Do You Reuse Containers?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by remnant • Aug 20, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Some products are packaged in attractive and durable containers which can have myriads of uses like office stationary holders and even store detergents. These containers add an attractive ambience to the room and save one from having to buy other containers for decoration and store household necessities. Which container brands do you use?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I save and re-use some containers; but most of the ones that I save are glass jars. So many things come in plastic nowdays, and I do save some of the plastic containers as well, when they are a good size for me to use for storing food in. Gallon size jars are also something that I save and use for storage, and they are perfect for dry food items like dry beans, rice, and even pasta.
    It seems like it costs a lot to buy sets of plastic storage containers, even the ones that are considered to be disposable ones, and the ones which are designed to last longer are even more expensive. However, sometimes, I need a storage container with a certain size or shape, and buying it is the best way to get what I need.
    Often times, I can find used tupperware containers at the thrift store, so that is another way of getting a cheap storage utensil.

3. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Yes I have been known to do this. Even empty butter or sour cream containers. Once you wash it and let it dry, you can use rubbing alcohol and tissue and remove all the writing and design on the container, and make it plain so you can redecorate it.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also reuse containers especially the ones that have unique designs. I use containers from spreads and condiments for storing small items from the kitchen to the living room. I also store up on ice cream containers because whenever we would have a family get together at home or we invite friends to the house for dinner, I would usually let them take home some of the food I prepared. The ice cream containers come in handy for these. :)

5. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    All of my containers are great value, and I love them because they are useful just the same way as all the name brand ones are. The real difference that I only notice is that some brands have different designs, and that's not a big deal unless that's what I'm looking for.

The food that I buy that comes in containers, I keep those and use them to put zip lock food in the fridge even though I don't need to. I use them for other things as well.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Of course I do, and I would like to think that it is saving my a bundle in the process. I always try to reuse the butter containers and things of that nature (usually whatever comes with a lid) and they work perfectly as sort of temporary tupperware. I do not make them last that long, which is the good part though because I am always having fresh replacements. Great for soups, which is mainly where I use them. Thanks for sharing.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I find that some containers are durable enough to store food in the fridge or to store some kitchen supplies. Those large tub containers in which some some of the spreads are packaged are are good example of this situation and I usually utilize these containers if I may need to.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I save quite a few of the plastic containers I get as packaging to put left over food items in. The plastic containers that you sometimes buy lunch meat in come in handy for taking meal items to work in that need to be reheated. I also save glass marinara jars for putting crafts supplies and small nails, acres, and bolts in. Saves me a lot of money in the long run.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can bet on that - we have lots of used containers in our stock room, be it bottles, jars, plastic or glass that come in different sizes and colors that includes plastic food containers. They say I am a pack rat because I try to save everything that can be stored. In fact, we do not throw away cartons and boxes for it can have some use later on. With the cute bottles, I sometimes use it as a flower vase but my husband called my attention about it - the tall bottle tends to fall down with the impact of the electric fan's air.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There isn't much I buy in containers and if I do, it will be glass. I try not to buy plastic anything. Glass can be reused or recycled easily. Plastic is such a nuisance.

11. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Whenever I purchase anything that is in a plastic container, I definitely reuse them. I'm an avid gardener, so I use the majority of my containers to start vegetables in. I purchase more things in glass and reuse my glass jars too!

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my favorites to reuse is the Hillshire deli containers so durable and perfect sizes for storing other foods. When I was younger there were peanut butter glass jars that doubles as measuring cups we still have one till this very day! We reuse most everything like Ziploc bags we wash and reuse until the zipper breaks.:D

13. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I have a habit to store and reuse neutral plastic containers and plastic bags. Is pretty convenient to have some spare sturdy storage recipients at hand, I never have the need to buy new ones unless for something really specific.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a juice jar that is just right to use as a water pitcher for my plants. I save the glass jars my instant coffee comes in to save uncooked pasta or small beans that we get some times. I really do not like those plastic bags that take up space, I put them in the glass jars.

15. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I like to reuse pop bottles as water bottles until they get to munched up and then I'll recycle them. I will reuse food containers from glass jars to plastic containers, even the metal tea cans. I use the metal tea cans to hold my charcoal. The other jars get used for everything. I don't tend to reuse soap or detergent containers unless I'm going to use them to store the same kind of thing in it. You have to be careful with plastic and having toxic things in a container you used for food because it's porous. But I have a windex spray bottle that has to be almost ten years old.

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do save the glass containers, and reuse those; but it seems like most things are put into plastic containers nowdays. One of the main things that annoys me is the tiny difference in sizes. One lid will look like it should fit the container, and it is just a fraction of an inch too small or large; so if you do not save each individual container with its lid intact, then you have to go through everything until you find the right size lids and containers. Usually, there will be every size of lid but the one that I need.
    I was just able to get a set of 10 plastic storage containers that are like a small dinner plate,and they all stack with the lids on top in a stack.
    I am going to go through the miscellaneous sized containers and start throwing away anything that I can not find a lid to, and just get sets instead.
    I got it from the Amazon Review site; so it was only 99 cents for the whole set of 10 dishes and lids. You cannot beat that ! !

17. Aleece13

Aleece13New Member

Threads:
    I re-use most some of my containers. It's way cheaper then buying the products and though I just use them the way they are it would be easy to decorate them. I keep large juice bottles to make kool-aid or tea. Butter containers are great for taking food to family cookouts and I always keep glass jars. They are perfect for oil or storing small things like headbands and paper clips. :D

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I tend to reuse containers. I mostly use them as storage containers for foods I have cooked. However, sometimes I will put other things in them. I have a large plastic jar I am saving now. I think I am going to put dry herbs in them. I generally will only throw out containers if I can't find the lids to them, or I can't think of anything to use them for.

19. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse containers, cans, boxes, paper and plastic bags. and wrapping paper. When I buy something and it is in a container (plastic, glass or tin) I don't throw it away, I reuse it by storing things. If the container is big,I use it as waste basket or dustbin. In case the container is small, I use it store store various things.I reuse wrapping paper to wrap things that I send to others. I always try to reuse and minimize waste.

20. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    All the time. Rinse and reuse is something that I try to really pride myself on, and I would like to think that I have gotten pretty good at it over the years. I am really good about reusing bags, and coffee cans have been turned into a lot of interesting things. It also helps that I used to work with kids, so there were a lot of craft opportunities there. Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.