Do You Prefer Walking Around With Cash Or Card?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by mildredtabitha • Sep 30, 2017.

1. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I carry both cash and card as it's not possible to go around with either one of them. We need cash to take public transport and to buy stuff from stores that don't accept cards. These stores offer much lower prices than supermarket chains that accept debit/credit cards so they're always part of my shopping route. To stay safe, I always carry a slim belt bag under my blouse/shirt and that's where I keep my card and large bills. I only carry cash that I would need for a particular shopping trip. I also bring a coin purse where I place the loose change to pay for small purchases from market vendors. I buy meat and store brands from supermarkets and that's where I use my card.

2. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I like having both on hand. However, there is a greater risk to having a lot of cash at hand than card. You can get mugged or even harmed. So what I do is to have a bit of cash at hand especially for places like open markets that do not offer card facilities. But on a larger scale, a card is much safer than cash.

3. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like the debit card a lot-but remember, you can get cash back when you checkout at the grocery store-so you really have access to some cash. If you need some cash you can just purchase something for a small amount with your debit card and get some cash to carry around without being charged any fees-so that is really convenient. Its great because you do not have to hike to the bank or locate a ATM machine to get your cash- and no fees are assessed,so its a great experience overall for me.

4. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

I totally agree with your point. I also find that I get tempted to buy things I don't need when I carry more cash. The fact that a bank is some distance away helps me save because I will only withdraw when I need the cash for immediate use. :)

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually have cash with me, so I generally use my debit card when I am out and about. I have a little bit of cash now..but it is kind of in case of emergency. I mostly use my cards.

6. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Believe it or I tend to carry both. I don't why but when I carry money I sometimes am more likely to be a bit more mindful with how I spend my money. It sort of limits me in a good way. Perhaps it is because I always carried money in my wallet when I was younger. Carrying money helps me with my spending habits.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I too prefer both, but I don't keep cash more. There are some advantages of it. I mean if we having more cash in hand then we might go for unnecessary spend. But having card with us will not go like the same way. So I always used to keep low cash in my pocket and when they get finished then I used to cash few more using card. It is kind of saving money too. Lol

8. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Some people like to pay with cash. I also like the idea of paying with cash for all the items I buy and for all the services I procure. But currently I am preferring my card as a mode of payment. I keep small balance of money in the bank account whose card I am using. It is quite hassle free. But believe me paying with cash has it's own importance.

9. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I always have my card with me at all times when I am out and also carry a bit of cash. Although card is much safer than cash, but it is still a comfort to have the cash around with you at all times, you never know when you might need it and under such circumstances, a card might not be useful at all or hard to find an ATM or establishments that accept card. So having some cash is a must for me.

10. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to have both in my pocket just in case. Too much cash burns a hole in your pocket. I always go to places that sometimes only accepts cash so I'd rather be prepared and have something in case I need to spend some on things I like. In my country, there are lots of places that they only accepts cash as a mode of payment.

11. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKingNew Member

Threads:
    @mildredtabitha@mildredtabitha Absolutely. Also, cash allows you to buy things from casual vendors, yard sales, etc., while cards only work at larger businesses...so I say "Nice people always carry cash"!

@wallet@wallet I agree with you, Wallet. I'm more concerned about cybertheft and identity theft than about pickpockets. "Who steals my purse steals trash, but who steals my good name..."

#31Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  12. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I carry cash as well as card. I need cash where cards are not accepted (believe me in my home country cards are not accepted every where) and I need cards where it is convinent to use cards. I use debit cards only However, I don't carry a load of cash or a card that is connected to a bank acocunt where I have big funds. Walking with a loads of cash or a card that can be used to withdraw unlimited amount can be dangerous.

13. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    You are right on this. I am not sure if my card is safe for use because I wouldn't want to end up using all the balance in my bank account. Cards are very tempting. I believe prepaid cards and debit cards are best for people who like using cards. I would rather withdraw directly from the ATM and use the cash. :D

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I use a prepaid card instead of a credit card therefore, I have the options of using it like I would a ctedit card or for the withdrawal of cash. I don't like traveling around with huge amounts of cash, therefore a small amount of cash plus the card, that's the way I operate.

15. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Here where I live there are small shops that do not have the digital facility which soon they will be asked to go for with the new government's ambition to go cashless.
    I carry both my debit card and some cash.

16. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Both! I tend to take my card out with me most times but always have a bit of small change in my purse as well. Small change is a good idea to pay for cheap things or bus fares for example.

17. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:

Having enough cash is better for me because you can easily buy anything at anytime without any problem. But having a card will also assist when you run out of cash.A card is relatively easier to carry and its safe because if you are robbed of it it may not be of any service to the robber. Carrying a card is also of great help because you can use it to buy goods.

18. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I prefer walking with a card. In my country, things have been made easier by banks as they have provided sim cards that one can use to withdraw cash anywhere. I, therefore, love to carry my ATM card, sim card or even both. Looking at the security aspect, I think it is better to have a card as ready cash can be stolen anytime.

19. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I got robbed once carrying all the money I had saved to buy stuff for my wedding, and after that I just can't bring myself to carry any large amount of cash. If it's a small amount, I don't mind carrying it if I'm going to buy somewhere where they don't accept cards, but I won't be caught dead carrying around a large amount of money. It's just not worth it.

20. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, carrying both is the best option since you can never be aware of the situation that you might find yourself in during the time.