Do you think watching the movies in the theatres is worth it?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by akiii123 • Aug 27, 2014.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Movies are now expensive in the theaters. The movie ticket for 2 is equivalent to the cost of an original dvd. It is like saying we just buy a dvd instead of going to the theater. But no, we prefer the theater because of the ambiance and the so called sensurround. Besides, being in the theater means we would eat out afterwards and sometimes there is time left for shopping.

2. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I know this is silly, but the last time I went to a movie theatre I was with a friend. We'd go every Tuesday when the price for seniors was much lower. My friend liked to sit up close to the screen, and in an aisle seat.

While watching the movie "Life of Pi", my attention was turned towards someone walking into the theatre where the Exit sign was. This is a place where you go OUT, not in!

The person walked up a few seats in the aisle, then turned around and walked out through the Exit, then a few minutes later came inside the theatre again. I had a really bad feeling.

I didn't say anything to my friend, but it was the last time I felt comfortable in a darkened movie theatre because of the incident in July 2012, a mass shooting occurred inside of a Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colorado. And, so I've never gone into a darkened theatre ever since. Don't know if I ever will again.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well for some movies it is. You just can't get the same effect at home no matter how big your screen is. Also, I think all of us spend enough time at home. It is good just to get out of the house once in awhile. I am low on cash though so I don't go to the movies often. I wish I could, I used to like to go to movies once a week, but it is a long drive to go to the movies from here as well.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a theater in years. I always say that I want to go but haven't gone yet. I enjoy action movies in the theater as someone mentioned you can't get a better experience from the effects than at a theater. For me it would be 'a night out' that was well planned by having the extra money for the concession stand.

5. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I only go to the movies if I really want to see the movie. If it's something I want to see but don't know if it's truly worth the money then I'll wait for it to come out at Redbox. Some movies are very worth going to the movies for because you can't get that same experience at home.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will say that going to the cinema and watching a movie is always a great experience unless you are sat next to people who are giggling, or people who are kicking the back of your chair. But is the experience really worth the prices that they charge for the tickets and the food? No, not at all. I would much rather stay at home and watch a movie.

7. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I am definitely the same way! I always prefer watching the movie at home over the theater any day. It isn't good for me to be there anyways. I LOVE to talk A LOT during a movie. Another thing on top of that is, I am not a very good whisperer. I feel like I would get shushed ALOT haha. I love that I can rewind things at home, fully enjoy the movie when I miss something. At home I can eat whatever, use the bathroom whenever, all with the beauty of the pause button. I am a person who has to replay over and over to fully understand what is going on. So yeah it is definitely best for me to stay home and watch the movie...

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    Sometimes it is just nice to get out of the house, you know? And one of the most low key, relaxing, ways to do that is to go tot he cinema, I have found. But the prices are just way too steep, especially when you can download most movies online for free, and pop to the shop to buy some reasonably priced snacks from your local.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is so expensive to go to the cinema with the family these days, that most theatres have created a family ticket, where a certain number of people will be able to go in together for a set price. My mother took my three younger siblings as well as my nephew to the cinema the other day, and the entire price was cheaper overall when purchasing a family ticket. It came to about £50, which I thought was still very expensive.

10. TheLovingLeah

Threads:
    I do love to get out of the house. It is definitely relaxing! But it is never to the cinema. I wouldn't understand the movie so well without the replay, and the pause button. Yeah most movies are free online. I prefer TV shows or Anime though.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. I prefer to spend most of my time at home relaxing. But it is nice to change things up every now and then, and the cinema can be fabulous for doing that. One of my friends has a home cinema entertainment room at their house though, so it would be better just to go there and evade the ridiculous prices that movie theaters impose. But obviously his house is not always available. Yes, there are definitely times where you will miss things when you are in a movie theatre, and a pause button would be ideal. But it is not possible. There is so much more control and comfort when you are at home.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely watch movies at the movie theater, due to the extreme price of the movie tickets and concessions. Waiting until the movie comes out on DVD saves a lot of money, especially when there are free Redbox rental promo codes available online often. Also, my local library offers free DVD rentals, and they obtain new releases as movies come out on DVD or blueray. Furthermore, I like having the option to pause the movie in case of an interruption or bathroom break, and you do not have that option in the theater.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm kinda small.. so even when Bilbo sits in front of me, I've lost my money's worth lol. Plus the cost of the "food" and the people chattering.. not really into it. It depends on the movie though. I think for action or movies you really really want to get into, it's awesome on the big screen. Especially if there's amazing scenery involved. But it's just as good at home if you're not trying to compare the two.. I never go anymore.

14. MrsE

MrsENew Member

Threads:
    We go once a week to the movies, we are part of the loyalty program and pay half price. The way to save money is by skipping the popcorn and the drinks, or sharing a small popcorn, it's hard to do at first but better for your wallet and your waist line. It's honestly such a huge stress reliever and nice bonding time. After the movie there is always something to discuss and you're much more relaxed. We also escape to the movies for the air-conditioning on terribly hot days!

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are movies worth watching in the theatres. Personally, we watch fantasy, action, or any movies with effects in the cinema. The rest, we just wait for them on HBO or Star Movies, lol. But I think those types of movies are very much enjoyed better on the big screen. You get the feel, the sounds and the graphics better when you watch it in the theatres. But of course, waiting for it on the cable channels is also good enough. Haha!

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy going to the movies, but can't justify the price of everything from the tickets right down to the snacks anymore. Money's a little tight and we have to watch every penny at the moment, so we don't bother anymore. We make do with watching stuff at home, and to be honest, we still enjoy it. It's way cheaper and we don't have to worry about getting there and back :)

17. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Well watching 3D movies may be worth it because 3D movies takes movies to a whole new level. We can't really watch 3D movies at home and expect it to be just as good as those shown in theatres. However, when it comes to normal movies, I believe that watching in theatres is not as cost efficient as it used to because I prefer watching movies from my home. That way, I can cook my own food, and sit on my sofa, and just be comfortable. Plus I can rewind whenever I want.

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Some movies are not worth watching on the big screen that's why i rarely go to the cinema nowadays. I normally just torrent movies and watch those big budget films with really good visuals in the cinema for instance like Jurassic Park, and i'm really stoked for Avatar 2, i'll surely be watching this movie in the cinema.

19. TheLovingLeah

Threads:
    Yeah me too! Oh wow SO lucky! A home cinema entertainment room inside of my house would be too great haha. Yeah definitely couldn't happen, but it would be funny though. No one in the room would get to watch the movie with everyone pausing. YES I love the control and comfort at home when watching stuff.

20. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Going to the movie theatre is so expensive. It costs our family of 4 close to $100 to go see a movie if we get snacks. I've taken to bringing in my own juice boxes and popcorn that I've popped at home to save money. It's quite outrageous what movie theatres charge for popcorn these days. The 3 times we've bought popcorn at the theatre it's been stale. We just put a nice home theatre in our basement and I don't think we'll be going to the theatre for a long time. I can enjoy Netflix in the comfort of my own home and save myself hundreds of dollars.