Do you shop at a $1 store?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by crackerjack9 • Jan 12, 2015.

1. crackerjack9

crackerjack9New Member

Threads:
    I shop at least once a month at my local $1 store. I think it has some unbeatable bargains! I don't like the cleaners there because I find that they don't seem to work as well, but I always stock up on sandwich bags, trash bags, gift bags, wrapping paper, paper towels and stuff like that. I also buy a lot of my granola and trail mix there as it can be quite expensive and it's always been fresh and tasty. Oh, and food storage containers...I'm always leaving them behind or losing the Lids, so I can cheaply replace those there as well. I've even noticed more brand name items being stocked.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses their local dollar store on a regular basis?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a dollar store but I have been to the equivalents in the UK, the pound stores: Poundland and so on. There's still a bit of snobbery about going into them but people are increasingly realizing that there is so much value to be had from these types of shops. They sell similar types of products to dollar stores, and the sooner people appreciate what they have to offer, the sooner they can save money.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also do quite a bit of snooping around in Pound shops for hidden gems. You'll be surprised what you can unearth. I mostly shop for cleaning materials, small tools and sometimes supplements. If they have known brand toiletries, I'll also buy them from there. I don't really buy food from there. Sometimes you can pick up some nice wrapping paper and stationary from there too. If you look closely, some of the cosmetics and toiletries bear unknown brands but then when you peel back the sticker it may reveal know and respected brands like Bodyshop :)! Pound shops're generally regarded as shops for paupers in the UK, but I don't mind being seen in one as they save me money. Sometimes I go in just to see what I can pick up.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I regularly go to the dollar or pound stores and love them. I can stock up on toiletries and stationary items. I do buy some food like snacks or noodles and pasta if they have them. There are more branded goods these days, so it's less of a risk. I tend to also buy cleaning products there because they do the same job, scourers and also laundry liquid. The candles seem to be good too and I can pick up some cheap baking trays and cookware there. I do keep an eye on the quality because like everything you have to check.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the dollar stores as much as I would like, certainly not on a regular basis, however I can assure you that if one was closer to me, I'd be there all the time. There is a store that is close by to me that calls itself a dollar store, but is not a "true" dollar store, their prices are all over the place.

There is a "Dollar Tree" that is one city over from me, not too far, but far enough to keep me from going there regularly. There is another "Dollar Tree" that is a few cities over, and that one is huge, with a large variety of so many things.
    I really need to make it a point to start going to the Dollar Tree more often. I love shopping in their stores. Any store that is a "true" dollar store, I'm all for it.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to Dollar Tree because everything there literally is $1 and some of their items, like the glassware and cleaning supplies are pretty nice. There's a dollar store near me that charges $1.39 and $2.49 and I think that's false advertising and the stuff is pretty crappy, so I don't go there anymore.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love Dollar Tree! I now buy certain things exclusively there from zip bags to glassware. I once went in a 99 cent store that was a total joke. Things that were a set of something like two or more items in a package were price according to how many pieces were in the pack. That store didn't last long.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I have shopped at dollar stores since I was a child and continue doing so to this day. I usually shop at Dollar General, Dollar Tree Store, or various dollar to cents stores nearby my house. Most of the things I purchase at these places are usually cheap items for parties, decorations, utensils, batteries, and daily things I need or want to help me get by. However, I never intend or think these stores offer or sell any products that will endure, most things there are for short duration or one time use.

9. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    There aren't many of those where I live, most of them started out at 38's (every last product was 38.000 ROL, our old currency) but most of them ended up being normal shops in time. Romanians have an aversion towards cheap things because it's usually associated with poor quality, but that never actually stopped them from purchasing said products.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at the dollar store, but I find that you have to be very conscientious, before with many of the items you get what you pay for in terms of quality. But for small things, like toiletries and such - that are priced quite highly in other shops - you can purchase clusters on them for very cheap prices. A dollar - or pound over in the UK - for each item. I do think that there are cons to this though, because items that wouldn't normally be a full pound are a pound in these shops and so you end up spending more than you might have elsewhere. It's a clever trick, to make people think that they are gaining when the possibility of spending more is more than likely.

11. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love the dollar store preferable the dollar tree which in my area has purchased all of the dollar store chains. In the dollar store I'm starting to notice that the same name brands as in a Walmart store etc. are available in the dollar store. I like that most of the items are 1 and that I can purchase quite a bit of name brand product at this price. Colgate toothpaste, spic and span cleaner, dawn dish washing , and tide yesterday for my laundry. just to name a few

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You just reminded me, Theo...It's amazing what fantastic stationary you can find there. I've even found some good books there! I remember once I'd left shopping for my Christmas cards too late and I was panicking as i couldn't find reasonably priced ones. I saw some I liked in Marks&Spencer, but they were a bit out of my budget. Guess what? I found exactly the same ones in Pound Stretcher :) I just couldn't believe my luck!

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually haven't been to a pond store - or dollar store, as they call it in America - for a long while. But my love for stores such as this has not lessened. You can get a lot of stuff and in bulk from these types of places. As I am sure that I have mentioned before, the only catch is that items that you wouldn't pay a dollar or pound for elsewhere are also a pounds or a dollar, so you lose out there.

14. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I use this store sometimes, but definitely not on a regular basis. These stores are not sellers of good quality products, and If I buy in there, it's only for presents for a birthday party, or for little children, not more than that.

15. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    When I was still living in the dorms at school I would go there so that I could get food. It was just easier to get snacks there because they were so cheap. I mean you can't go wrong with snacks that are dollar. I was able to save a lot of money going there because I wasn't spending $3+ on a snack.

16. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Store. I go there at least once a month and stock up on things I need. You can always find some great deals and you never leave there only spending a dollar. lol There are always new things every time I go there. It is an awesome place to shop.

17. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love our Daiso which is our version of the Dollar Store. It is mostly Japanese products so quality is surely good. We have bought our broom here and it held up for three years! Imagine that for just 2 dollars! So we bought another one when our old one broke lol.

18. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Occasionally but only for certain items. Often I think the dollar store is actually a rip off lol and people just fall for it because it's "only a dollar." Tha being said, I do go there for holiday decor because I don't have a lot of storage area in my house so at the end of the holiday I can just donate the items or toss them and not really care. I also like getting disposable pans there for roasting chicken or turkey.

19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Many people have concerns about quality found at one-dollar shops but, being honest, there are many good items for sale there, quality is acceptable and price unbeatable.

I go there at least once a month whether I need something or not. Sometimes I found things that I never thought to buy, but that have served me a lot when brought them home.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I only shop there for specific items, too, and I wouldn't say I go all that regularly. I only really go when I need something specific (like sunglasses or umbrellas) or if I run across one and think "oh, I haven't been in there in a while...I wonder if they have anything new?"