Do You Take Advantage Of Off-peak Times In Electricity Usage?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by luckycharm • Dec 18, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    In our country off-peak time for electricity usage is from 10 pm to 6 am. During that time cost of electricity is lower and we can save a lot of money on electricity bills. I usually take care of power hungry activities like ironing, washing etc during off-peak timings.

Also during peak times I try to minimize the electricity usage like switching off unnecessary lights, fans etc. Do you pay attention to peak and off-peak timings?

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, the peak/off peak program only applies to businesses or industrial users which have higher rates in the first place. The off peak hours are from 9pm to 8am from Mondays to Saturdays and longer on Sunday. This service requires a special meter and registration for those who want to avail.

For household accounts, the major electricity provider implements a subsidy program called lifeline discount for those who are consuming less than 100 watts per month. This subsidy is cross-charged to other households consuming 100 kwh and above. The discount, at around 25%, is substantial. Hence, the battle is to keep the consumption below the said level.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I live in small city and it is not very obvious for us the off peak usage of electricity. Well, as what you have observed for that particular time like 10:00 pm to 6:00 am in any place or country for that matter would be considered as electricity peak off usage in which most of the people, the workers are already on their home except for some exception of course.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not aware of this off-peak hours for electricity but I have read about it one time although it did not occur to me that we can save money in observing such period. From what I remember, the off-peak hours of electricity in our country is from midnight to dawn. Let’s take for example the ironing of clothes which consume a lot of electricity. If we do the ironing in those off-peak hours then how much do we save on the electric bill? Our air conditioner runs at night when we sleep so that means we save on electricity?

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    As far as I know, the tariff in our state does not change based on the hours for domestic users. However, the usage is definitely less during a particular time, so we get a better voltage. The power fluctuations are also lesser after 10.00 pm. So, I schedule many of the high-grosser activities during that time.

6. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    In our country there are no off-peak times for electricity :(. The only way we save electricity is turning off any devices that are not in use or avoiding using them completely.