Driving Safety/Money Saving Tips

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Ruffled • Jun 5, 2014.

1. Ruffled

RuffledNew Member

Threads:
    I put a slash between safety and money saving because sometimes they go hand in hand. A good money saving tip while driving is to maintain 55 mph on the highway. You save a lot of gas by doing that instead of 65 or 70. It's also a good safety tip because you can respond to other traffic better if you are going a bit slower.

Any more tips out there?

2. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    You have put down the most important tip to save fuel. Let me just expand and add a few tips on that. Keeping a constant speed is essential to conserving fuel and not speeding (speeding inducing wind drag that the motor has to spend gasoline to fight) is important. Also, go for slow easy starts (just don't be a traffic hazard about it). If you need to speed up a bit on the highway, take advantage of down slopes to do it. Keep all tires evenly inflated, to the proper pressure, is very important! Keep engine tuned up. Also remember to keep your windows up over about 45 mph and then use A/C if it is really hot. However, rolling down the windows a little is still OK. It's all basic physics, streamlining, conservation of energy. I'm sure you can easily come up with a few more on your own.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    • Use your mirrors always. I notice that some drivers don't use their side and rear view mirrors. Mirrors are there to eliminate blind spots so learn to use them effectively.
    • Always test your breaks before you set off on your way
    • Check your tires before you leave
    • Inspect the fluids of the car every morning
    • When driving in heavy rain, switch on your headlights for safety
    • Try to reach high gear quickly to save on gas

4. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    You're right. If you have a computer on board showing how much MPG you are getting that it is visible when you drive slower and safer. That's what I do, plus I make sure my tyres are always correctly inflated and I don't hit the brakes too hard often.

5. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    Try to drive at a consistent speed, if you are going to do 55mph, stick to 55mph, try not to slow down too much and then speed back up, or vice versa, when safe to do so. Also, I find that sometimes its worth taking a slightly longer route to avoid the traffic saves me more fuel than running through the congested main route.