Do You Think The As Seen On Tv Things Are Junky?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by dashboardc33 • Jan 6, 2016.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    All of the as seen on tv things that I have seen or purchased have been junky and I am not impressed with them. I"m wondering if they are just the things that I have bought or if others have similar luck with things that they get. I feel like there is so much hype with these items but they break easily or just don't work like they are supposed to.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think those products are not very good and are over hyped. I certianly wouldn't buy them from the TV because the shipping on these things are awful. I jus think that the products are not worth the shipping costs at all. They are way too much.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had wanted to try Jeggings as seen on tv but my husband reminded me that home shopping tv products are not what the really claim, more are fake in quality. Once we tried the car wax that didn't shine our car albeit it took away the gloss of our shiny car. And there's the food supplement that can make you grow tall by 4 inches, huh. Well, it's better to shop in person than online particularly the home shopping in tv.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've has several bad experiences and some things just look strange. The things I've seen recently include a recliner cover that heats up and cools off. Then they say the user can use this to wrap up their body. Where do they really get that kind of fabric?

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I once bought a product because of the very convincing way they demonstrated on TV. I was younger and so conscious about my body figure at that time so when I saw a product that they claimed could make one slimmer by just massaging it on the body part you want to slim down a couple of times a day I immediately went to their store and bought one. Sadly, I wasn't satisfied with the result because nothing happened at all after a month of sing it. Sometimes the things they say on their TV promotions are overrated.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think all of them are junky but you do really have to be picky. For the most part I think I would just consider these mostly as just novelty items. I have come across a few products that I think would be great to have but unfortunately none of them are sold in my country so I am not able to test them out, but generally speaking I do think most of these products are kind of shoddily made with a few exceptions. I think over the recent years they have gotten a bit better though and some companies that sell these do come up with some very innovative items.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I think that there is some sort of inner desire within all of us to want to believe that these items are some reason better than others or that they are exclusive deals, when really they tend to be unproven products that can be a hit or miss. I am sure that there are some good ones out there, and I remember hearing that OxiClean was a good one, but there are those out there that are busts too of course. Those are the ones that might get the most attention.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad bought a mop and a flashlight on tv and they did last several years, so I would say that conventional products are ok to buy in home tv shopping. The novelty products are the ones that you should be cautious in buying because they are usually overhyped.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The product quality can vary widely. For example, the "Ninja" line of kitchen and cleaning products are of relatively good quality based on what I've heard from friends who have purchased them. Another item that comes to mind is the Kitchen King Pro, which is a manual food processor, that I was given by my parents. They ordered it online for themselves, and their order got screwed up, so they sent them three of them to make up for the mistake, so my folks gave me one of them. It's really well constructed and works like a charm - I've been using mine for nearly 5 years now.

However some products we've tried, such as the "green" non stick pans and that cloth garden hose which coils up into a really compact size, were both duds. The "green" non stick pans lost their non stick properties really quickly and food started sticking to them like crazy - even with oil and cooking spray. The hoses all burst within a few weeks of using them.

10. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    I am not huge on "As Seen on TV" products. We have a store in our local mall that is all about these products. When I go and walk in there, they are just over priced stuffed animals and gadgets that I can pick up at another store for much cheaper. My mom has purchased some things from the store (such as those snackeez containers), but I have not. Not many of the products are that great. I have seen some that are ok, but not worth the amount of money those stores charge.

11. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I wanted to write a couple of thoughts on this topic real quick. First, As Seen on TV isn't just a brand, but they are kind of cool and inventive ways to accomplish a task at hand. You have those brownie pans, snuggies and my personal favorite is this magnet that's actually pretty strong and I can get things that fall with ease.

With that said, there's a number of products that I like the idea of and tried and they weren't very good. The hose that is very small and then extends when water is added is one I'm thinking of. Its such a good idea, a big time space saver, but the construction of it was so cheap that it broke shortly after purchase.

My wife has used a neck warming product that she's had for years and its still going. You just need to do your research because I think this brand is seriously full of products going from great to terrible on the same shelf, during the same year of production!

12. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. I think most of the time you can tell the junk from the real items that would at least be useful. For example, the snuggie is pretty comfy. I won't lie I have a pedegg and that thing is amazing! Makes my feet so smooth, though, my only complaint would be it dulls over time. Also, don't laugh, the shake weight works out your arm even if it is awkward.

But I have seen things that have had friends try things that they completely regretted. Like the diamond non-stick pans that are suppose to never allow food to stick do not hold up much better than dollar store pans. Some of the health items I would be super skeptical of as well.

What I do if I want to buy something is I look up and see the reviews. Because if it has been on the television you know someone has bought it. That way you know what you are getting into before making a purchase.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think many of the As Seen On TV products are junky. Like there was a waffle iron type thing that had different inserts, so that supposedly you could make everything from brownies to omelets in it. Well, I see a lot of those at Goodwill with the nonstick coating flaked off. So obviously that's one of the bad ones. I do like my Snuggie and my Ninja Master Prep so I think the key is just to do your online research and check out the item in person at the As Seen On TV section of Walmart. My local Walmart has these items in a section next to the cigarette counter.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of them sound really good, but I always think about the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true." So, I've never really been that tempted to buy the stuff.

Besides, if you wait a while, you'll usually see a knock-off version in your favorite dollar store before too long. Well, first you'll probably see it in Dollar General or Walmart for like ten bucks, but eventually, you'll see a lot of that stuff in the real dollar stores like Dollar Tree for a buck.

Most of it isn't anything I really just have to have, so I'll wait. One thing I'd like to try is a Crea Clip, and I haven't seen any of those yet, so I'll probably grab a knock-off version from Amazon.

15. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Marketers tend to exaggerate the salient qualities of their products in order to generate sales. Even the packaging of the product in most cases is designed to trick the eyes and they spare no cost to ensure that. The cost is of course borne by the customer. However, it requires experience, an analytical mind and curiosity to determine whether the product is junky or not because some of the products are in reality, high performing and genuine.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Marketers tend to exaggerate the salient qualities of their products in order to generate sales. Even the packaging of the product in most cases is designed to trick the eyes and they spare no cost to ensure that. The cost is of course borne by the customer. However, it requires experience, an analytical mind and curiosity to determine whether the product is junky or not because some of the products are in reality, high performing and genuine.

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! They are super junky. they are all manufactured in China and half of the things do not work. I don't even know how they still do business because they overprice their items and they don't work at all. I wish more people would do a class action lawsuit against them.

18. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have a bit of a mixed opinion when it comes to the As Seen On TV products. I think that they fall into two categories, and I am probably wrong but this is just what it feels like to me. It seems that the products are either home runs and they are everything that they are supposed to be, and then the other ones that are nowhere close. Those ones I can see being described as junky, and I think it is pretty accurate. Depending on your level of anger or frustration you can probably think of some other adjectives as well.

19. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought quite a few "as seen on tv" items. Some of the items did not perform as shown on TV, however, most of the products was as good as shown on TV, I am quite impressed with most of the items I bought. Even though I don't have any bad experience with these products, I am not buying a lot of "as seen on TV" products because they are very costly.

20. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I love the Ninja kitchen system and the Ped Egg! George Forman grills are actually pretty nifty. No, I don't think it is all junk. Even the more kitche or campy novelty items make awesome choices for white elephant parties or gag gifts. It is fun to watch youtube videos of people reviewing items seen on tv. One of my favorites to watch is grav3yardgirl's series called "Does This Thing Work?" She has such an energetic personality, and her reviews are not only useful but highly entertaining.