Do you wash your car yourself?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Denis Hard • May 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having someone wash you car could set you back $15 at the minimum. If you had to get your car washed once every week, at the end of the month you'd have spent about $60 which you could have saved easily by washing your car in your free time [in the evening] because it won't take you more than one hour.

If you have a kid you could use the argument "washing a car builds character" to get him/her to improve himself/herself whilst saving you a bit of cash.

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I would never wash my car once a week for starters. My vehicle gets washed a couple of times a year. I always do it myself when I am able to do so. Unfortunately there is no place to wash a vehicle at my residence so my options are limited. I either wash it when I am visiting my parents in the spring/summer and use their driveway or I have to take it in to be washed. I agree that taking it in is expensive but I would only do that once a year at best.

Washing the car and mowing the lawn builds character? I have heard that line and I still don't believe it.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love to wash my car myself, I am so picky when it come to my personal stuff. I like to make sure that I dont have any spots on my car and I hate to get my car detailed like with a past experience and my tires were not cleans. I was very upset and paid 35 for nothing cause the guy delivered my car back to the parking lot and let the keys on the tire like he suppose to but my car was not clean far as the tires.

4. sully3333

sully3333Member

Threads:
    It's definitely worth washing my car by hand. Automated car washes never get all of the grime off, and it always looks cleaner when washed by hand. The only time I go through the car was is during the winter to clean the underbody of salt.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wouldn't wash mine once a week either, whether it's handwashed or using a carwash....

As for me, I don't use automatic carwashes ever. I do sometimes use the carwash itself to handwash my car instead of doing it in my yard, though. It's a lot more efficient to pay for the car wash options and power washer than it is to use my garden house.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I did! Sadly I live in a condo and they don't allow us to wash cars here, as the water is divided by all and included in the rent it's forbidden to wash anything outside. I would much rather be able to wash my car at home... I pay 20 bucks to wash it at the car wash, and they never do as good a job.

7. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always wash my car myself. You don't find many car washes here in Ireland, so I don't have much choice. You can find a few in big cities like Dublin, but not many were I live, so me and my daughter always wash it at the weekend. I don't mind doing it these days, we tend to have lots of fun :). Once a month I tend to take a trip up to Dublin and get it waxed also.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We rarely pay to have our car washed and most times we do it ourselves. Let's say we have a wedding to attend and didn't have enough time to wash the car - we go to a car-wash to clean it. And that's it, the only time we pay for this task. Having your kids do the washing is another great way to save some cash on cleaning the car. Better give them the money and build some character, like Denis already said.

9. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not wash my car myself but my boyfriend does it for me. Where I live, a car wash can cost up to 20 dollars a wash. I save money by letting my boyfriend do it for free. He cleans i way better then the car washers do because he takes his time.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I don't trust anyone else to wash my car. I guess it also because it was drilled into me since I was young and helping my dad wash cars that you should always wash your car yourself and there's a certain method and way to do so. I like to take pride in my car looking nice and washing it is one way to do so. Getting your car wash just seems like an unnecessary waste of money.

11. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Most people I know wash their car themselves at home during weekend. It is the same with all my family members who have cars. I don't really see the point of sending the car to a car wash to get it cleaned if the owner has enough spare time to do it himself.

12. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I wash my car when I am at my villa. When I am in the city I pay someone to wash my car. It is very cheap and I don't think it's worth the embarrassment and all the dirt. I don't have a garden so even if I wanted to wash my car I don't think it's possible.

13. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    As a kid, my dad did use the "building character" excuse to get me to wash the car, but he would do it with me and we got to bond and I learned how to do it right. Now, I enjoy washing the car because it's a decent workout and it comes out better than most car washes do, and it costs nothing but some time.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I do, because I actually find it very relaxing and satisfying. I cleaned my uncle's car with him when I was a kid, and I found it to be a fun activity then too. Also, I think it provides me an opportunity to move as well, which I tend to take advantage of because I feel as though I don't move enough due to my work requiring me to be in front of a computer most of the day. My only problem with this is that sometimes I don't have that much energy or feel too lazy to clean my car so it ends up being kept dirty for longer periods of time than I'd like, but it mostly works for me since having a clean car is not such a top priority of mine anyway.

15. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    On occasion - then, after messing up the job, I go to a car wash. :p

For whatever reason, I am HORRIBLE at washing my own car. I either soap up the exterior too much or too little. The only thing I excel at in this arena is detailing the interior. Yes - I can make the inside of car shine, but the outside will always be a mess unless I get help.

16. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love washing my car the regular basis. The first car I ever had I would wash pretty much every single weekend. There was a certain bond that you get by washing your own car. As time went by I found it a bit more difficult to find time to wash my car consistently. There was a local car wash in my neighborhood that opened up which did a pretty good job. I tried them a few times and eventually I ended up switching to using their services. I wash my car at least twice a week but it's a bit of a luxury that I can afford so I don't mind doing that at the car wash.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Washing my car is a once a month activity that I do myself if the weather permits. It is good exercise. Using a car wash service can be a little costly. A good shine is important to me, I still like the wax on rub off activity instead of a liquid poured onto the vehicle.

18. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I wash my car myself. So does my husband. I bought him a car cleaning kit for his last birthday, because he has a sports car and loves taking care of it. Regardless, before I got him that he did that anyway. Not to mention it is so much cheaper. Our apartment has designated areas to wash our cars so it is really nice.

19. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Once every few months is enough in my opinion.

I usually give it for a car wash because it gets pretty dirty by then,
    and I can make use of the time for better things.

20. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the third world where I am from, it is cheaper to have our car washed at the carwash since it only costs $3 US dollars. This includes vacuuming of the interiors already. It would be a waste of water if my husband would do it at home, plus of course the dirt he has to clean up after. Also, the carwash has its own free wi-fi so yeah, we are better off having it washed somewhere else. Although at times, my husband likes waxing his car to a shiny finish once in a while.