Do You Think Cellphones Make People More Unsociable?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by sunnyside • Apr 16, 2016.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on the side that cell and smarphones don't make people anti-social. Why, because it helps people keep conncected to one another more than not having a cell of some kind. Smartphones and cells keeps people safer for they can get in touch when stuck per se in places and need emergency help, works like those necklace or wrist bands with the help with a push of a button, all you got to is press 4 buttons, on then 911. People can get in touch with their finger tips with anyone they choose to get in touch with, so I believe having a cell or smartphone makes people more sociable.

2. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I use my smartphone to call, SMS and receive my work related emails. And for nothing else. I don't have messenger or any social website there. In total I have 3 applications on it ONLY.
    Why?
    Because I only work online, I don't use the internet to any other purpose and I don't need it when I go outside of my house. I don't need to toy with it when I go shopping or talking with people in my free time.
    Yes, I think that technology including the smartphones can make people really dumb, but it takes a person to behave like that.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I think cellphones are made to extend our social communications since we can talk to our friends and loved ones even though they are too far from us. I can't say that it makes us anti-social since we still interact when we use our cellphones, although not physically. In most cases, smartphones does not make us anti-social but ourselves. I believe that it always depends on a person on how s/he will use the modern technology and if it will bring him/her closer to people or not.

4. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that our cellphone is making us unsociable. The main reason why people always using their phone is they are communicating to someone. It's either using SMS or using their preferred social media platform, they will surely interact with other people. Some may still use their phone even they are already surrounded with actual people is because they are talking to someone dear to them on the phone. So smart phones is actually maximising our way to reach out other people, and not as being unsocial.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    The fault is not of the smartphones. People are themselves to blame for this isolation and lack of social interaction (I mean the real face-to-face contact).

Technology doesn't dictate the way of things, but rather the one who created them.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Cell phone is a very important tool for communication and socialization in the world today. The kind of ease it gives to life and interactions today can never be overemphasized. There are several fields I believe it has helped improved its horizon, fields such as communication, trading, schools, traveling and a lot more.

Without the invention of cell phones today, I wonder what the world would look like in terms of communication today. So I believe it has been a good addition in man's life today in helping him achieve a lot things easier now compared to before.

We all know that everything in this life gets abused by its users once in a while. Most times in families is where I believe cell phones usage are being abused. This is actually because of its access to internet, teenagers tend to allocate all their time, energy and focus in pressing phones, even to the extent of neglecting to do the things or fulfill the task set aside for them to do by their parents. This is the most reoccurring way I believe cell phones are being abused.

7. butterflow

butterflowNew Member

Threads:
    Although I do agree that cell phones have made most people a lot more unsociable than before, I agree with you that, on the other hand, they have made some people a lot more sociable. I too am more in contact with friends through social media and, having family abroad, I find that lots of today's social apps have definitely made it easier to keep in touch with loved ones.

8. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    It I think it all depends on the circumstances you make use of the cellphone. The cellphone itself is a social tool but could be really distracting for some people.