Driving slower

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Gelsemium • Mar 25, 2014.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are studies that show driving your car at a slower speed does save on the use of gas. I think when they are comparing speeds of vehicles the speed is more like 50 miles per hour compared to 85 miles per hour. Driving too slow in traffic can be a difficult at times, driving slower helps you stay in control of you vehicle more and able to avoid a situation if you are caught off guard. If some ones changes lanes in front of you, you still have time to break or change lanes. I

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a fact Pat, I don't need studies to prove that to me because I always fill my tank and reset my miles counter, so I know how many miles I make per tank and I do know that if I am driving faster, inside the city or with the air conditioner, I will make less miles. So it's just a matter of making the effort to drive slower if we want to keep the money inside our pocket. ;)

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I drive the speed limit or up to ten under. I don't believe in driving too fast in the first place. The speed limit is one thing, but people speeding kills thousands a year. People don't realize this. Driving is a privileged not a right. Sorry I went off on a rant. I don't really worry about my speed and my gas. If I'm on the trip I have saved more than enough for gas, and I am going to take my time and get there when I get there.

4. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    I usually stay around 120 km/hr

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    120 km per hour is a good speed when driving in a highway, but inside the city most zones are up to 50km/h and some are even 30km/h. Either cases, I wonder if when we are driving at 120km/h in a highway we are spending less than when driving at 50km/h inside the city because in the city we are always stopping and starting and that consumes a lot of fuel.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think going the speed of 60 to 75 miles an hour on an interstate is a good way to save gas. Also, assuming there aren't many stop signs, a speed of 50 to 55 on a US highway also saves gas. Ultimately, it simply boils down to whether you can avoid areas with a lot of stop signs etc.. Those cause you to eat up gas.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't worry about the speed I am going to save money but because I follow the rules. I always drive in the speed limit to not get in trouble so it all depends on where I am driving. I think the highest I have driven is 140 km in a freeway. I have learn from your post so I will look into it and maybe I will be saving.

8. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    In that case, I'm a slow driver. My fastest speed is 120 km/h. When I drive fast, I get nervous. I imagine different things like what if a stupid driver would come right at me or what if someone crosses the street. And when driving fast, I tighten my grip on the steering wheel just to make sure I won't lose control. Anyway, it depends on what road you're driving. Within the city, we have a speed limit of mostly at 40km/h and on wide roads at 60km/h.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any car. I just take public vehicle when I want to travel to the capital city or to places I want to go. What interests me here is the saving which traveling to a certain speed per hour a money could be saved. Now my point is: is it true that traveling in a high speed could save a lot of fuel than traveling in a slower speed?

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As per the driving instructor of a nearby driving school here, the optimum speed for an ordinary car (4 cylinders with displacement of less than 2.5 liters) is 60 km to 80 km. For sure you can save on gasoline compared to speeds outside that bracket. However, when you are on a long trip, your tendency is to run fast. With that prescribed speed of 80 kph, it would be very slow, right? What I do is run at 90 kph for 5 to 10 minutes then go back to 80 kph for the same period of time.