Does Shopping Early Save You Money?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Sep 13, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the holidays on the horizon, many people have started their shopping. Some have been at it for a while already. Does shopping early really help you save money though, or do you just end up buying more that way?

For some, I'm sure it works well. If nothing else, it allows you to spread out the spending, so it's not a large chunk of money all at once. You can also take advantage of lots of sales, not just Black Friday and other holiday specific sales.

For me, I tend to end up spending more (overall) if I start too early. I pick up lots of cute things, and I'll think I'm done, but then I see so many more cute things later. This is especially true once the holiday sales begin.

I also find myself tempted to give the gifts out early. I can't wait, especially when it comes to the little ones. I want to give them their stuff now.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I start my Christmas shopping earlier than everyone else — right after Christmas so I definitely do get some great deals because stores at that time have to lower prices to get rid of Christmas season inventory.

So while shopping early does save me some money what I like most about is the fact that I don't need to spend too much in December.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, Christmas shopping depends whether early or late. I find it actually cheaper to buy Christmas items a week before Christmas. But for Christmas decorations, shopping in November or earlier would give you a good discount. The Christmas sale is what I am waiting for. It usually comes in early December and the discounts are pretty good especially for gift items like clothings, bags, etc.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can save you money, but it does save you time and stress which are priceless. I hate crowds, and then you have to price match places, and sometimes it will be cheaper, especially around Black Friday. Stores will also have flash sales, so it's hard to say if you will save money, but often when you do make a saving it requires time and mounds of patience.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you're organized and stick to a budget, shopping early can save you money. There are plenty of sales over the entire holiday season that deals can be found. It's important to remember though that the prices do tend to come down just before (and especially after) the holidays, when stores and other companies might be getting a bit nervous, especially if they have overstocked and certain items aren't selling well. Although there are some spectacular deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, that tend to be draws to bring in crowds, and the actual number of low priced items is usually limited, which is why some people camp out in the hope of obtaining them.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have started to think about Christmas shopping. I saw something I wanted to get the other day and bookmarked it. ALso, my sister's birthday is at the beginning of December as well, so I have another reason to shop. It seems like there are so many great deals that come out right before the holidays that I am tempted to wait for them.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the time and season of the year. For instance, here in the tropics where I hail from, gumboots are cheap during the hot season and prices increase during the rainy reason. The same case applies to books and stationery which are cheap during the end of the year holidays only to increase when schooling resumes in the new year.

8. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a strange attitude to seasonal shopping. For me, it's always a festive time when there's money in the pocket. I don't have to wait for a designated festival to buy something for my family. About the only thing which I have to buy in season are fruits. When I was in Thailand, we had fresh fruits the whole year round. However, we can't get the same fruits all the time. Each type of fruit has its own season. For example, to enjoy durian, we have to buy it when it's in season, from June to August.

So, do I buy at the beginning of the season or at the end? I found that buying it at the beginning of the season, I would have to pay more and I don't get the best fruits. Buying it at the end of the season is cheaper but the fruits are not that good anymore. So the best time to buy is somewhere in the middle of the season.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping early does save me money because I notice lots of deals for the things that I want, and when it's time for people to really buy out products you'd think that's when the businesses will make the products cheaper, but they don't. It's time for them to make money and they will raise the prices.

I like to find clearance deals, and shopping early on on a regular is when I find them.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    For me it definitely saves me money because I buy things in the sale and once I have what I want for someone it's rare I'll buy more things unless they specifically want something else. I tend to get things in clearance sales when I can rather than getting things full price so what I buy is better value for money in the first place as well, so if I do feel the need to buy something else at least I've not paid as much as I would have done had I bought the clearance things at full price.

11. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    There is another way of beating the seasonal buying stampede. This is by buying slowly all year round. Of course, this means that you have to keep in mind all the members of your family and friends who you want to buy presents for. Well, it's a good thing, isn't it? I mean, to keep them in mind the whole year round instead of only remembering when the festive season is upon you.