Do You Still Use Use A Traditional Calculator ?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by mbuzma • Jan 7, 2018.

1. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Do you still use a traditional electronic calculator in your office, or do you just perform calculations on your pc ?

I bought myself a calculator for like 10-15 $, a long time ago, and I still use it when doing math work. The reason is mainly that I'm so used to using it, that I find it faster to type math symbols and numbers on a calculator than on my office pc.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. When I am working with my laptop I used the app for calculator. When I am not using the computer, I may use my cellphone calculator. But if I find a regular calculator, I may also use it.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I usually use the computer or the mobile phone to use the calculator because it's more practical. I do believe that if we need to be calculating all the time that a traditional calculator with paper can still be more helpful, at least I see my colleagues from the Accounting service still using those.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I use my phone for calculations so I find no need for a calculator. Because of the advent of phones and other gadgets which have tended to replace the traditional calculator, their price has dropped and they are mostly used by learners in schools.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I sure do. I have a lot of annoying math to do at work and they happen to just have a bunch of them lying around, and I prefer it anyways to having to go with a phone or PC. I am not sure I would go buy one though if they did not provide it, but maybe.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm an accountant and I agree that the traditional calculator is still one of the tools of the trade. However, I only use the calculator to compute for something that involves two or three figures. I have one at the office issued by the company and another one at home for personal use. For more complicated calculations, I use the spreadsheet because it lets me check and change the figures entered easily if I need to. I don't use the calculator app of my PC at all. Outside the office and home, my phone's calculator app is usually enough.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I still use traditional calculator. During my engineering days we had this modified scientific calculator which is lasting me longer than anything. It has some really good features. And it seems to be good enough on that part. You can see that calculator has it's set of the limitations in that case. And traditional calculator requires some level of good usages.

8. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Seriously, traditional calculators? I never saw that one coming :D. But in answering your question, I still make use of the one I got far back which is still in a good working condition. I have no reason to go and buy a new one since the old one works perfectly fine. Although lately, I make more use of my android phone calculator than the traditional calculator.

9. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    In the organization I used to work with in 2016, everyone used a traditional calculator. All the work there is done manually although they should have updated their systems by now. I liked using the traditional calculator because it made the work easier.

They also used excel to compute more figures at once.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I can't being to imagine how stressful and slow work would be for you people in that organization because we are more in advanced technology era, but your bosses are still stuck on using old outdated techs like traditional calculators. Anyways, I'm glad to hear that they make use of computer excel as well because it do helps well with keeping financial records very well.

11. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's mostly those market people that mainly uses traditional calculators because of the nature of their business and those they are dealing with. Offices do make use of calculators but it's just for formality sake, should the client feel like checking the figures of their business dealing himself or herself, a calculator would be dispatched for such purposes because I do believe most things are now with computer systems or even on phones. Personally, I mostly use phones for my calculations.

12. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that organization is called The National Treasury. It is one of the highly respected organizations in Kenya. Workers have suggested for the systems to be updated but seems like the managers are not willing. The work is extreme and tiring. It is just the type of work no one would want to do. I hope someone there will make the difference. I only worked there for less than a year.

Actually, the departments using excel are doing it to make work easier. It is not even the directors who suggested it. It was a personal choice.

13. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    The truth is that some these federal government agencies or ministries are being run into the ground by the officials in charge. It's not that there isn't fund to provide all the necessary tools and the needed resources to make the job easier for workers, they would simply pocket the fund and force the employees to suffer the consequences. This is not fair but there ain't anything one could do about it until someone with a distinct personality comes to power in such ministry and effect good change.