Do you read children stories for you babies?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by 003 • Jun 10, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Although babies don't yet understand, my mom used to read me stories when I was one. I tried to argued her that it was useless and she was just wasting time and effort for doing so. But she said back that I might not be able to understand it, but I am able to be familiarized with the sound, the tone, the enunciation of the ways she told the stories, the sonority and the beauty of speaking. And I realized that it's not important if the babies can't understand; what's important is the environment with which they are growing up and developing. She read stories to me so the culture and the effect will become part of my development.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It reminds of the movie "Baby's Day Out."

The nanny would read the baby the story, show him pictures and when the baby did go out, he wanted to experience everything in his story. Oh fine, that's fiction but I think kids do enjoy hearing someone speak to them. So if you want to soothe a baby but don't speak any motherese because you never learned it, reading a book to the child would calm them down too.

I've done that once or twice so I know it works.

3. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    I always read stories to my newborn. The doctor actually recommended it, because even though they can't understand the story line they can still learn. They like to look at images and watch your mouth move as well as hear your tone and voice. I love reading to my little guy. It normally puts him to sleep after 10 minutes or so. I can't wait for the day that he turns the page himself and understands!

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I started reading for my baby girl when she was two and a half month. She is now six and a half, she loves looking at all the pictures on her baby's book, and reading is one fun part of her daily life.

Her favourite book is "mog the forgetful cat" and she seems to have a very good memory for it. She hates it when my husband tries to read another book to her and smile when my husband takes her favourite book. Whenever I say "nobody likes me" (from the book) she will looks around with a smile because she knows where that sentence comes from :D

5. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My mom read to me whatever she was currently reading at the time when I was a baby. I read to my baby now, however, he is at the age where he tries to grab the book out if my hands and chew on it. Sometimes I can get him to look at the pictures with me, however, he is at the age where he is always on the move! There is definitely educational value in reading to your baby, immersing them in language.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Speaking to children, whether with stories or conversation, teaches them everything about speech and communication. I used to read my babies stories and I used to prop them up on my lap and have full conversations with them lol.. they were my best friends ;) And although they didn't end up with a love of reading like I did.. they did learn to read and write very very early. Which, at this point doesn't matter to me.. they would have done it anyway.. the point being, talking to your kids is extremely important. In any way you can. Stories are just another tool and another perspective on the world around them and imagination... and bonding with their parents.. the most important of all.

7. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I did not read enough to my children when they were babies. I wish I had!!!!

I did read mostly the "touch and feel" books - where they can touch soft fabric, scratchy beards, etc. I think my kids thought all books were touch and feel! LOL

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've always read stories to my kids since they were babies. They love stories and reading now. It was just part of our daily bedtime routine to read a book after bath time. My kids also love going to the library and I've taught that books are very special and precious. The love of reading is the best thing we can give our children, it opens up doors and opportunities. Children who grow up in a rich environment filled go to school with a large vocabulary and are prepared to learn. They understand the beauty of words and rhythm of text. Looking a picture books with a toddler develops word and sound recognition, colours, numbers, letters. It sets up our children for success. Not to mention the bonding time we get to spend with our children when they are little.

9. elrjlr22

elrjlr22New Member

Threads:
    I definitely read stories to my baby. She is going into her toddler years now and loves books. I just had the soft books that were only a couple of pages long and now we read the board books. She also loves the touch and feel books that help with sensory. It's a conversation that you are having with them which is extremely important. I tried to read to her any time of the day so that she wouldn't associate reading with bedtime which can, but not all the time, turn kids off to reading because they don't want to go to bed. I agree with everything @purplepen88@purplepen88 said. It sets them up for success.

10. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I started reading to my baby when she was only about 5-6 months. I also learned baby sign language and taught her words that way. She would sign to me when she couldn't even speak yet. Now she's almost 4 and way advanced than a bunch of other toddlers. She can do a lot and she learns very quickly. I think it's important to get them started early on learning. Spend a good amount of time teaching them. It's fun and it's so much fun to watch them communicate with you when they can't even talk yet. Only thing is now I slacked and got busy with working and taking care of the house that I haven't one so with my 1 year old. But I still read to him.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't remember anymore if my parents read for me or not, but I also read about that, like making your children listen to classical music while they are still in the womb can have positive effects on their development. I don't know though if they did that to me or not.