Do You Wait Until The Winter Starts Before You Use Your Heat?

Discussion in Heating started by littlewitch66 • Sep 19, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My sister will not switch her heat on until we are well into the cold weather. Sometimes I have gone round and her place is too cold to stay there. She just puts extra layers on. She won't switch her heat on until it is officially winter time to save money.

I have a child in The House so I have to make sure it is warm enough so I put it on as soon as I feel a chill in the air. When do you switch yours on?

2. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I am doing the same thing, I wait until the cold weather comes and after that, I turn on the heat. It is no use to turn it on earlier, I save around 100 dollars a week if the eat is turned off. I hope this winter will not be that cold and we can turn on the heat late in November!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I put the heating on as soon as I need to, but switch it just before I leave the house or during the day. I tend to have it on first thing in the morning and then just before I go to sleep. I know it can be costly, but getting ill is costly too and when that happens you have to put on the heat to get better, so you don't really help yourself by getting ill do you?

We have economy 7 so it's cheaper at certain times of the day, but sometimes you just have to put the heat on and then cut back on a few things to pay for the bills. I find a hot water bottle is a good alternative if you are sitting down somewhere and a nice fleece blanket.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our winter here is not as harsh as in the US but it gets cold that it is difficult to take a bath. We have no room heater and our recourse during the cold season is a hot shower or heated water. And since we don’t have hot shower, we use a kettle to heat water on the stove. Yeah, we use a bucket for taking a bath during the cold months of December and January. Installing a hot shower is expensive not to mention the cost of electricity that it will consume - this is based on our survey with friends who have a hot shower.