Eggs

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by rares209 • Mar 4, 2015.

1. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I was wondering what do you think about eggs. As probably a lot of you know, eggs are very rich in protein and they are very cheap, making them a very good food for fitness enthusiasts. But my parents and other persons told me that they are very bad for your health due to their high cholesterol levels. So, what do you think about them?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The new studies which say eggs are bad for you tend are only partially true. If you have diabetes or a heart problem then eating too many eggs might be bad for you. But I know a few diabetics who eat quail eggs because they don't have as much cholesterol as chicken eggs. So if you can find them and you're willing to spend a little more cash on eggs [they are somewhat pricey] then quail eggs might be the better choice.

You can buy them on Amazon.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recent research shows eggs are good for you as they are a complete protein. They can only be considered high cholesterol if you have a condition already. I eat eggs nearly every day and I don't have high cholesterol. A balanced diet is always good, so if you have them every other day it's fine. In the UK they had a campaign saying 'Start your day with an egg,' because it was good for you.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Each time I see these scare mongering research findings, I just want to scream! Eggs are not bad for you at all. Like Theo says, it's all about being aware of what conditions you have if any and balancing your diet. I too eat them most days, but I've not got any cholesterol or any other life threatening conditions. I always take these findings with a pinch of salt, because they don't always tell the full story.

5. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I love eggs. However, to much of everything is bad and same is true with eggs. Eggs are very high in fats, calories and the cholesterol. Eating to much eggs increased the levels of cholesterol in my body thus increases the risk of heart diseases. To much fat can also lead to weight gain.

To avoid eating to much cholesterol from eggs, eat the white and avoid the yolk. Yolk contains almost all the cholesterol found in egg.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are studies on both sides of the fence.. as everyone else does, you pick your favourite and go with it. We do not need dietary cholesterol. We make what we need on our own and anything more is.. well.. more lol, and I don't want to tip the scales in favour of an illness, so I don't eat them. Mainly because they're cruel lol, but I wouldn't anyway. I may not have a certain illness, but I'm not going to gamble with my chances of creating that illness either. Not to mention, it gets higher on it's own for many reasons, like aging alone will do it.. hormone changes, diet, medication. It's not something to play around with, so it's not just about whether or not you have heart disease right now.. it's about all factors and yes, an egg a day could tip that scale for most people these days.

Many people die in their 90s having eaten eggs their whole lives and others die young eating eggs their whole lives.. just pick a study! lol.

7. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Yes, you are right, I remember reading somethig similar a while ago about risks for people who already have health problems, but the article was ambiguous so it didn't help me very much. Thanks for the answer.

8. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    This is the reason I love eating eggs. That complete protein it's hard to find in foods and they are easy to prepare. On the other side, cholesterol won't be a problem for me since I'm very young so I don't see why I should stop consuming eggs. Thanks!

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think many studies focus on egg yolk (which is richer in fat and cholesterol) However egg whites are pretty much pure protein and great for consuming after a workout. You could consider consuming egg whites and saving the egg yolks for specific recipes which call for them, like custard or cookies.

10. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I have read on both sides about good and bad of eating eggs, but I am still eating them periodically. I don't eat egg every day, so it won't be a concern for me. I think with anything, moderation is the best measure, and don't believe 100% on what you heard or read.

11. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I know that the yolk is the "bad guy"in this story, but I find it hard to get rid of it when I want to eat some eggs. It means that I'm wasting some protein and it's not likely that I will be using it in any ways and I really don't want to waste it.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually the cholesterols in the egg aren't really harmful because when you eat them, your body produces less cholesterol that it needs, so in some way it offsets the cholesterol production in the body, and so the body cholesterol still remain in balance. And if you are really worried about the cholesterol, you might want to take off the egg white, since the protein is concentrated in the egg white - this is what I do.

13. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Now I'm really convinced that the eggs are not harmful at all. I know that I can separate the "bad part" of an egg, but I just don't want to waste some good grams of protein, but whi knows, maybe I'll change my mind...

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not saying eggs are unhealthy. I'm still on the fence about them myself, but deciding something absolutely is healthy based on a few sentences in a forum with no studies to back it up because you want it to be true isn't really the best thing to do if you really care about the topic lol. You're ignoring a lot of good science out there. I realize you're probably just making conversation here, but when it comes to those who really want to know, I hope when they read this, they take this with a grain of salt and look up the information themselves. Real studies. Where you will find what's mentioned here and the exact opposite. It's not just about cholesterol.. animal proteins are challenged as well. The body and the egg is far more complex then what is made out here and each point made is valid and has a valid challenge. PS: if you're going to assume it's healthy, eat the whole egg. If the studies on that side are correct, you're depriving yourself by separating the egg.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In moderation, eggs are perfectly healthy for human beings to consume. The fact is that they contain healthy cholesterol, despite being high in cholesterol. There is such a thing as too much good cholesterol, but you can consume eggs on a regular basis without putting yourself at a high risk for health issues.

16. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Everything should be taken in moderation. While eggs can be a rich source of protein, it also has its flaws. I used to love eggs, scrambled, sunny side up, or boiled eggs until I developed a high cholesterol level. The doctor gave me a lists of foods, the what not-to-eat, and what-to-eat lists. Eggs was listed as to be eaten in moderation, at least once a week. I am not going to compromise my health over cholesterol issues. So much as I love eggs, I have to follow the doctor's advice. Having eggs at least once a week is fine with me and it really helps lower my cholesterol level.

17. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Eggs contain a lot of protein and that is great for people that workout!

18. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Eggs are great, healthy and rich in protein, like you guys have already mentioned; however, this can apply only if you eat them moderately, as there are some potential bad side effects that could occur in your body due to eating excessively. As everything else in this world, everything that's being taken excessively will undoubtedly harm you, so will eggs. They have indeed a lot of cholesterol, and in spite of some news trying to minimalize this specific aspect, it's very-well known already.
    So, eggs are a fast way to eat something healthy, but I personally wouldn't rush and say I'd eat them every day, even if I had the biggest urge of doing so. :)

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is so hard to know what is really the truth about the health benefits of eggs. I believe in moderation in these types of things, many may hurt a few will not. Eggs have benefits we all need, we just need to use common sense in how many we eat daily.

20. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The egg will not raise the cholesterol of all people-but a few people will have a problem as far as this goes and only slightly at that. Also eating eggs raises the good cholesterol (HDL)which reduces the risk of many diseases. There are studies showing that eating eggs are very good for your eyesite because they contain some powerful antioxidants called lutein and zeaxanthin- these build up in the retina of the eye and they reduce the risk of cataracts.