the couriers will get items right to our doorstep.

9. mildredtabitha

Threads:

I did not mean doing shopping for you. I meant carrying heavy bags of shopping for you because you find them to be heavy.

I also believe this is the right attitude but some people need money and that is why they offer to carry luggages for other people. :)

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    For those that have their personal vehicle, this certainly won't be any problem for them as they can just easily drive with their items safely in their cars and right into their homes.

But the case is different when one is taking public transportation. Personally, I don't have my own private car yet but whenever I know I would shop something that I can't carry all by myself alone, I would simply get a cab to help me carry it straight to my house instead of struggling with public transportation.

If you aren't careful how your products are packed in the public bus, some of the items bought might be damaged which is another extra cost and expenses for you.

11. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do thorough planning when going for shopping. I must take into consideration how I will transport the items from the shopping center to my house. If the items are big enough, for instance, furniture, many shopping centers will transport for you free of charge to your house, as long as the house is within the shopping center.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :)You are welcome! It's a very good idea too that these people would like to work and get paid too and you get the help you need. When you need the help they are there to help you. It's a win win situation. I like my trolley dolly and it is so much easier than carrying it in a bag on your shoulder. I always feel better when I use my trolley dolly than carrying my purchases in my bag on my shoulder. The trolley dolly does have it's limits too, so you still got to strategize your shopping.

13. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, I carry whatever I bought myself. If I go shopping for a lot of stuff, or anything that might be heavy, I just use my car. I would however help elderly/disabled with this, though I've never been asked to, or others if I was paid.

14. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    I used to carry my own shopping bags. I don't like to give them to someone else for carrying.

15. Rexy

RexyMember

Threads:
    Eh, I wish I was that rich! Unfortunately, I do all my shopping on my own and in my opinion, it's better to do it yourself, that way you know what you're getting.

16. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    I also don't like giving someone else my shopping to carry. I prefer to carry everything fof myself.
    It is a nice act to help the elderly or disabled. I also prefer carrying things for myself. :)
    I won't mind helping out too but not for money.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have never paid someone to carry my bags because I can carry my bags, besides I go shopping with my wife because she knows better what we need to buy.

18. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is actually good, planning ahead of the actual shopping time on how to go about it is a very nice idea. It will help you consider all the variables that may come in the shopping agenda there coming up with solutions on how to go about it.

Although, some people tend to drift away from their shopping plans which throws off their initial plans on how to handle the shopping out of the window.

19. Tunmise

TunmiseNew Member

Threads:
    It's a good thing you're doing, most people don't even pay attention to details like this. Though it is sad to see children having to hustle this way, it builds a work for reward mentality in them rather than get things in mischievous ways. I would do the same though its a way of helping out the little ones.

20. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I do not know there are such services where we can pay someone to carry our shopping items. I have not done so and I don't think I will ever do so, as I usually shop within my own ability as I won't buy too much. Moreover, we always drive our own car when going shopping, so we can always put our stuff in the car first. I used to carry a backpack when I went grocery shopping when I was walking to the shop, hence I can just put the stuff I bought in the backpack without carrying too many bags.