Do you repair your kids toys?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 12, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We all live in homes where things break. But breakage seems to increase when their are little curious hands in The House. Do you think it saves money to try and repair the toys? If so, what do you use? I often use superglue but sometimes I wonder if this makes the toys unsafe for smaller children. One toy giraffe for example recently broke again for the 4th time - and I am wondering if it isn't dangerous to have that little head that looks like a candy possibly laying around the house. What do you think? Is it worth it to try and salvage broken toys, or is it better to be safe and just buy new ones?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it is repairable, there's no reason why you shouldn't try that. The issue though is, super glue will only keep the toy together for a very short time. Once the kid slams the kid on the floor two or three times, whatever you fixed will come loose again. And you'd have to do it again . . . and again. Eventually the cost of repair will add up. For such toys it's much better to repair once or twice and then replace them.

Stuffed toys though are an entirely different matter. You can not only stitch them up [if seams burst] but can re-purpose them into something entirely different and the kid may actually believe you got them a new toy.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I don't normally repair the kids toys but in a few cases we have too. They each have favorites and if something happens to one of them it's a tragedy!!! ;) So we fix! I have mended many stuffed animals and glued many favorite toys over the years. If it works then all is well, if not we try to explain and hope that a toy that is similar will do the trick. :)

I love being a parent!!!! :)

4. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I have worked with kids for a long time and they are very hard on toys. I think it is a fine balance between buying cheaper toys that are more disposable and quality toys that will last longer. When toys break, rather than just fix them myself I often start getting the kids to fix them. It is so rewarding for them, even just to try and fail is important. I find it also makes them more resourceful and less likely to accidentally break their toys.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My dad makes sure that until a toy can be repaired, he does it. I buy my nephews toys all the time, and they are notorious when it comes to breaking them. Repairing them is something that I encourage because toys are very expensive!

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    If I can repair it I will. I certainly has especially expensive ones like the electronic toy which they have to press a button and it plays a music. My kid seem to intentionally drop and throw these toys everywhere just when the toy gets too lame for her.