Does Anybody Use Freedom Pop?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by nickjt • May 20, 2014.

1. nickjt

nickjtNew Member

Threads:
    I have been reading about Freedompop recently, they are a cell phone network which charge you when you buy the phone but then it is free to use the phone after the initial purchase.

This sounds too good to be true, but the phone only really offers data access as you have to use their VOIP and texting apps.

Have any of you got experience using their network? How does it compare to a normal network?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used their mobile device through Swagbucks and they are terrible. They are only a free trial. In order to keep receiving access after the trial ends if you don't want to pay I think you have to do offers or something and you have a certain data limit. It is very slow too.

I've never bought their phone though so I can't say anything about that.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this site. Is it something offered through the US? And yeah, it does sound too good to be true when I first read your post and reading the second post I can see what the catch is. It's a good thing you asked about it before bothering with trying to use it.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had heard of them, but honestly, a cell phone is not something I would mess around with - especially when travelling, or if you get stuck on the side of the road and need to call for help, or have some other emergency. If I ever did get a phone like this, it would simply be a secondary phone, or as a backup I suppose. There used to be programs like this back in the day, for free internet access. One of them even gave you a free computer as long as you agreed to have ads displayed on there, but they didn't last very long.

I bought a prepaid phone several years ago, because my luggage (with my main phone in it) got lost on a flight back. I ended up keeping it as my backup phone because the battery on it would literally last for days, unlike my Motorola Droid at the time, which would barely make it through a day.

5. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    Okay, so there is likely a lot of misinformation as well as too much status-quo leaning going on here... close-mindedness is NOT your friend when attempting to save money... if you want to be broke like everyone else, do what everyone else does...

Buy a car for 40k that reduces in value by 10k the moment you drive it off the car lot, then another 10k by the end of the year, get a 30-year mortgage on a house that will cost you 3 times its value when you FINALLY pay it off, etc... just like everyone else does. And while you are living paycheck to paycheck, the guy down the street bought a nice used car for 3k then put 2k into making it look nicer, and it looks as good as your car... and depending on the model might even outlast it. He also rented a super-cheap place for a year or two to save money to put down a massive down-payment on his house, or, bought a POS house then lived in it and fixed it up a tiny bit then traded up to a nicer house and NEVER HAD A MORTGAGE PAYMENT. Then, he took the money that the other person wasted and invested it, and now owns outright a nice house, a nice car, and is earning interest on a 100,000 dollar portfolio with interest that covers a lot of the base costs of his necessities--utilities, food, et al. See the difference?

See where two people making the same income can either make swift, poorly-thought-out decisions that fit the status quo or could think things out and be wiser and 5-10 years later be in a FAR better situation? Some with phone/internet. Unless you use your phone like crazy and for super-important things, then it's not a big deal... even then it probably isn't that big of a deal.

So, I have had a FreedomPop phone for quite some time now. It works for what I need it for. I have unlimited data, call, and texts for 19.99. I live in the middle of nowhere... I have internet on me at all times; I pay less than the cheapest DSL but carry it with me at all times and get a free phone to go with it. I can stream YouTube vids and download huge files fairly quickly. In fact, with the apps I have running, it is PROFITABLE. For instance the PerkTV app can be ran for little more than overnight and the phone pays for itself.

This is one of the best things I have ever had. No contract, no installation fees, super-cheap, unlimited data wherever I go.

I could get a solar-panel backpack and tether to my Dell Venue tablet--that has full windows 8.1 on it--and have an entirely self-contained, money-PRODUCING office-on-the-go in less than a 12x12 inch space. I could make 20 bucks freelance writing in the middle of a field on a 5-acre field with no utilities and maybe make an additional 10-20 cents that day with passive income earning apps, such as slidejoy or mobile performance meter.

It runs on the SPRINT network which is practically ubiquitous.

The ONLY issue I have ever had is occasional choppyness during calls, but it is intermittent (sometimes I lose a sentence when talking to someone for a few minutes straight... meaning 5-10 seconds of talking is lost during a period of 5 minutes or more... not really a big deal). I also live in a semi-rural area with HUGE trees ALL AROUND ME. Even then, I STILL get download speeds comparable to a DSL line, that costs even MORE! (19.99 is the ACTUAL COST... whereas DSL from ATT is more like 21-25 dollars after taxes and whatnot).

If there are good reasons not to go with FreedomPop, they are few and far-between. In fact, I think everyone should ditch their home internet and tether to a phone. I see few reasons not to... especially when I'm posting on a forum called "dontpayfull."

"I had heard of them, but honestly, a cell phone is not something I would mess around with"

I don't mess around with mine either... I'm not a mechanic. I USE it.

I have no idea what you mean when you say a "normal network." It uses SPRINT. When you say slow, I have no idea what you are talking about. My pings were usually between 80 and 150 miliseconds. That means information is transferred back and forth at a response rate of about 10 times per second. I download things at anywhere from 100 to 200 kilobytes per second. It's not that it's "free" so much as it is "cheap." Something like 500 megs is the "free" amount of data. Why a person would complain about something that is free is beyond me...

Thanks for reading and have a great day! :D

#5Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015