Donation to a college or travel fund instead of gifts?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by sinayat3 • Dec 9, 2012.

1. sinayat3

sinayat3New Member

Threads:
    My sister has always wanted everyone to donate to a college fund or a travel fund(for when he gets older) as well as a charity type organization instead of giving Christmas or birthday gifts for her child. Obviously he still gets lots of gifts and this is why they give people the other option as well. Would you consider donating to a college or travel fund instead of giving the usual gifts for Christmas and birthdays?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I absolutely would. I have never heard of travel fund before, but I think that's a great idea, too. College gets more and more expensive, so I'm not sure how much it really adds up these days. I do like the idea of giving something that will really be enjoyed and appreciated in the future, though.

3. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely consider donating to a college or travel fund. It sounds like an awesome idea. Reading about this makes me want to start something similar for my daughter.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I love to give to college or for a special trip. I would love it if my family did it for my kids, but everyone likes to see the look on a child's face when they open their gift. I get it, but being a parent has made me much more practical. I'll usually give whatever mom asks for.

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I would donate to a college fund, but not in lieu of gifts. Maybe a $20 gift and $20 to the college fund or something like that. I do think it's a little strange though for the mom to ask for that, unless the kid isn't old enough to understand the purpose of gifts.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    From the sounds of it, it's from a family that gets a bunch of gifts anyway. If some of them donate or put money into a fund, then it's not just a ton of commercial gifts that will be forgotten in a week or two and then donated away. That money can go into something special for later instead because there are plenty of physical gifts to go around anyway.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely would donate to a college fund. I'm a practically person and it's a practical request. I appreciate your sister's foresight.

8. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I totally get it, but you are only a child for so long. I remember being a kid and being SO excited to get my gifts on Christmas morning. I still get the same amount of gifts now that I'm an adult, but the pure joy and anticipation will never be had again. I wouldn't want to cheat my child out of that memory. So like I said, maybe tell people to spend LESS on a gift and put some into an account.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is an excellent idea and if more people did it more kids would be able to afford college. Children don't need a room full of toys, and even a little money can go a long way when several people participate. I think it is important to teach children about charitable giving, though I don't think a donation in a child's name instead of a gift is the best thing, especially with very young children. An education fund is essential, but I think a travel fund is something different.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's a fantastic idea and I would actually prefer that in many cases over material 'things' for a child....everyone should have the ability to travel at some point and furthering education is a must for many careers. I really like the idea of giving something that will add up to a great experience/opportunity for the child as opposed to a toy or game they will likely get sick of after a bit.

11. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I would definitely consider doing that as long as I was positive that the money would be going to the child. I would suggest opening up a bank account for your nephew. You can add a little bit of money every month. All of that money, plus the interest that comes along with it can really add up.

12. sachishah

sachishahMember

Threads:
    Yes, of course it's the best way to celebrate the special day of our life and make some charity work. Because only parties and enjoyments are not the way for celebration. We are human being & there are some our duties for doing some this kind of work.

13. stevensmith

stevensmithBanned

Threads:
    the idea is good and I'm all up to do the same just tell me the procedure about how and when to donate a college .. or i guess the info i may also find over the web .. going to check what is due on my behalf

14. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I think that is a genius idea! I would love for people to donate to a college fund instead of presents. Clearly there will still be presents and toys, but some money for the future would be great. My house is overrun with too many toys and too many clothes (two girls) so this would be fantastic. I think I might have to suggest this the next time someone asks for a present idea!

15. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely wouldn't mind contributing to a college fund for a child. College tuitions are so expensive you almost need to begin saving at birth for them to go. True students can get scholarships or even students loans to help pay for college. But every child does not have the grades or athletic skill to get a scholarship. The less money you have to take out in student loans the better. I owe so much in student loans it is crazy! I like the idea of giving people the option to contribute to a college fun. I think I will start providing this as an option for my own children.