Does Rain Make you Depressed?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by aimeep80 • Oct 15, 2014.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say for me it depends on where I live. When I lived in England, where it rains A LOT (especially in the North where I was), I got very low when it rained. At first it was kind of like a novelty, but it soon got very tired very quickly. It rains all through the seasons and what's worse, it's almost always accompanied by gale force winds. So you can forget using your umbrella. When you have to trudge through it for a long commute to work, arriving soaked to the bone, it's not so appealing. I know for a fact everybody in work hated the wet, grey days and immediately perked up when the sun came out. I used to hate it too; I felt low, felt dirty getting on public transport, everything just felt grimy and horrible.

On the other side of the coin; now that I live in Botswana, it's a totally different story. Botswana is a semi arid desert where it doesn't rain anywhere near as much as it does in the UK and we need rain. We wake up with the sun shining almost every day, and it gets very HOT. Now I find myself actually smiling when it rains....I love the earthy, organic smell and it cools the temperature down. I don't even mind wading through the rain, sometimes even feeling like doing a weird rain dance LOL

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really depressed. Just nostalgic and pensive. Although I admit it the gloomy atmosphere is hard to ignore, it's by no means intolerable. There are times when I long for the rainy days. There are also times when I'd rather see the sun. The rain does fuel my mood for writing. Anyway, it doesn't last so let it come when it does.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally love rain and cheer up when it rains, and take pics of rainbows. But lately rain does bother me because there's a sad song in an anime that reminds me of a tough time that I'm going through with my daughter. The song involves rain and a parent saying goodbye to their child. My daughter and I are temporarily living apart because we lost our apartment and our relatives don't have room for both of us.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, no! I am so sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it has to be heartbreaking for you to be separated from each other. I hope you can find something suitable soon that is also affordable and that you won't have to go through anything like this ever again!

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    If rain were to make me depressed, by now I should be contemplating suicide because it is now the monsoon season here and the rain has been falling for days. It comes down in heavy downpours. It comes down in drizzles. It stops a while to trick us into taking the clothes out to dry, so that it can make our clothes all wet again with a sudden shower.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Rain doesn't necessarily get me depressed, but on days like today when I have a lot I need to get don,e it's a pain to have the rain restricting my movements. Nothing will get done today in either of the gardens, and any ladies with unprocessed hair will appreciate this - I just flat ironed my hair for the first time in more months than I can remember, and I am not feeling getting my hair (or any of the rest of me) wet!

7. downsouth

downsouthMember

Threads:
    Not really no. I don't like getting wet from a random downpour and having to sit in the office with wet clothes but if rain is forecast and I can watch it from my office it doesn't affect my mood. If cloudiness lingers for a few days and there is no sunshine then I may feel a bit blue.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I can perfectly understand how one can get a little down after weeks of rain. I have been through many monsoon seasons which usually last between 3-4 months. I don't mind the rain so much, it's just the fungi and moulds that are sprouting everywhere that worry me. These days I try to avoid excessive climates whenever I can. If it's too damp, too hot, or too cold, I take a little holiday if I can. I don't like to be too affected by weather conditions.

9. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love the rain only when it falls during the night because i love listening to the sound of it hitting the roof and the rain helps me sleep like a baby. However when it's day time and it's raining it's really a big hassle to go about our day and i hate bringing an umbrella so i prefer rain at night. :)

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I can definitely struggle with weather. It's not so much the rain, though. It's the grayness of the sky at times. I struggle a bit when light is sucked out of my environment. That's why I don't live in rainy place at the moment.

11. MLNewkirk

MLNewkirkNew Member

Threads:
    Rain doesn't depress me but it does make me very sleepy. I don't know why, but I think it's because of the sound of rain drops. I have insomnia so I welcome the rain, which here in California, we don't get enough rain.

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    Makes me feel the opposite of tired and depressed. I feel energized and like I can do anything. I usually take my kids out when it's raining. I just love how everything feels very new and fresh.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I love when it rains because I get this feeling of nostalgia. In fact, I'm more of a rainy person than a sunny one mostly because of my skin asthma which induces breakouts when I sweat profusely. When it rains, I can't help but remember happy memories about my past, and I tend to look towards the future.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My typical response would be to say no, rain does not make me depressed. But with all of the rain that we have had over the last couple of months over here in the UK, I have really been missing the sun, and just being able to see sunny days. Literally almost every day has been either rain, or it has not been raining but the ground is wet, so it always feels dreary. For the first time in a long time, today, the sun was out nice and bright. It was still freezing though.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I miss going out in the rain and jumping in puddles and running around in the grass. The smell of country air while it rains is heaven! I guess how people feel about rain may have a lot to do with how they were raised to spend their time when it started to pour. Many kids were dragged inside to be bored. Or how their parents may have felt about it may have conditioned them. I was raised to play in it.. it was just another way to have fun. These days, I also appreciate what and why and how rain is and the beauty of it all. Earth is amazing :)

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    Come over here, and you will be in rainy heaven lol. I am about sick to my back tooth of how much rain we are getting. Mind you, now we have snow, but it still feels very much like rain when it is coming down from the sky lol. It is freezing too. The smell of nature can be lovely and nourishing. I suppose if you were in California though, you would be grateful for a bit of rain.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Yea, I heard it's been snowing or sleeting in some parts of Blighty. But the interesting thing's that temperatures have remained milder than usual for this time of the year. Or at least where my family are up in the North West (in Bolton). I used to really hate British weather, but out of everything, the thing that really got my goat was the blustery winds. I don't think I've ever experienced winds as strong! As if that wasn't enough, some days you got the wind with the rain, the umbrella became useless and I'd get soaked to the bone on the way in to work :( How have the winds been this year, DreekLass?

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh my God, the winds have been terrible. There have literally been times where I thought that I was going to be blown over, as I am only short lol. Thank God I have curves - something to keep me on the ground, although just barely. I remember last year though, we had snow, and it was so strong. I was using an umbrella at the time, and the winds turned it inside out violently. So I got snowed on heavily.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, you guys get a lot of rain lol. We get a lot too though, I still don't mind. It only really bothers me in the summer.. we get some pretty rainy summers sometimes, which absolutely sucks after a long grey winter.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it rains for days at a time I do get a little tired of it but mostly I enjoy the rain. It is cleaning the air and the ground when it rains. Rain feeds the birds and the plants, makes things greener and more appealing to the eye. I have lived in places where the rain was so heavy it was like looking thru a glazed window and it would rain like that for days.